JT>VL

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I liked Tevin too but probably not the best example of a game. That game at VT was really low scoring and then he threw a crazy interception in OT to give the game to VT. Let's think Clemson '11 when we think of TW.
I am one of the few people who forgives him for the ending of that game. Football is emotional. He played his heart out for 60 minutes and brought the team back to take the lead with a little over 30 seconds left on the clock. Then the defense let VIP march the length of the field to send the game into overtime. It was clear from that point to me that Tech would lose because the defense had given up and was never going to stop VIP again. Tevin was straining and trying to win the game all on his own at that point while the rest of the team had given up. That is my take on it at least.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
With JT, its 'so far, so good.'

Way too early to say much more than that. I don't really want to have to come on here next Saturday (in the highly unlikely event we lose to the turkey buzzards) and read that the consensus opinion has taken a turn for the worse. JT has done everything asked of him thus far, has shown a fire in his belly - all of which are good. But he's about to face one of the most difficult tests of the season in a few days so let's let him develop and not be so quick to figure out which pigeon hole he fits in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I recall watching Ricky Dobbs at Navy and thinking that their system looked faster than ours. I watched Navy yesterday and they looked they were running in slow motion compare to us.

So is it me or do others think that this is the fastest this offense has been run since Johnson has been here? Hard to argue that it was faster than the D-Thomas and J-Dwyer days, but with JT at QB and the stable of A backs we have, and I'd add Smelter in there too, top to bottom, this seems to be the most speed we've had on offense in a long while.

I commented on this live during the game since I have seen the same thing in our first three games. BUT as I also said, we won't know for sure that we have real speed until after the Miami game. Speed is relative and the teams we have played are not expected to be the fastest ones we see. VT and Miami should be much faster in the secondary and DL.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I recall watching Ricky Dobbs at Navy and thinking that their system looked faster than ours. I watched Navy yesterday and they looked they were running in slow motion compare to us.

So is it me or do others think that this is the fastest this offense has been run since Johnson has been here? Hard to argue that it was faster than the D-Thomas and J-Dwyer days, but with JT at QB and the stable of A backs we have, and I'd add Smelter in there too, top to bottom, this seems to be the most speed we've had on offense in a long while.
Navy was running with a back up QB yesterday. Reynolds was out.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

One of the reasons Navy always appeared to execute option plays faster is because their line splits are narrower than ours because their players are smaller and slower. Navy's backs are covering less distance even though the play looks the same.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
One of the reasons Navy always appeared to execute option plays faster is because their line splits are narrower than ours because their players are smaller and slower. Navy's backs are covering less distance even though the play looks the same.
interesting point I never really thought about.. good insight

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Tech's splits are unbelievably wide compared to Navy.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
What I like about JT is composure...He seems "cool" in clutch moments.

Hate to use this comparison...but seems to have the Nesbitt like personality.
I know that only time will tell... but he really does remind me of THE Josh Nesbitt

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
JT still runs around with the ball unprotected alot. His TD dive was particularly dangerous. He exposed the ball, one-handed, as he was getting tackled right before the goal line. Hope he changes that pronto.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
His ball security has actually improved a good bit this year. What he did on play you specify was in attempt to get into the endzone. I have only seen him revert back to last years habits a time or two this year.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this, right before the season last year I felt really bad for Justin Thomas. I thought "Gee, this guy is talented and he's gonna have to sit behind Vad Lee for the next 3 years. Hope he'll be happy with just starting his senior season." I knew he was going to be good, but he has exceeded my expectations so much this year that I can say for certain he would have won the starting job regardless if VL stayed or not. Next time I see this guy on campus, he's getting a high five.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'll say this, right before the season last year I felt really bad for Justin Thomas. I thought "Gee, this guy is talented and he's gonna have to sit behind Vad Lee for the next 3 years. Hope he'll be happy with just starting his senior season."
Maybe Vad saw the handwriting on the wall and got out while the getting was good? Would have been quite the kick in the cojones to find yourself coming off the bench after having won the starting spot.

On a side note, Vad had a career day with over 400yds passing, 3tds, 2ints. 72yds on 28 carries. Maybe he's finding his groove at JMU?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Vad saw the handwriting on the wall and got out while the getting was good? Would have been quite the kick in the cojones to find yourself coming off the bench after having won the starting spot.

On a side note, Vad had a career day with over 400yds passing, 3tds, 2ints. 72yds on 28 carries. Maybe he's finding his groove at JMU?

I hope Vad finds whatever it is that he's looking for.

That said, JT has me excited for the potential of the QB position in our offense I haven't felt consistently since CPJ got here. If JT keeps churning up winning TD passes and collecting yards on the ground, recruits will take notice. One of our WR commits certainly took notice yesterday.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck

My sense is that Vad likes to stand in the shotgun, never get hit, and play 7 on 7 in a game. He is putting up some numbers true, but 2 and 2 still equals four the wrong way in football math. GT certainly upgraded the QB position when he left the program for greener pastures since the TO was not "his thing." I do appreciate how well the team has performed ever since his departure lending more credence to the mathematic formula: addition by substraction.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks more and more like someone left before the comp got to hot to handle. I have always felt that JTs skill set was ideal for what we do. Just thrilled to see how well he handles pressure. I wanted vl to be the man but feel this is big upgrade.