JT

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
No. I have thought this for a couple of years now.

I think Reggie would have been different in this system and under Paul Johnson.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I may be one of the only people here that doesn't think Chan Gailey was a bad coach.

I actually think he was pretty good. He just never seemed to have really good QB play. I know most of you will say "he recruited them", but sometimes in the world of college football you don't always get the people you really want. You have to take what you feel is the next best thing when things fall through.

Chan had some bad luck. Just think about how different things might have been if Tony Hollings doesn't get hurt.

I think what was meant was that JT played lights out as if his job were in jeopardy, not that his job was actually in jeopardy!

Many in the press have said that JT was the best QB ever to play for Paul Johnson, at least during Johnson's tenure at Tech. After the past one-and-half seasons, I wasn't so sure. He's fast, is an underrated but extremely productive passer with the right receivers, and does excellent reads on the option. But he can be streaky and has ball control issues at critical points in the game. The bad exchange that led to the fumble after the interception of Duke nearly resulted in a complete reversal in momentum. If that fumble doesn't happen, then Tech conceivably goes up 35-7. If we'd lost, that would have been the game's turning point. But JT played with incredible grit and pulled out that win almost completely on his back. His numbers are borderline historic for Tech football.

Prior to today's game, given his relative consistency, toughness, and general athletic ability, I would have been inclined to take another look at Josh Nesbitt as the best QB under Johnson, even if he didn't quite have Justin Thomas's numbers. If JT plays the rest of the schedule the way he played today and his receivers make the plays, and if Tech can pull off the victories, then he will probably be mentioned in the same breath along with Kim King and Joe Hamilton....

No way. Little Joe was a Heisman candidate who arguably got robbed by Ron Dayne. A couple of broken-play QB scrambles does not put him on the same tier as Joe Hamilton.

JT had a great 2014, dismal 2015, and a great game today. Here's to a great finish for the young man, culminating in another victory in Athens for us!

I may be one of the only people here that doesn't think Chan Gailey was a bad coach.

I actually think he was pretty good. He just never seemed to have really good QB play. I know most of you will say "he recruited them", but sometimes in the world of college football you don't always get the people you really want. You have to take what you feel is the next best thing when things fall through.

Chan had some bad luck. Just think about how different things might have been if Tony Hollings doesn't get hurt.

Disagree. Ball regressed during his time at Tech. That's on Gailey. Losing to Weak Forest in ACC Championship is on him too.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Question - maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, what was up with JT grabbing at his quad today? On both of his long runs he grabbed at his left leg and didn't stay running at full speed.

It was just odd if his leg was hurting because it didn't seem to affect his scrambling or anything else. Just his top end speed.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
The way Justin Thomas reacts to certain situations reminds me of Reggie.

Chan recruited Reggie the QB. He really did not know how Reggie would handle the pressure of "being the QB" at GT. I think Reggie got frustrated with the expectations and it definitely carried over to the field. Unfortunately, it got worse over the years.

People don't realize how much the Tony Hollings injury altered the history of GT football. He was a great player capable of carrying this program. Could have been Chan's Joe Hamilton.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Question - maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, what was up with JT grabbing at his quad today? On both of his long runs he grabbed at his left leg and didn't stay running at full speed.

It was just odd if his leg was hurting because it didn't seem to affect his scrambling or anything else. Just his top end speed.
He said "probably pulling up my pants" in the postgame audio

The way Justin Thomas reacts to certain situations reminds me of Reggie.

Chan recruited Reggie the QB. He really did not know how Reggie would handle the pressure of "being the QB" at GT. I think Reggie got frustrated with the expectations and it definitely carried over to the field. Unfortunately, it got worse over the years.

People don't realize how much the Tony Hollings injury altered the history of GT football. He was a great player capable of carrying this program. Could have been Chan's Joe Hamilton.
The injury to Tony unfortunately in my opinion was Chan's fault. He had no business being in the game when he got hurt.