JT's Extra Burst

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Seemed to me that JT was at least a half-step quicker yesterday. Anyone else agree?

From Duke's postgame:
“It’s probably the best game he’s ever played,” Duke linebacker Ben Humphreys said. “He came up and showed out. He’s a lot faster than he looked on film. Hats off to him and hats off to their offensive line.

“Some of those plays were just based on pure athleticism. He’s playing outside the offense. It’s tough to stop. It’s really tough to stop. Hats off to him. He’s been here three years and that’s the best game he’s played against us by far.”

Two schools of thought running through my head:
  1. Health... bye week helped
  2. Decisiveness...
Pregame I couldn't help but think of our last 2 games vs. Duke, where Duke's D seemingly strung out every play to the perimeter and JT seemed hesitant to make a decision when there were yards to be had. I feared that would happen again, and thankfully I was wrong, almost completely so in that some of those decisions turned into more than just a few yards.

So, some questions are, can this be the new norm? Will he get nicked up over the next 5 games and revert back? If it's simply been an issue of decisiveness, can he fight through the nicks and big hits and let adrenaline take us through the finish line?

Very interested to see how this plays out. There of course are times when there is no decision to make, other than eat the ball, but I'm choosing to ignore those for now.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
An interesting thing to think about. I can't say this is a good thing, but it might be that JT is by now half expecting the A back to be outflanked. It is pretty clear sometimes there are no yards to be had by pitching it. So he quickly sees he has no choice but to see what he can get out of the play. Fortunately for us, that's often a pretty good gain.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Duke was Kansased. They thought their success had been because of them not us crapping the bed. They sold out, and we could beat them.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think Duke was Kansased. They thought their success had been because of them not us crapping the bed. They sold out, and we could beat them.
Agree with this for the most part. Independent of past games vs. Duke though, I thought JT was noticeably better cutting up field vs. earlier this year. Also thought he looked better in the open field w/ more acceleration.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this for the most part. Independent of past games vs. Duke though, I thought JT was noticeably better cutting up field vs. earlier this year. Also thought he looked better in the open field w/ more acceleration.
I will say a few of his big breaks looked almost exactly like some he tried vs teams like clemson and miami, the difference is when he decided to run the lane he was instantly hit in the back by a DL like teh previous times.

That may be because he decided a split second earlier or their DL was a step slower than the others or maybe the OL delayed them longer than they did the previous DLs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Anyone notice on his first TD run JT seemed to slow up, left hand went near his hamstring? I'm not sure he's really healthy, but dang you have to admit an 80% healthy JT is better than most playing at 110%. Dude pretty much singlehandedly pulled this game out through his spectacular talent alone. Thing that was most impressive this week was his passing. He was on fire. I think 1 ball was under thrown, but even that resulted in a first down.

Milwaukee

Banned
Anyone notice on his first TD run JT seemed to slow up, left hand went near his hamstring? I'm not sure he's really healthy, but dang you have to admit an 80% healthy JT is better than most playing at 110%. Dude pretty much singlehandedly pulled this game out through his spectacular talent alone. Thing that was most impressive this week was his passing. He was on fire. I think 1 ball was under thrown, but even that resulted in a first down.

The commentators said the same thing about grabbing his hammy, but it actually looked like he was pulling up his thigh pad is all.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Any option QB has to be absolutely committed to the decision to run the ball or pitch. JT stopped his habit of trying to juke a defender and turned up the field this game with his old determination and great things happened. The O Line helped at times but the majority of his yardage was all JT along with some nice downfield blocking .

Keep that up and this season can turn out quite nicely. Take away two scoop and scores against da "U"; and a freak tipped pass at Pitt and the Yellow Jackets are in the thick of things. But that's football and time to keep playing hard and "Just Win Baby!"

Milwaukee

Banned
Any option QB has to be absolutely committed to the decision to run the ball or pitch. JT stopped his habit of trying to juke a defender and turned up the field this game with his old determination and great things happened. The O Line helped at times but the majority of his yardage was all JT along with some nice downfield blocking .

Keep that up and this season can turn out quite nicely. Take away two scoop and scores against da "U"; and a freak tipped pass at Pitt and the Yellow Jackets are in the thick of things. But that's football and time to keep playing hard and "Just Win Baby!"

JT's yardage yesterday was not him deciding to turn up the field quicker. They were delayed, broken plays for the most part.

He's just a freak.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Outside of the "broken" plays, it appears to me that JeT seemed more willing to "do the right thing" and take the seam and pick up yards that were "there. Thought the same with several of the A-back runs too.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not sure if this is the best place for this note, but it is about JT.

With a 50-yard pass to Brad Stewart on the third play of the game, Georgia Tech senior quarterback Justin became the 39th player in NCAA Division I FBS history with 4,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards in a career. Thomas is the fourth ACC player to accomplish the feat.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I created this thread separate from the original JT thread to focus on his speed / acceleration / decisiveness, ask if others thought he looked materially different from earlier in the year, and project what we should expect going forward. Hoping to keep it there.

But I'd be remiss to not offer my opinion about a couple unrelated themes that are popping up across a number of threads including this one.

1) CPJ recruited JT. Every coach wants players that bail them out. Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Marquise Williams, Manziel, etc made plays outside the framework of their offenses. It is what it is and kudos for CPJ on this specific recruiting win. This does not and should not detract from yesterday's win, which feels like a negative twist toward CPJ/his scheme rather than what I interpret as a positive.

2) Our offense set up JT for success yesterday. His two touchdown runs - 83 yards and 22 yards - were designed runs. The first was an option keeper, designed to get quick/shifty playmakers in space. Guess what? Duke sold out and JT made them pay. The second was a QB draw that Shamire Devine could have run through. This is the design of the offense folks. JT had a 100+ yard rushing game without the scrambles. And the scrambles were accomplished by Duke selling out elsewhere. He took what was given.

To steer back on track, I thought that the plays JT made were noticeably more assertive and included a burst in the open field, versus the looking around / trying not to get hit. Hope to see that continue, particularly his health and confidence more than anything.