Juice Builds Juice

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Friedgen was proven. DP is a "work in progress" but the Fridge had Shawn Jones, Emmett Merchant, Tom Covington, William Bell and a fine offensive line to work with. DP has some pretty good running backs and that's about it.
The Fridge’s OC stops prior to Tech aren’t too dissimilar from those of CDP...Maryland, Murray St., Citadel, etc. CDP’s offenses at his previous stops broke some school records I believe, though I’m not familiar with Fridge’s pre-tech success. It’d be interesting to look up.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The Fridge’s OC stops prior to Tech aren’t too dissimilar from those of CDP...Maryland, Murray St., Citadel, etc. CDP’s offenses at his previous stops broke some school records I believe, though I’m not familiar with Fridge’s pre-tech success. It’d be interesting to look up.
Friedgen returned to the University of Maryland in 1982 to serve as offensive coordinator under head coach Bobby Ross, who was his mentor during his tenure at The Citadel. During this time period, he had a hand in the development of quarterbacks Stan Gelbaugh and Frank Reich, and most notably Boomer Esiason. It was also during this time that the University of Maryland football program was a perennial top-20 team, winning three consecutive Atlantic Coast Conference championships from 1983 to 1985 and appearing in prominent bowl games

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Friedgen returned to the University of Maryland in 1982 to serve as offensive coordinator under head coach Bobby Ross, who was his mentor during his tenure at The Citadel. During this time period, he had a hand in the development of quarterbacks Stan Gelbaugh and Frank Reich, and most notably Boomer Esiason. It was also during this time that the University of Maryland football program was a perennial top-20 team, winning three consecutive Atlantic Coast Conference championships from 1983 to 1985 and appearing in prominent bowl games

Yep. He was proven by the time he got to Tech. It was just a matter of time before the Fridge got the ball rolling. Ralph was at Maryland when Frank Reich orchestrated what is considered one of the greatest comeback wins in college football history. November 1984, Miami took a 31-0 lead into half time but the Terrapins came back to win 42-40 when the Canes failed on a two point attempt at the end of the game.

Last edited:

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For a long time Reich had the biggest comebacks ever in both College and Pro ball. Statistically pretty amazing.

Scubapro

Banned
We only won 5 games total Ross' first 2 years. He clearly kept that Friedgen guy around too long.
Touche. However Fridge had a track record of developing QBs by that stage of his career. Wiki. During this time period, he had a hand in the development of quarterbacks Stan Gelbaugh and Frank Reich, and most notably Boomer Esiason. It was also during this time that the University of Maryland football program was a perennial top-20 team.
What has Patenaude placed in the top 20 other than three and outs?

Scubapro

Banned
He set school records at Coastal Carolina during the 2012 season I think. For context CC only started playing football in 2000. Records but not for a school with 70+ seasons under its belt.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Fridge had 4 top 25 offenses ( two top 10) at a power 5 school that was ranked nearly the whole time he was there. DP has yet to have an offense in the top 60 at the FBS level.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Touche. However Fridge had a track record of developing QBs by that stage of his career. Wiki. During this time period, he had a hand in the development of quarterbacks Stan Gelbaugh and Frank Reich, and most notably Boomer Esiason. It was also during this time that the University of Maryland football program was a perennial top-20 team.
What has Patenaude placed in the top 20 other than three and outs?

Well, give him time. He was under the gun pretty bad last year. One thing that Ralph said years later struck me as interesting. He went with Bobby to the San Diego Chargers for a while. He said that the pros taught him the importance of finding a matchup that you like and going to it in critical stages of the game over and over until the defense does something to stop it. He said that in the context of having Dez White and Kelley Campbell with Joe Hamilton when he was with Coach O'Leary. He would figure out a way to get one of them one on one with a safety, usually Kelly and burn them repeatedly. Of course, you have to have mismatches like that for it to work.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
He set school records at Coastal Carolina during the 2012 season I think. For context CC only started playing football in 2000. Records but not for a school with 70+ seasons under its belt.
They were also in the FCS top 5 in 5 different offensive categories one season which is pretty impressive in a division where offenses are typically pretty high powered. If the argument is whether he’s Fridge I concede. But he has had some good teams in the past and may again when the roster allows. I don’t get the point of the constant whining. Play calling was not our major problem last year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Fridge had 4 top 25 offenses ( two top 10) at a power 5 school that was ranked nearly the whole time he was there. DP has yet to have an offense in the top 60 at the FBS level.

