JT Wears Gold...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Gold Jersey that is during Spring Practice - Link (Behind pay wall today 3/31).

' former Tech quarterback Tevin Washington, who happened to attend Saturday’s scrimmage put it, “You’ve got to protect the franchise.” '

Let the conversation about how he can't last the season begin!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I saw the gold jersey yesterday and remembered this thread. A friend who was also out there asked a coach to explain the colors. Offense was on white, Defense was on navy. Red was no-contact. When he got to the gold, he said "Gold means this is the franchise--don't even THINK about it."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember us singling out the qb like this in prior springs or fall camps. I thought it a point of pride and uniqueness that our qb's took hits in practices leading up to the season. I also thought it gave us an advantage in that our qb's were "game ready" from the get go.

That said, I definitely agree with the current policy. We cannot afford to lose JT and it'll help his endurance through the season. The body can only endure so many hits.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think somebody mentioned this is an unusual spring to have a clearly defined QB as starter. Nesbit was out for his spring(right?), TW was always fighting for his job, and Vad did not know the job well enough in spring 2013.

CPJ also stated that too many starting OL were out and that increases the danger for the QB.

I think CPJ knows that JT is not as hearty as the other QBs. The coach is balancing heath and the need to go full speed to stay sharp. Keep in mind JT did not play in the 2014 Spring Game.

CPJ may have also realized how much better JT played when healthy for the Orange Bowl?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think somebody mentioned this is an unusual spring to have a clearly defined QB as starter. Nesbit was out for his spring(right?), TW was always fighting for his job, and Vad did not know the job well enough in spring 2013.

CPJ also stated that too many starting OL were out and that increases the danger for the QB.

I think CPJ knows that JT is not as hearty as the other QBs. The coach is balancing heath and the need to go full speed to stay sharp. Keep in mind JT did not play in the 2014 Spring Game.

CPJ may have also realized how much better JT played when healthy for the Orange Bowl?

Nesbitt did miss Spring his Senior year,

CPJ is just being smart with JT, and as you said he missed the Spring game last year...in which he could have played...Could see the same this year.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I hope that not taking hits in practice means that he won't be more susceptible to injuries in real games.
I had a similar thought when I also read that Tev was at the practice. He was so smooth and natural at minimizing the opponents hits and tackles, he rolled with the punches very well as QB. Early last season I was worried about Thomas as a kid who wasn't as good at that and wanted Tevin to come in and train him on how to go down soft. Thomas improved over the course of the year but mainly by running out of bounds it seemed to me. I still think he could stand to learn a bit more about reducing a hit that is inevitable.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I had a similar thought when I also read that Tev was at the practice. He was so smooth and natural at minimizing the opponents hits and tackles, he rolled with the punches very well as QB. Early last season I was worried about Thomas as a kid who wasn't as good at that and wanted Tevin to come in and train him on how to go down soft. Thomas improved over the course of the year but mainly by running out of bounds it seemed to me. I still think he could stand to learn a bit more about reducing a hit that is inevitable.
I love the fight in that kid...early in the year he wasn't just taking hits, he was looking to dish them out! I think it was the ankle sprain in the Duke game that changed his thinking on this. From that point on it seemed he would start playing toward the sidelines as it got pretty certain he was stopped. He'd use his speed and quickness to get an extra couple yards by setting up a cut near the edge, and if the opening wasn't there he went out before getting hit. While I REALLY enjoyed watching him lower his shoulder on dudes it's just not worth the risk for a yard here and there at the end of big runs.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Yup, JT needs to play smart. At his size it just ain't worth it to try and lower the boom. Now Nesbitt...that dude was all beastmode all the time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Did you have a problem with his play vs. Georgia or FSU? I would argue his play in those games was equal to the MSU game. His play suffered a bit, but only a bit, against Clemson, but then again, Clemson can play itself some defense.

Buzzoff

Georgia Tech Fan
He played great against FSU and Georgia. I was at the FSU game and saw it for myself. Do I think he was a step/half-step faster in the Orange Bowl? Yes. A little time to heal helps.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Skeptic JT's play improved all year. He was at the very top of his game for MSU. This is my non-professional fan based perception and may not be reality.

JT not being as hearty as other QB's is also a non-data point perception that could be wrong. Traditionally you either get to be a "tank" that can take a beating but move slower or a motorcycle that can zip around but is more susceptible to damage... and all points of balance in between.

I know that JT is a great QB for GT and I am so happy he is here. He makes great decisions and his matrix like moves are fun to watch. But in any case, a fully healed rested JT is surely better than a dinged up leg tired JT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@Skeptic JT's play improved all year. He was at the very top of his game for MSU. This is my non-professional fan based perception and may not be reality.

JT not being as hearty as other QB's is also a non-data point perception that could be wrong. Traditionally you either get to be a "tank" that can take a beating but move slower or a motorcycle that can zip around but is more susceptible to damage... and all points of balance in between.

I know that JT is a great QB for GT and I am so happy he is here. He makes great decisions and his matrix like moves are fun to watch. But in any case, a fully healed rested JT is surely better than a dinged up leg tired JT.
I don't know how anybody can say he's not durable when his only significant injury came when he was rolled up by a db who held onto to his ankle too long. Btw, that roll technique is a very commonly taught and used technique, I'm sure our guys do it all the time. I think the guy just held on a wee bit too long.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand the roll technique, but watch the vine again. I can't read the kids mind, but it sure looked dirty.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I understand the roll technique, but watch the vine again. I can't read the kids mind, but it sure looked dirty.

I really hope that play is in everyone's mind this offseason. There needs to be a fire in the teams eyes when the Duke game is mentioned. We need to blow them out this year. Make sure that they know that they aren't on our level.