Just asking after watching GT for my entire life.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs is the only player of significance that Tech has lost to the portal. 3 starters on this year’s offense, the kicker, and a starting LB all came from the portal. It looks like we’re going to add 2 more starting OL via the portal next year. GT is benefitting from the portal as much as anybody. If we won more than 3 games this year I bet Gibbs hangs around as well.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Like I said, this period is the same or slightly better as our previous dark days from 79 to 83 when we won 15 games. And we agree that he is not a good coach and has one year (due to financial constraints) to prove that he isn't.

WTBS, there isn't one school (Bama, OSU, ND, UT (Austin),Oklahoma, USC west...meaning the true upper echelon of football shools) that hasn't hired a dud or two. I am of the mindset that this too shall pass. Just have to keep keeping on as they.
Flea Thanks for voicing your concerns.

You are not the first person to post recent questions about the current state of the program.

To quote Solomon
What has been will be again,
What has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.”

And I agree w 4Shots comments that this isn’t GT’s first rodeo going thru a desert of misery. I was also there during the Curry years.

And then we reached an oasis - 1990. And now the program has wandered back in the desert. They will reach another oasis….eventually.

My loyalty lies with the school and program, I will cheer them on no matter who the coach is. I will continue to buy season tickets and attend games even when there is a sea of red in our home stadium.

Collins is here for Year 4, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Also the adds/losses thru the transfer portal will have to be measured retrospectively (at the end of the season). Some transfers pan out and some don’t. Some incoming freshmen pan out and some don’t. There is nothing new under the sun.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Gibbs is the only player of significance that Tech has lost to the portal. 3 starters on this year’s offense, the kicker, and a starting LB all came from the portal. It looks like we’re going to add 2 more starting OL via the portal next year. GT is benefitting from the portal as much as anybody. If we won more than 3 games this year I bet Gibbs hangs around as well.
Did you play ? How about the locker room, a player works his *** off for 3 years, and the " Money down " coach transfers in players, from schools not as hard as GT, instantly makes them leaders...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did you play ? How about the locker room, a player works his *** off for 3 years, and the " Money down " coach transfers in players, from schools not as hard as GT, instantly makes them leaders... This is horrible. Its not going to end well.
I agree with you, flea. The other players we are losing do matter in so many ways, and we may not be through losing guys just yet. I hope we are. But, either way, it will not end well.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So, I remember going to the Varsity and the Jr Varsity w my Dad.It was awesome watching 25 inch color TV's. We were not UGA fans, and the AJC was heavy GT. I ended up playing at UGA, so we became UGA fans. My older son played baseball at UGA, Football at GT, my younger Will comitted to CPJ when he was a Sophomore in HS. We were very impressed w the education and the staff. The pitch was the education. So where R U now w the trans portal.. GT used to be Competitive. Even my Sons Freshman year, when they only won 3 game ,they were in every game except for CU , and beat FSU. GT is at the lowest level that I can remember and im 59 years old.
GT football was at the lowest level in 1980 and 1981 when we won 2 games total. This era is similar because, like in 1980 we were coming out of an era of running the triple option. It is not a coincidence. Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas etc all ran the triple option. It works, but you can't recruit for it. Those schools figured it out, but our athletic board didn't in 2007. Most of our fans still haven't.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The late 70s and early 80s were super rough.

I think poor coaching, clock management and lack of player development as examples, have killed us. Of course a thin o-line never helps.

With the exception of the false hope against Clemson and the "wow, we've finally figured it out" game against UNC, we've seen limited if any improvement since the 2019 opener against Citadel. Sure we've been "close" in some of the games but never had the feeling we were going to pull it out.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Did you play ? How about the locker room, a player works his *** off for 3 years, and the " Money down " coach transfers in players, from schools not as hard as GT, instantly makes them leaders...
I don't know if he played or not, but neither did Paul Johnson. What does that have to do with anything? As disappointing as the results have been, I would hate see where our OL and DL and LB would be without transfers. And that's where games are won. Which you should know.
This biggest problem in this locker room--on defense at least-- is a Johnson recruit who has been here four years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Of course, the defense has been abysmal the last 3 years. Third and long on defense sometimes seem better chance of the opposition getting a first and then a coin flip.

