just watched

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
most of VT and Miami games and even though there were breakdowns on D there were some very good plays made. I am not saying D is great or even good by no means but they do show a lot of heart and that is encouraging to me as a fan. I believe it also shows the players have bought into what their coaches are doing which is the greatest positive to me. Just my opinion.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
most of VT and Miami games and even though there were breakdowns on D there were some very good plays made. I am not saying D is great or even good by no means but they do show a lot of heart and that is encouraging to me as a fan. I believe it also shows the players have bought into what their coaches are doing which is the greatest positive to me. Just my opinion.

I've also rewatched all the games. While it's true that they play with a lot of effort, our undersized DL gets manhandled at the point of attack. Shawn Green and to a lesser extent, Adam Gotsis are the only ones holding their own. Freeman is a good athlete, but needs another year before we can get really good production from him.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Watch the play around 11:20 of the 4th Quarter of the Pitt game. PJ blows his gasket at DJ White for playing soft on 3rd down.

I agree with PJ but I don't agree with DJ being the issue here. DJ is doing what he is told to do. Our corners have been doing it all year. Again I am not dogging any coaches but unless PJ called the defense himself then DJ is not the issue here but if by some chance PJ called the D then I stand corrected.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Our defense has been playing schemes called by our defensive coordinator, Ted Roof, and he has been making those calls based on the personnel he currently has on his roster; personnel that was signed, for the most part, to play in a 3-4 defense rather than a 4-3-4 defense or a 4-2-5 defense.

To overcome what are current "physical limitations" on our current roster, Roof originally employed a bend but dont break style of defense, which, has times, given us occasional stops that has given the team a chance to win close games. However, it has also caused us to get burned on more than one occassion, so Roof appears to be "experimenting" with becoming a more aggressive/attacking style of defense, which makes more sense as players on the current roster have either now been playing under his system for a couple of years, or were recruited specifically by him and are more "physically suited" for his style of defense.

If things continue under this path, I believe our defense will continue to be more aggressive and be more effective the rest of the season.