Just watching Nebraska . . .

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
. . . and they remind me a lot of us. Just seem to beat themselves with mistakes and just a plain inability to rise to the occassion. I know they have a proud program and must be to the point of exhaustion with Coach Frost and his inability to get the program moving in the right direction. It should be working for them but it's not. Their biggest problem is they have a quarterback who looks the part but when you have to have it, he just does not get it done. We are in a similar predicament. Jeff is a great athlete and capable of breaking a big play anytime but in reality he has not demonstrated he can consistently be effective as a passer and a playmaker. I am hoping he makes a big leap this season for he is clearly the best option we have right now. The bottomline is, we can not build around him until he proves he is a winner and a difference maker. The Nebraska QB, Martinez, is what I call a Coach killer. I hope Sims doesn't prove to be the same.

Go Tech!

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
There are certainly aspects where you are spot on. We definitely need to clean up the mistakes and not beat ourselves. I do have to disagree about Sims, though. Martinez is a junior while last year Sims was starting as a true freshman without a preseason.

Now if Sims doesn't show substantial improvement this year having had a year in the system and an actual off-season, then I'll be more than willing to concede your point. At the moment, though, I'd say it's a bit premature.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand the Op‘s comment as I also saw some of those just chunk it off the back foot passes that floated last year. But, Sims was a true freshman who looking at his high school tape was coached to just win which means he wasn’t really developed as a passer. We will know by mid October if he is a QB or just an athlete. I’m rooting for him.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Their biggest problem is they have a quarterback who looks the part but when you have to have it, he just does not get it done. We are in a similar predicament. Jeff is a great athlete and capable of breaking a big play anytime but in reality he has not demonstrated he can consistently be effective as a passer and a playmaker. I am hoping he makes a big leap this season for he is clearly the best option we have right now. The bottomline is, we can not build around him until he proves he is a winner and a difference maker. The Nebraska QB, Martinez, is what I call a Coach killer. I hope Sims doesn't prove to be the same.
I don't like this QB comparison. Martinez is a red shirt senior and 3 time captain of his team and he still screws the pooch. That is on Frost. Simms is a true sophomore with one spring under his belt. I expect he will turn out much better than Martinez by the time he is a Senior.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't like this QB comparison.

I don't either. Perhaps the OP is a younger fan or merely has forgotten about Joe Hamilton. Joe had to go through growing pains as a young QB. We (middle aged fans and up) remember the finished product...the guy who as a senior may have been as good a QB as anyone who ever played the game at the college level...but forget that he wasn't that guy in the beginning. Not saying Simms will become #14, just that it is too early to say what he is or will be. Especially given the OL struggles last year, which I and probably most of us, expect to be much improved this fall.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I don't like this QB comparison. Martinez is a red shirt senior and 3 time captain of his team and he still screws the pooch. That is on Frost. Simms is a true sophomore with one spring under his belt. I expect he will turn out much better than Martinez by the time he is a Senior.
This. Sims was an 18 year old kid last year with no Spring, no real Summer/Fall, and no blocking.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
. . . and they remind me a lot of us. Just seem to beat themselves with mistakes and just a plain inability to rise to the occassion. I know they have a proud program and must be to the point of exhaustion with Coach Frost and his inability to get the program moving in the right direction. It should be working for them but it's not. Their biggest problem is they have a quarterback who looks the part but when you have to have it, he just does not get it done. We are in a similar predicament. Jeff is a great athlete and capable of breaking a big play anytime but in reality he has not demonstrated he can consistently be effective as a passer and a playmaker. I am hoping he makes a big leap this season for he is clearly the best option we have right now. The bottomline is, we can not build around him until he proves he is a winner and a difference maker. The Nebraska QB, Martinez, is what I call a Coach killer. I hope Sims doesn't prove to be the same.

Go Tech!
Come on. He was a true freshman last year. Let's get real.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
There are certainly aspects where you are spot on. We definitely need to clean up the mistakes and not beat ourselves. I do have to disagree about Sims, though. Martinez is a junior while last year Sims was starting as a true freshman without a preseason.

Now if Sims doesn't show substantial improvement this year having had a year in the system and an actual off-season, then I'll be more than willing to concede your point. At the moment, though, I'd say it's a bit premature.
I feel like our expectations are too high for young QBs. There are a few in college football every year who get the job done as freshman, but I’d rather not have a QB start who isn’t at least a redshirt sophomore. Now the best of the best may not wait that long to start, but college football is a big jump from high school. I think last year’s experience should really help Jeff, but I still want to see us run the ball about 65% of the time this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Go Tech!
I understand your concerns but the comparisons do not seem legit to me. Martinez is a senior and has started for three years. Jeff was thrown into the fire as a freshman and shows tremendous upside. Coach Collins' fate rests more on line play on both sides of the ball than on who is playing quarterback it would seem to me. Your observations about Coach Frost are spot on. Seems like just yesterday that Florida fans were lamenting letting him get away to Nebraska and he was the most sought after big name coach of that year. Funny, how these things work out sometimes.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Not even close with a QB comparison as of right now.

it’s not 1990 anymore. What kid wants to go to Lincoln in 2021? (Unless a big corn farmer has some money for an NIL deal)

“Go Jackets!”

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched the same game (the second half at least) and thought the QB was fine. He wasn't a hero, but he made a nice high pressure pass on 4th down for a touchdown, no INTs, some really nice runs when receivers weren't open. They just had a ton of mistakes at other positions. To me, the post kinda feels like you had something you wanted to post and backed an argument into it (because I don't really agree with the assessment of Martinez tonight).

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Watched the entire game today and respectfully as several noted hard to compare your QB with Martinez.

He is considered a huge disappointment by most of Husker Nation...and he and Scott Frost are joined at the hip. Even worse, there's not a number 2 that Frost is voluntarily willing to put on the field.

Freeze-frame today and the rest of Nebbie's season and look at it in 2 years compared to where Tech is then.

Nebraska is not improving. We'll see if Tech brings it up a notch this year...and 2 years from now.

We have saying along with Row the Boat...brick by brick. Applies to Tech too.