Justin Atkins

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Is now at DT...As mentioned yesterday in the AJC.

He has put has some good size and appears to be still growing.

Another note is that the coaches really feel like they have a great one in Darius Commissiong.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Great news. It seems like it is always hardest for us to recruit (and develop?) DTs, but they are so essential to any successful defense. Here is a link to his profile: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/justin_akins_853649.html
There it says he weighs 240, so I don't think any of us had any idea he would grow into DT size. How much weight has he put on? Do you think Akins or Commissiong will play this year? Are they currently on the two-deep?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think they always knew he had size coming. He was recruited as a 3-4 DE. He's going / to be great.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Great news. It seems like it is always hardest for us to recruit (and develop?) DTs, but they are so essential to any successful defense. Here is a link to his profile: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/justin_akins_853649.html
There it says he weighs 240, so I don't think any of us had any idea he would grow into DT size. How much weight has he put on? Do you think Akins or Commissiong will play this year? Are they currently on the two-deep?

He is around 265-270 last I heard.

They have two more weeks to prove that they should play this year...Personally I could see one playing but not both.

There is no two deep yet as camp is just now getting into the swing of things but they will likely be 3rd.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I wonder if it's just to add depth at DT and these two guys are the "best of the rest" to fill the need?

It is not just a depth move as Atkins isn't likely to play this year...we have Gotsis, Cummings, Kitchens, Kallon and Greene when he comes back.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Kevin Robbins is at 263 npgTNIC.jpg
npgTNIC.jpg

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Boy, Robbins Dad wasn't joking about his son working his tail off this off-season.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I actually like how Tech was recruiting for a 3-4 and I think Groh's system was the flaw not the ability to recruit to it. Tech's line was probably gonna average around 300lb's under Groh, but with Roof it'll be a lot smaller but quicker. Personally I prefer big boys in the trenches.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I actually like how Tech was recruiting for a 3-4 and I think Groh's system was the flaw not the ability to recruit to it. Tech's line was probably gonna average around 300lb's under Groh, but with Roof it'll be a lot smaller but quicker. Personally I prefer big boys in the trenches.

Agreed somewhat.

I like bigger guys in the trenches but I would much rather have an aggressive blitzing style on DL as well...last year our starting DL averaged out to 305 pounds but we were getting pushed around.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I wish Shamire looked like that, too.

I want Shamire to play and not redshirt. He the type that needs that type of motivation and plus like I typed earlier I love beef in the trenches and he has it. I'm so tired of seeing our oline unable to block out defenders and not getting the push we need. That ain't gonna be a problem for Shamire. Ideally he needs to get to 335'lbs and he good.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Agreed somewhat.

I like bigger guys in the trenches but I would much rather have an aggressive blitzing style on DL as well...last year our starting DL averaged out to 305 pounds but we were getting pushed around.

Is that a function of talent level or coaching. The more I think about it, with Barnes limited ability to maintain leverage he should have played DE and Cross NT. I thought Cross did a better job of getting lower anyway.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I want Shamire to play and not redshirt. He the type that needs that type of motivation and plus like I typed earlier I love beef in the trenches and he has it. I'm so tired of seeing our oline unable to block out defenders and not getting the push we need. That ain't gonna be a problem for Shamire. Ideally he needs to get to 335'lbs and he good.
It's real tough for OL's not to RS, even if they're physically capable. There's just so much to learn and it has to be automatic on the field.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sorry just forget to post him...Gamble has been looking good. He is likely to be the first off the bench right now. We have more depth at DT than people think.
Eric is spot on. We really have some good depth going on right now at that position. These true freshman are killing it.

As everyone as probably read...the light came on for Jimmie Kitchen this spring. Well Darius Commissiong is already outplaying him so far from what I have heard. But it is still really close.

Atkins and Kallon are even.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Eric is spot on. We really have some good depth going on right now at that position. These true freshman are killing it.

As everyone as probably read...the light came on for Jimmie Kitchen this spring. Well Darius Commissiong is already outplaying him so far from what I have heard. But it is still really close.

Atkins and Kallon are even.
All of this is extremely encouraging to hear. DT has been one of our scariest positions in my perception since Vance and Darryl graduated. Love having great young athletes there that could grow into playmakers.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I will say it now, but if our DL is good, then our D is going to improve mightily. I really think our LB's and Secondary will be good regardless, but my question mark was the DL and the inability to stop teams who were big and physical from just pounding us last year. If that is fixed, we will be a 9-11 win ball club.