Juice Builds Juice

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
True about Miami and FSU. Thankfully we have TStan who is miles smarter than anyone in the Miami or FSU administration. I’ll give FSU a pass. They realized they made a mistake and acted quickly. Miami football is just a dumpster fire.

Collins has longer than 2 more years. TStan realizes this is a process and as long as the recruits are buying what he’s selling Collins will be here. Losing any games in year 1, whether UGA, Clemson, or Citadel DOES NOT MATTER! I sat there in Bobby Dodd and watched our QB’s play the worst game I’ve seen in any college game in years, while a triple option team stuffed the ball down our throat with 2 different QB’s. I just laughed. It means nothing. Just keep recruiting and will be amazing that all these posts about Collins not being a game day coach will slowly disappear as the wins pile up.

Miami might be a dumpster fire but they have way more talent than we do. Now what they do with that talent is another story. Losing games in seasons 2 and 3 may have an effect on recruiting but obviously not in season one. We will see. If we have a season. I think we will but it won't be what we are used to.

Scubapro

Banned
Collins is smart enough that he’ll cut Patenaude loose if a trend starts. Right now we have 1 year worth of data which isn’t a trend.

I agree that injuries played a huge role, but the fact that injuries destroyed a season shows us that our cupboard was indeed bare otherwise we could have played thru them. But, like 2015, our previous coach was such a poor recruiter that we were lucky to have ACC caliber first string let alone 2nd string. Hence, a couple injuries and we are doomed. We aren’t the only team with injuries but it’s amazing that other teams continue to compete. Those days will soon be over. Between last years class and those committed for 2021 Collins has filled up a lot of depth.
This kills me how folks keep saying there isn’t enough data to evaluate Patenaude Would you say the same about Zook, Norv Turner,Taggart, or any other coach with 20+ years on the job?
Don’t be afraid to see what is in front of you
The guy sucks and the sooner he leaves the better

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This kills me how folks keep saying there isn’t enough data to evaluate Patenaude Would you say the same about Zook, Norv Turner,Taggart, or any other coach with 20+ years on the job?
Don’t be afraid to see what is in front of you
The guy sucks and the sooner he leaves the better

So, let me get this straight: Collins gets his dream job, and then promptly fills a very critical position, one that will majorly affect whether he is successful or not, with someone that is terrible?

Scubapro

Banned
So, let me get this straight: Collins gets his dream job, and then promptly fills a very critical position, one that will majorly affect whether he is successful or not, with someone that is terrible?
Yep Did Chan pull the plug on Nix?
Patenaude is an old friend / mentor to Collins Geeoff will be loyal to him until its painfully obvious that a change will need to be made
By that time we will be sick of his rhetoric and 4 win seasons

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yep Did Chan pull the plug on Nix?
Patenaude is an old friend / mentor to Collins Geeoff will be loyal to him until its painfully obvious that a change will need to be made
By that time we will be sick of his rhetoric and 4 win seasons
CPJ rode the Sewak horse until the end, Roof way past his shelf life was up, etc. How many people on here have held an incompetent subordinate way past the time they should have been ousted- bad Engineer, horrible CPA, clueless Manager, etc? That song is damn near as old as the earth.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The Citadel loss is not a national embarrassment. No one outside a very low number of GT fans and Citadel fans even know we played. In case some of y’all haven’t noticed GT football is not relevant nationally right now. We aren’t even relevant in our own city or state. The Citadel loss was simply a chuckle and a text message ding by our dog friends. That was it. I’ll remember the Citadel loss for one thing - forcing Collins to look in the mirror and come to the realization that we had 1 QB with a pulse.

As for Patenaude, I agree that if we continue to punt at historic levels that Collins will send him packing. All these false comparisons are a joke. Nix was kept years too long and Sewak was a welfare case our previous coach kept on the dole for reasons we’ll never know. I’m sure Collins brought Patenaude to GT simply for familiarity during the rebuild. Collins isn’t dumb enough or stubborn enough like Gailey or Johnson. He’ll cut Patenaude once it makes sense. Right now we aren’t winning anything until we get another class or two in the system. Do I really need to list our recruiting rankings again. Some of y’all just simply don’t understand how out talented we were the last few seasons. I think we finally have the physical talent at RB, WR, LB, and DB’s to match up. But the lines and the QB position we trail just about every team in the ACC. For now!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
CPJ rode the Sewak horse until the end, Roof way past his shelf life was up, etc. How many people on here have held an incompetent subordinate way past the time they should have been ousted- bad Engineer, horrible CPA, clueless Manager, etc? That song is damn near as old as the earth.