That depends on what stat you are using to measure. CDP had Temple at 58th in OFEI in 2018, which was a solid climb from 94th in the previous year. First years at schools aren't good barometers. We will know better this year what we have in our OC.

Scubapro

Banned
They were also in the FCS top 5 in 5 different offensive categories one season which is pretty impressive in a division where offenses are typically pretty high powered. If the argument is whether he’s Fridge I concede. But he has had some good teams in the past and may again when the roster allows. I don’t get the point of the constant whining. Play calling was not our major problem last year.
Not whining. The point is people love to say: "give him time to learn on the job"
In my opinion he is fully developed with his game planning and play calling. Give him NFL caliber talent and he will win you 7 games.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Not whining. The point is people love to say: "give him time to learn on the job"
In my opinion he is fully developed with his game planning and play calling. Give him NFL caliber talent and he will win you 7 games.
I would agree he doesn’t need to learn he needs players. As to your last comment there’s no more evidence for that as there is that he’s the next big thing in OCs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

What data forms this opinion? I mean there is simply not enough data on this guy at any one location to make such a judgement. For all we know he could be the next Friedgen. The issue is that we only won 3 games last year, lost to an FCS team, and looked inept offensively in most of them. For anyone who actually follows football, that wasn't a shocker given the total transformation we were undergoing. There's a reason the Vegas bookies pegged us for 3-4 wins last season. That being said, everyone seemed to jump on this CDP is awful bandwagon without really giving the man a chance. He might be horrible. He might be mediocre. He might be good. He might be great. We won't know for a while yet.

Either way, he's coaching at GT for at least one more year. Griping about it won't help your frustration.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would agree he doesn’t need to learn he needs players. As to your last comment there’s no more evidence for that as there is that he’s the next big thing in OCs.
First I like CGC , but if the OC does not work out that is on him , just as the OL coach was on CPJ. But running the offense we run finding an OC should not be too hard . But with the money Tech will give him it will mean we have to go like we did with our DC and go young.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think everyones frustration is that we expected that the coaches would ease into their spread option and cultural change, thus use an option based system like Willie Fritz to win games until the roster makeover was complete. (Thus allowing us to stay Bowl eligible) However what happened was that the coaching staff did was tore the band aid off and started from ground zero, implemented their "way" and their "O".... Thus our year was rough.

However if we have a season this year we should be able to see a progress or a huge uptick.... While we may not win the Coastal I would encourage everyone to wait and see how our team performs before we start a mutiny.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think everyones frustration is that we expected that the coaches would ease into their spread option and cultural change, thus use an option based system like Willie Fritz to win games until the roster makeover was complete. (Thus allowing us to stay Bowl eligible) However what happened was that the coaching staff did was tore the band aid off and started from ground zero, implemented their "way" and their "O".... Thus our year was rough.

However if we have a season this year we should be able to see a progress or a huge uptick.... While we may not win the Coastal I would encourage everyone to wait and see how our team performs before we start a mutiny.

In a few years I believe we will all see the wisdom in "tearing off the band-aid' last year. It get's us to where we want to be quicler.

That being said, we may very well look a whole lot better on the field but look just as bad in the W-L columns this year. Even if that is the case, a mutiny won't do much good. CGCs buyout is pretty substantial right now.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

But the staff never said that they were going to ease into anything. If anyone thought that I’m not sure what it was based on. The spring game gave no indication that it was anything other than a complete flip.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Doug Dickey says "Hold my beer". In 1978, ,may have been 77, Dickey had nearly half of his starters drafted by the NFL and won just a couple of games. Talent galore, just no wins. Dickey was so beloved by Florida fans that the loudest sustained booing I ever heard was at a Florida vs Tennessee game in Gainesville. Florida had a tradition of welcoming the visitors administrators attending the game. The PA would intone: " Tennessee athletic director Doug Dickey and staff welcome to Gainesville!" That night he did not even get past "Tennessee" and the boos absolutely drowned out the rest of the address much to the delight of the two Gator alumni I was attending the game with. You cannot believe how much they hated that guy.