Just a general question about recruiting ( not a specific player or team )

stech81

Helluva Engineer
With the early signing period this year I have a question. I'm pretty sure I know the answer for Tech . But what do other coaches do if an early committed player does not sign his LOI at the early signing date ? Does this tell the coach that player is really not that committed to his school ? Has any coach made a statement on how they plan to handle this if it happens ? I know the SEC coaches did not like the early signing period.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure CPJ's POV on that is the same with his idea of letting a kid sign anytime he becomes a senior:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...niors-sign-at-any-time-recruiting-signing-day

If a kid said he was committed, you hand him the papers. If he didn’t sign, you knew he wasn’t committed. The same thing on the schools. If the kid went in, and they said, ‘You’ve got an offer,’ and the kid wants to sign, (he’d) call their bluff as well. I just think it would clean the whole thing up and put the onus back on the good students and kids who want to do it right.”

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just another general recruiting question. Is Ga Tech's strategy for making offers different than others? Would appear we might make a quicker offer than other teams to 2/3 star players in hopes to get them committed. Some other schools seem to wait to see if they truly have a spot for them or are still evaluating the player. Is that right or just flat wrong? I know we stand by our commitments so when we make an offer we mean it.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
One thing I know is we give out a much smaller number of total offers than most schools. Looking it up we are 60/65 among P5 schools in numbers of players offered this year as of May 2017

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Early signing does not work unless it is before the senior year. I guess it shortens some recruiting time and hand holding a little.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing I have thought about as a possible consequence of a pre-senior season signing period, how long will it be before schools start putting pressure on signees not to play their senior HS season in fear of injuries? Think about it. If you are a college program and you have signed LOIs out there (counting against your 25/85), how many ACL tears, in effect wasting a scholarship for two seasons on average, are you going to tolerate? It puts the schools at risk in a far greater way than they are now. At first glance, I really like the early early signing period for the reasons mentioned, but.....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
One thing I have thought about as a possible consequence of a pre-senior season signing period, how long will it be before schools start putting pressure on signees not to play their senior HS season in fear of injuries? Think about it. If you are a college program and you have signed LOIs out there (counting against your 25/85), how many ACL tears, in effect wasting a scholarship for two seasons on average, are you going to tolerate? It puts the schools at risk in a far greater way than they are now. At first glance, I really like the early early signing period for the reasons mentioned, but.....
I thought the signing period was in Dec right before Chisrtmas , if that is the case high school football would be over unless things have changed that much from my days. I guess I could see a coach asking a player not to play in another sport after football season, but I don't think CPJ would do it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

This is a valid point and it would be interesting to see how this plays out . I believe that it would not occur on the same level as it does in college since the money from the pros probably provides a much stronger incentive than does a scholarship . College coaches could also respond by guaranteeing the scholarship regardless of injuries that occur during the senior year or possibly making playing somehow required for the scholarship to be valid. In my opinion that could be a positive thing forcig a real commitment on behalf of the college requiring coaches who want to sign a player early to assume risk .

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the NLOI binds schools to at least provide the first year of the scholarship (assuming eligible, etc), but I'm not a lawyer and haven't read it in full.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought the signing period was in Dec right before Chisrtmas , if that is the case high school football would be over unless things have changed that much from my days. I guess I could see a coach asking a player not to play in another sport after football season, but I don't think CPJ would do it.
The new early signing period is in December. I was merely pontificating about the discussion brought up many times about the possibility of a pre-senior season signing period. CPJ has been known to advocate for this idea. As of today, this does not exist.