Dodd was renowned as a "gentleman" coach who treated his players well. That said, early in his coaching career, he did not hesitate to get rid of two assistants who just were not very good. They were not bad people and their wives were friends with Dodd's wife and he did not want to do it but as he said in his biography it was something that had to be done because it was obvious that they were stuck in old ways of doing things and would not adjust to the realities of college football evolving in the 1950s. He did not go into much detail but it was obvious that the key to Dodd's success was finding two assistant head coaches or coordinators they would be called now that embraced new ideas and techniques. Both ended up as ultra successful head coaches in their own right: Ray Graves at Florida and Frank Broyles at Arkansas. Finding and keeping the right assistants was huge then and it is now. Someday, someone should write a book about different coaches in the modern era who looked to be sure fire successful head coaches and research why they failed. I would be willing to bet in many cases it boiled down to having poor assistants. Then again, there are some like Willie T who if they had a whole roster of "Frank Broyles" award winners they would still screw up.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The Citadel loss is not a national embarrassment. No one outside a very low number of GT fans and Citadel fans even know we played. In case some of y’all haven’t noticed GT football is not relevant nationally right now. We aren’t even relevant in our own city or state. The Citadel loss was simply a chuckle and a text message ding by our dog friends. That was it. I’ll remember the Citadel loss for one thing - forcing Collins to look in the mirror and come to the realization that we had 1 QB with a pulse.

As for Patenaude, I agree that if we continue to punt at historic levels that Collins will send him packing. All these false comparisons are a joke. Nix was kept years too long and Sewak was a welfare case our previous coach kept on the dole for reasons we’ll never know. I’m sure Collins brought Patenaude to GT simply for familiarity during the rebuild. Collins isn’t dumb enough or stubborn enough like Gailey or Johnson. He’ll cut Patenaude once it makes sense. Right now we aren’t winning anything until we get another class or two in the system. Do I really need to list our recruiting rankings again. Some of y’all just simply don’t understand how out talented we were the last few seasons. I think we finally have the physical talent at RB, WR, LB, and DB’s to match up. But the lines and the QB position we trail just about every team in the ACC. For now!

I don't know if I have ever seen a team punt as often as we sometimes seemed to be doing last season. It's a wonder his leg did not fall off. Not only was Nix kept too long but for some reason Randy Shannon hired him to be the offensive coordinator at Miami. Some people just never learn.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
We have our large cheering section for Wahn . . . . YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From the first time he walked on the field. I said, "hey guys watch this man go!"
They have been buying me drinks since. :)

I think Tre has surprised a few? Damn he is good and may get better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There is no excuse why GT cannot be in the top 20-15 in recruiting year in and year out. Once that happens I could see us landing the occasional 8-15 ranked class. If we win 6 games this year I expect the 22 class to be top 15. If not top 10. Wait and see ;)

Since the start of the rating phenomena circa 2000 or so. Tech has had one top 20 class and one other top 25 class. Must be a reason why we are not in the top 15 to 20 year in and year out as we have only achieved that lofty status once. I will indeed "wait and see".

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Since the start of the rating phenomena circa 2000 or so. Tech has had one top 20 class and one other top 25 class. Must be a reason why we are not in the top 15 to 20 year in and year out as we have only achieved that lofty status once. I will indeed "wait and see".
Well for 10 of those years we ran an a scheme that couldn't land a top 30 class let alone 25-15.
The other years we had 1 year that could.
My belief in all of it is if we give the program the money and support it will come. We won THREE games last year and had a top 30 class. Plenty of teams DREAM of a top 30 class. I think the class of 22 is going to be special. Dare I say historic. If all things fall into place its a top 15 potential if not top 10. We are in the top 10 for several high 4 star and 5 star kids. Even in the top 5 for some.
Of course this will change and mean nothing now. But the encouragement that we are on their minds this early and coach Choice is recruiting most of them is great. We better be willing to pay coach Choice because so far he is a stud recruiter from what I've seen. If he can get MJ Morris on campus come the summer of 22.... oh man...

slugboy

Staff member
This is progress for sure. The key is to do it year after year. Of course, Miami has done it pretty much year after year with not much to show for it.

So has FSU (who we play less often). It’s nuts to be a factory and not produce. You have to look and wonder how.

FSU is a good example of what happens when you don’t recruit and build for year-in/year-out deep and solid lines. You can’t just recruit; you have to recruit to a balanced plan and recruit well (not perfectly, but well) everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was talking to my Florida buddies who also keep up with FSU and they say that FSU's problems go back years to when they suddenly had unbelievably bad luck with offensive linemen. They had four and five star linemen that went busted, they had injuries to key players seemingly every year and they never had any depth. It is hard to screw up at a factory but it can be done. Willie T at FSU and the last several hires at Tennessee and Miami are examples. I still contend that if Miami had left the Reverend alone, he would have eventually bought them back but they got impatient amid cries the game had passed him by and so it goes.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well for 10 of those years we ran an a scheme that couldn't land a top 30 class let alone 25-15.
The other years we had 1 year that could.
My belief in all of it is if we give the program the money and support it will come. We won THREE games last year and had a top 30 class. Plenty of teams DREAM of a top 30 class. I think the class of 22 is going to be special. Dare I say historic. If all things fall into place its a top 15 potential if not top 10. We are in the top 10 for several high 4 star and 5 star kids. Even in the top 5 for some.
Of course this will change and mean nothing now. But the encouragement that we are on their minds this early and coach Choice is recruiting most of them is great. We better be willing to pay coach Choice because so far he is a stud recruiter from what I've seen. If he can get MJ Morris on campus come the summer of 22.... oh man...

I am hopeful but...skeptical that it can be done at Tech on a regular basis. Not without winning games it will not happen.