If I never here " it's money down!!!" again it'll still be once too often.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
GT football was at the lowest level in 1980 and 1981 when we won 2 games total. This era is similar because, like in 1980 we were coming out of an era of running the triple option. It is not a coincidence. Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas etc all ran the triple option. It works, but you can't recruit for it. Those schools figured it out, but our athletic board didn't in 2007. Most of our fans still haven'
I don't know if he played or not, but neither did Paul Johnson. What does that have to do with anything? As disappointing as the results have been, I would hate see where our OL and DL and LB would be without transfers. And that's where games are won. Which you should know.
This biggest problem in this locker room--on defense at least-- is a Johnson recruit who has been here four years.
My point is Leadership is earned. Not appointed. maybe you are closer the current experience than I am.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Flea, I’m glad you are still on this this site. I always enjoyed your posts. I’m interested in what your son has to say about the current state (if you’re at liberty to say). I’ve been a GT fan since the sixties and a sidewalk-fan-season-ticket holder for 15+ years. I’m frustrated with the way things are going (both during and after this season), but I know my negativity may be an emotional response, so I would like to hear from someone who is more invested with the program than me.
Thanks , Both Sons, still cheer for the Gold ! Both are married , and Im going o be a grand dad ! Will is the Strength Coach at Reinhardt. Justin is a Project Mgr. The GT family, stays in touch . Getting out of GT has value !

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Of course, the defense has been abysmal the last 3 years. Third and long on defense sometimes seem better chance of the opposition getting a first and then a coin flip.

If I never here " it's money down!!!" again it'll still be once too often.
Hear not here... Damn auto correct.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys, sorry to *****, I just want GT to be back. I got hammered last week with pics of a red stadium... I still face that BS even though Will has not played in 3 years, The crack sniffers dont ever give up. How about for one time, the next time Ga plays at GT, GT fills the stadium up.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys, sorry to *****, I just want GT to be back. I got hammered last week with pics of a red stadium... I still face that BS even though Will has not played in 3 years, The crack sniffers dont ever give up. How about for one time, the next time Ga plays at GT, GT fills the stadium up.
Flea, we love you here, and we deeply appreciate Will and his contribution to Tech and the football program. And as @slugboy said, we are all struggling thru this mess. But in the end, all of us (you and Will included) love Georgia Tech and only want what is best for the Institute and GTAA. Thank you for your support, and please stay connected with us.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t play football but I did play baseball. It happens every year in baseball. Juco transfers come in and take spots from guys who were counting on playing in their junior and senior years. It happens. You can either be a man about it and accept the fact that it’s going to help the team, or you can whine and pout. But guess what, the guy that whines and pouts about it gets outcast anyway.

Also, this is completely irrelevant to your original point, so nice try on moving the goalposts.

GTBlaze

Banned
So, I remember going to the Varsity and the Jr Varsity w my Dad.It was awesome watching 25 inch color TV's. We were not UGA fans, and the AJC was heavy GT. I ended up playing at UGA, so we became UGA fans. My older son played baseball at UGA, Football at GT, my younger Will comitted to CPJ when he was a Sophomore in HS. We were very impressed w the education and the staff. The pitch was the education. So where R U now w the trans portal.. GT used to be Competitive. Even my Sons Freshman year, when they only won 3 game ,they were in every game except for CU , and beat FSU. GT is at the lowest level that I can remember and im 59 years old.
College football has turned into what reminds of me big corporate business

The googles, facebooks, Amazon’s, Walmart’s, apples, ESPN, Disney, etc etc etc just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger and the small mom and pop stores are taking a beating

It’s now turned I RJ this formula with college football

For gods sake $95 million for a freaking college football coach? Give me a break

I used to love waking up every Saturday morning watching game day and spend all day watching great college football games.

Now it is just a bunch of garbage games… empty stadiums… boring ESPN or Bally broadcast games

To me.. college football is ruined and it’s only going to get worse each year

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the red, we are one of very few teams who do not have a fan color. It’s our own fault that even when we don’t have an influx from UGA, Clemson, etc that our Bobby Dodd crowd looks like a consortium of random people. If GT fans actually wore a bright, loud color that signified GT those photos and this constant theme wouldn’t be nearly as bad. I always wear Gold/ Yellow. Call me crazy. But very few others do. I’ve seen gray, blue, black, gold, white. It’s just crazy. I remember going to our last bowl game in Jacksonville. The Kentucky section was all wearing blue which looked great. The GT section looked like folks from the local mall. How hard would it be for the school or head coach get behind a program to actually look like a fan base. Heck, KSU had more gold in our stadium than we did.