Juanyeh

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys do realize that Thursday was not his debut fielding punts in an ACC game right? He has plenty of experience; it happened; now let it go. Let’s stop writing off coaches and players after one bad play/game.

Ok so this is what I didn’t think. Last year all punts were brad stewart. Are you saying he fielded punts last year? I don’t recall. He may have. But i dont think it was many if he did

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think I read the rule differently but an extra shoulder width doesn't make much logical sense. If you look at some shots it's still really really close, so I won't say bad call.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
What bothered me about the no call there is the dude came directly between where Juanyeh was and where the ball was coming down, cutting off his path right before he’s supposed to be there to catch it. I guess he should have stepped up into the spot and taken the contact and hope the refs call it right? You’d think impeding a returner’s path after he’s called for fair catch would be some sort of penalty.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think I read the rule differently but an extra shoulder width doesn't make much logical sense. If you look at some shots it's still really really close, so I won't say bad call.

The expectation is that the rx will line up under the punt so that the only interference will be from directly in front.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What bothered me about the no call there is the dude came directly between where Juanyeh was and where the ball was coming down, cutting off his path right before he’s supposed to be there to catch it. I guess he should have stepped up into the spot and taken the contact and hope the refs call it right? You’d think impeding a returner’s path after he’s called for fair catch would be some sort of penalty.

The gunner has no idea where the ball is at that point. He is running full speed toward the returner. It isn't a penalty to be "cutting off his path" if the returner isn't moving in a path.

If Juanyeh had moved under the ball and the gunner had contacted him, it would have been a penalty. Once Juanyeh knew that he wasn't in position, he should have moved out of the way and let the ball bounce. He is a great returner. In this instance he made a mistake.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT muffed the punt plain and simple. I'm sure he has taken responsibility for it, I wish we would too. If he had moved under the punt like he should have, he would have either caught it or been run into, but he didn't.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
JT muffed the punt plain and simple. I'm sure he has taken responsibility for it, I wish we would too. If he had moved under the punt like he should have, he would have either caught it or been run into, but he didn't.
This. Plus the error did not cost us this game. Lets move on.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the error had a major impact on the game. We had some momentum having stopped the mighty Trevor Lawrence cold on their first possession and then we light their fire by dropping a routine punt. I think this changed the whole mindset of both teams. Not to say it costs us the game but it was a major factor in setting the tone for the game. Thomas hurt his hand trying to dive back to the ball when a Clemson dude coming in for the ball jammed his hands.

Go Jackets!

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Can he catch tho???? I’d like to see him in wildcat formation or in the backfield with JG. Option out of the gun could be dangerous with those two back there.
They say he's the best "athlete" on the team. Athletes can catch I hope

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Ok so this is what I didn’t think. Last year all punts were brad stewart. Are you saying he fielded punts last year? I don’t recall. He may have. But i dont think it was many if he did
He returned one for a TD against UVA. You’re correct though. Brad fielded most of them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I think the error had a major impact on the game. We had some momentum having stopped the mighty Trevor Lawrence cold on their first possession and then we light their fire by dropping a routine punt. I think this changed the whole mindset of both teams. Not to say it costs us the game but it was a major factor in setting the tone for the game. Thomas hurt his hand trying to dive back to the ball when a Clemson dude coming in for the ball jammed his hands.

Go Jackets!
I totally agree with this. Unfortunately it happened, but it did set the tone. Clemson still would have beaten us, but I think we would have been more competitive. Just too many mistakes made us look like a cupcake by the score, but there was no quit and some very good efforts by our team. I can't wait for the USF game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To me it looked like he misjudged the ball pretty early on (or it was moving oddly). After he calls fair catch he goes up to the 17, then retreats to the 15, then moves over about 2 yards to the hashes, then dives to the 17 to try and catch the ball. He never did get under it. I doubt the gunner had any influence on this part because most of it happened well before the gunner got anywhere near JT. The gunner only had an impact because JT misjudged it and tried to dive to catch it. Maybe it should have been called interference, maybe not, but the more important thing, IMO, is JT learns don't dive for punts, and hopefully the midjudgement is not a regular thing. FWIW I think he'll be a fine punt return and will learn from that experience.

I guess he should have stepped up into the spot and taken the contact and hope the refs call it right?

That's exactly what he should have done. As a returner, once you call fair catch, you have to focus 100% on catching the ball. Any contact will be a flag. If JT allowed the defense to make him not go to where the ball was landing then he made a mistake.