Just wondering....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
......if CPJ went ahead and told Roof to go look for a new job before the season was over (like maybe after the UVa game), I have to wonder if that might explain the lackluster finish in the last 2 games.

Note: this is NOT a shot at anyone. I can see CPJ being honorable enough to tell Roof once his mind was made up. I can see Roof handling it with great professionalism. I believe everyone tried their best. But I also think we are all human and maybe, just maybe it had an impact. Maybe a positive one vs VPI&SU and maybe a negative impact vs Duke and UGa.

Just a thought. It surely would explain a lot in my mind...

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
But the VT game which was one of the best defensive performances came right after the UVA game

Oh wait you said that in the next part of your post my bad. That's what I get for not reading the whole thing

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Heck, it’s the internet. I am just wildly speculating. Could have happened during halftime of the Duke game...LOL

BUZZ NATION

Georgia Tech Fan
The end of the Miami game did it for me. I could not believe was not fired in the locker room. I like CTR as a Tech man and he is a very nice person. I wish him the very best.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I said it a little after the season ended. Would not surprise me if CPJ said "Ted, if a job offer presents itself, you may want to take it." From rumblings of Ted having to take a different role and step down from DC, that may have been exactly what happened.

I'm glad to see Roof was able to find another job and GT didn't have to fire him. He may not have given us the defenses we all wanted, but he was a GT guy, and represented GT well. I wish him well at NC State...unless they play GT.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
......if CPJ went ahead and told Roof to go look for a new job before the season was over (like maybe after the UVa game), I have to wonder if that might explain the lackluster finish in the last 2 games.

Note: this is NOT a shot at anyone. I can see CPJ being honorable enough to tell Roof once his mind was made up. I can see Roof handling it with great professionalism. I believe everyone tried their best. But I also think we are all human and maybe, just maybe it had an impact. Maybe a positive one vs VPI&SU and maybe a negative impact vs Duke and UGa.

Just a thought. It surely would explain a lot in my mind...

I understand your thinking. What you say could be true, except that we had similar lackluster defensive performances for the past 5 years. Now that I think about it, the past 10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
From outside it looks like PJ told him some changes were needed. He has the chance to add a coach and could be TR was going to lose some autonomy with the hire. He chose to move on rather than whatever the change. Huxtable and Roof go back a long way. NCSU runs the a similar style D with Huxtable. They want to have roof for recruiting atlanta and he knows the ACC. Even the players knew some changes were coming.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The end of the Miami game did it for me. I could not believe was not fired in the locker room. I like CTR as a Tech man and he is a very nice person. I wish him the very best.
His defense actually did what it was supposed to do: force a 4th and long Hail Mary that easily gets knocked down 99% of the time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Miami marched down the field like 50 yards before that play in about 1.5 minutes running the same bubble screen repeatedly. They did not do what they were supposed to do.
Give up yards not points is the idea. Up until the miracle 4th and long, the D did just that. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked as designed. 99 times out of 100 that ball is not completed.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure CPJ was honest with Ted about where he stood. The fact that no changes were made until after the signing period and that Ted took another job; tells me that the parting wasn't entirely acrimonious. Probably a mutual agreement it was time for a change. CTR has always been a job hopper. The 5 years at Tech was his longest stay anywhere in his career.

I'm just speculating, but when he took the job at Tech there were two big factors. His kids were about to start high school. Moving back home to GA let them play high school ball here (Where I assume their extended family is?). Also, gave them a better chance to play at Dad's alma mater. Secondly, CPJ's seat was getting pretty warm after 3 mediocre seasons and the Groh disaster. CTR could well have been in position to get an interim-to-permanent audition as HC if history had gone differently. I have to think Tech HC was/is his dream job.

Five years later, those factors have changed. CTR wouldn't have a shot at the HC job if CPJ were fired. TD is on the team*. The grass at Ma Tech probably wasn't as green as he remembered.

*(I know there's a lot of speculation that he'll follow his Dad to NCSt. But having your Dad as a coach is one of those things that sounds better than it is. While I'm speculating wildly, I'll say maybe the stress of D1 football was straining their personal relationship and that was part of Ted's desire to move on.)

GTFLETCH

Banned
No clue when the decision to let roof go was made. But you knew something was going to happen as soon as the two locker room videos of lance and step were released.

This was not just CPJ, this was TSTAN and booster (think P. SWILLING LEVEL)

slugboy

Staff member
I think 5 years as a DC at on location is solid job continuity. I wouldn’t call Roof a job hopper at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The one positive is, TSTAN is not just an AD, he was a player. Rather than CPJ, I can see TSTAN reviewing the last five years of all coaches and telling CPJ ... “I think it’s time for a change at DC.”

If so, I am not at all unhappy that TSTAN and CPJ are working together this way.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The one positive is, TSTAN is not just an AD, he was a player. Rather than CPJ, I can see TSTAN reviewing the last five years of all coaches and telling CPJ ... “I think it’s time for a change at DC.”

If so, I am not at all unhappy that TSTAN and CPJ are working together this way.
I hope he gave a hint about the ol. Big disappointment this past year and recent attrition of quality seniors is not a plan.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Give up yards not points is the idea. Up until the miracle 4th and long, the D did just that. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked as designed. 99 times out of 100 that ball is not completed.
This ignores their touchdown at the end of the first half, and it ignores the fact that they only needed three points, not seven. Had they needed a touchdown, I’d agree with you.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This ignores their touchdown at the end of the first half, and it ignores the fact that they only needed three points, not seven. Had they needed a touchdown, I’d agree with you.
I was only referring to the final drive of the Miami game. Most of time it failed in the two minute drill.