Justin Akins to transfer

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I had Neff for Statistics and Killer Cain for Calculus same quarter, winter 1974.

Had Neff for an F for Calc I. I read in the alumni magazine a few years ago where he had passed away.

He liked to use rhymes to help us memorize rules for derivatives. Ho d hi minus hi d ho over ho ho.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
US History was horrible. I also had a Operations prof. Who bragged about his Exxon job and unnecessarily made 9 different copies of his test. Highest grade on his test was a 63.

Man, things must have been bad to transfer after, give or take, 18hrs into Tech. He is still in his "easy classes"
Best of luck to Akins
US History was horrible. I also had a Operations prof. Who bragged about his Exxon job and unnecessarily made 9 different copies of his test. Highest grade on his test was a 63.

Man, things must have been bad to transfer after, give or take, 18hrs into Tech. He is still in his "easy classes"
Best of luck to Akins

Had US History when the prof walked in and promptly told the class that his name was "Bastard White" and he deserves his name. Sadly, I had to agree with him by the middle of the quarter.

Animal02

Banned
Had US History when the prof walked in and promptly told the class that his name was "Bastard White" and he deserves his name. Sadly, I had to agree with him by the middle of the quarter.
The US history I had was a breeze....took it m last quarter.....3 test and a final.....the prof allowed everyone to drop the lowest grade. As a graduating senior I was exempt from the final......had a B+ after the first two tests.....4 weeks into the quarter......never went back.....had by terminal Arch. project to finish. One of the easiest classes I took (after intro to ceramics and the Drama Tech/English classes) ;)

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Had Neff for an F for Calc I. I read in the alumni magazine a few years ago where he had passed away.

He liked to use rhymes to help us memorize rules for derivatives. Ho d hi minus hi d ho over ho ho.

Sad to hear that, he was a nice guy, but a ball buster. Cain was even worse.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anyone have the Bamboo Shaft? I was fortunate to survive 3 reamings: C, B, A

He thought I was insane after 2 F's on 1st 2 tests. F'd the 3rd and he agreed to give me my final exam grade. Said he never had anyone score a better grade on it. I'm sure he regrets that decision to this day that ****.

Was that Prof. Chen ... Had him for Statics... "statics is easy... if it is moving... it not static..." He's when I learned that open note /open book tests were NOT easy!

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
... I learned that open note /open book tests were NOT easy!

If Open Book/Open Note testing was mentioned on the first day of class, I was headed back to O'Keefe for Drop/Add. Profs usually made tests wicked difficult in those situations. I hated registering for "Dr. Shaft", it was like a box of chocolates - you never knew what you were going to get.

The rigors of the Institute (even on the M Train), being an athlete and how dumb 18 year olds can be - it is amazing that so many can go the distance. There appears to be so many more non-engineering majors now (Applied Languages & Intercultural Studies, Global Economics and Modern Languages, History - Technology and Society, International Affairs, Public Policy, Science - Technology and Culture (Really??!!??)) but I am sure that each one has its own GT twist on things.

Best of luck to Mr. Akins. D1 football is certainly not an automatic NFL contract. In today's economy he will need a degree in something, and as the NCAA says he will probably go "pro" in something other than football. Look out for #1 son, because no one else will.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agreed @ClydeBrick. Also, check the Lounge. I started a thread for GT (or other) academic horror stories in the Lounge. These stories bring back painful memories and are actually pretty entertaining.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dr. Skellon was our Mass transfer professor. The average on the first test was a 30 and he said if you had a 15 to drop the class.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You guys bring back lots of memories!
In 65 for calc I had Cain who was tough but a good teacher. My buddies across hall in Howell had "steamboat Fulton" who was famous for capital F at end of quarter. They were in state guys who had weaker math background so they lagged at first. I helped for the first 6 weeks and they busted *** ( after freshman football practice) and we all got A's. They both went on to do well at tech and later- one started oil company and one was nuclear sub commander. After tech everything is easy!

Not sure with all the foreign students (who really are foreign engr grads who come to tech to get a real degree) I could repeat that feat.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The worst I had was structures......Arch structures that was taught by an AE prof.....and he hated architects.......needless to say, that class was a 5 hr. repeat. :sick:
Was that with Dr. Craig? I remember making a combined average of something like a 28 going into the final exam. Didn't do any better on it, but somehow ended up with a B.... That guy was crazy. He had written his own book that we had to use for the class. It was the worst piece of crap textbook I had ever seen. I kept telling people, "No way in hell this ever gets published." Then it did...

Animal02

Banned
Was that with Dr. Craig? I remember making a combined average of something like a 28 going into the final exam. Didn't do any better on it, but somehow ended up with a B.... That guy was crazy. He had written his own book that we had to use for the class. It was the worst piece of crap textbook I had ever seen. I kept telling people, "No way in hell this ever gets published." Then it did...

I cannot remember the AE prof's name - I do remember the final - 4 problems - took me 2 hrs to get through the first one, and another 1/2 to check - didn't check - walked out at that point. I took it "out of sequence" the following quarter - had a arch prof, didn't learn a thing more and got a B.

Had a couple of arch prof's that wrote their own books and we were forced to buy them for their classes. Not quite the scam that the prof in the news was running ;)

Animal02

Banned
Reminds me of a Business Law final I witnessed wherein a certain high profile b'ball player who went on to NBA and some TV fame pull out some "help" from under his chair.

One of my best friends at Tech had a FB player for a roommate - He would talk about how copies of tests got slid under the door the night before it was given.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Def Bods with Wempner and then Ung. Chemical Process Principles with Yoganathan (the reason I transferred from ChE). Polymer Chemistry with Desai.
There was a prominent piece of graffiti that said "yoganathan sucks". Wish I could remember where it was. Passed it every day. Never had that ***** but my roommate did.