JT>VL

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Justin Thomas is developing quite nicely. When was the last time we had a QB run for that much and have 4 TDs thrown without a pick in the same game? It is pretty simple right now in my eyes. This kid is putting the team on his shoulders. Routinely in this offense our QBs have averaged well under 5 yards per carry. Right now ( I haven't checked the official numbers) JT is around 7 per pop 3 games into the season and for his career. That is explosive. He isn't making every throw, but he is making a lot of throws, devastating throws.

When the season began my biggest worry was turnovers. So far he has played three games and has a total of 3 TOs. That is not bad. I am seeing a winner burst forth. He kind of reminds me of Lil' Joe in that he makes plays when he HAS to. He is giving us more than ANY QB in the CPJ era at this point. Lets see the rest of the season and determine how this all pans out. There is a lot of football left to play against good teams.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Justin Thomas is developing quite nicely. When was the last time we had a QB run for that much and have 4 TDs thrown without a pick in the same game? It is pretty simple right now in my eyes. This kid is putting the team on his shoulders. Routinely in this offense our QBs have averaged well under 5 yards per carry. Right now ( I haven't checked the official numbers) JT is around 7 per pop 3 games into the season and for his career. That is explosive. He isn't making every throw, but he is making a lot of throws, devastating throws.

When the season began my biggest worry was turnovers. So far he has played three games and has a total of 3 TOs. That is not bad. I am seeing a winner burst forth. He kind of reminds me of Lil' Joe in that he makes plays when he HAS to. He is giving us more than ANY QB in the CPJ era at this point. Lets see the rest of the season and determine how this all pans out. There is a lot of football left to play against good teams.
At this moment, JT is averaging 6.5 yards/rush on 43 carries while also completing 53.2% of his passes with 7 total TD's and only 1 INT

I'd agree with you in saying that he's doing pretty well for himself

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Just re-watched the game on DVR (I watched it live). JT definitely put the team on his shoulders and carried them to victory. I loved it because I haven’t seen a QB do that since Nesbitt. But to be honest, JT had several bad throws today with balls that sailed high to open receivers. JT’s completion percentage was under 50%. That has to get fixed quickly if we are going to challenge the big 4. If he continues to throw the ball like he did today – despite the four TD’s, then we will once again be 7-6.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Just re-watched the game on DVR (I watched it live). JT definitely put the team on his shoulders and carried them to victory. I loved it because I haven’t seen a QB do that since Nesbitt. But to be honest, JT had several bad throws today with balls that sailed high to open receivers. JT’s completion percentage was under 50%. That has to get fixed quickly if we are going to challenge the big 4. If he continues to throw the ball like he did today – despite the four TD’s, then we will once again be 7-6.

That was very frustrating to watch. He had at least three plays like that where a completion would be huge.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Like PJ said earlier this week, JT hasn't had 200 live snaps yet. I think he's going to be a good one. If Vad's in the game, I don't think it's 35 points at the half and it ain't a TD drive at the end, either.

thwgjacket

Thank you. I still remember when Tevin brought Tech back to take the lead in Blacksburg with only seconds on the clock. He played consistently and well for Tech but never had much support from the D or ST.
I liked Tevin too but probably not the best example of a game. That game at VT was really low scoring and then he threw a crazy interception in OT to give the game to VT. Let's think Clemson '11 when we think of TW.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Guys...let's not get ahead of ourselves with JT. He's going to be special, but let's not forget the competition the first 3 games. For instance:

17/28 640 Yards 7TDs 0Ints 60.71% completion 22 Atts 72 yards 0TDs (712 Total Yards 7 Total TDs)
22/39 418 Yards 7TDs 1 Ints 56.41% completion 52 Atts 180 yards 3 TDs (598 Total Yards 10 Total TDs)
25/47 485 Yards 6TDs 1 Ints 53.19% completion 43 Atts 278 yards 3 TDs (763 Total Yards 9 Total TDs)

1st line was Tevin's stats against W. Carolina, MTSU, Kansas in 2011.
2nd line was Vads stats against Elon, Duke, and UNC in 2013
3rd line is Justin's stats this year against Wofford, Tulane, and GSU.

Vad had the tougher schedule, and I would say Tevin's schedule was a little tougher than JT's this year. We all know how 2011 and 2013 end up. The question is whether JT can stay on this pace now the meat of the schedule is gearing up. Legends aren't made against Wofford, Tulane, and GSU (well, non-message board legends)...neither are they made against W. Carolina, MTSU, and Kansas.

JT has all the tools to be a really good player...but as history shows, don't read too much into the 1st 3 games.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't like threads like this premised on knocking the last (or last two) Tech QBs. It is easy enough to just have a thread praising Thomas w/o the other stuff.

But I will go ahead and post my question/frustrating moment here. Why oh why did Thomas not run for the first down and instead threw back across his body into the middle of the field into good coverage (and almost get intercepted b/c of it)? The interception there probably would have been like a punt but if he just tucked and ran to the marker at worst he would have been pushed out a yard or so shy and you suddenly have a chance to go for it on 4th and short instead of having to punt b/c it is 4th and 5/7 (can't recall distance at the moment) .

That play just killed me watching it in the North Endzone because if anyone should know how fast Thomas is and that he could have gotten the first down with his legs there it is . . . . Justin Thomas.

So am I all wet on what I "think I saw" live? Don't get me wrong I am not knocking him overall. It was his third start and he will not be making the perfectly correct decision every play. But a first down there could have been so huge and with his speed I just don't understand how he didn't commit to running it on the scramble that one play and situation.

Last edited:

forrest

Georgia Tech Fan
You can make this a tread "premised" on knocking the last QB if YOU want to..but that is not what I did at all... I stated pure fact. It does not matter what team we played..it is the style of play that I compared with THIS thread. And IT IS FACT! I don't care what game footage you pull. VAD LEE played scared. Period. It is no secret to me why VL could not beat Tevin out. I get why he left...we see it from JT as fans now that he is starting, & you better believe Coach saw it all along. A guy who is scared of contact CAN NOT run the option. As to the rest of your post. JT made some mistakes sure, he is green, but it was nice that it wasn't due to choking when the game was on the line.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like threads like this premised on knocking the last (or last two) Tech QBs. It is easy enough to just have a thread praising Thomas w/o the other stuff.

But I will go ahead and post my question/frustrating moment here. Why oh why did Thomas not run for the first down and instead threw back across his body into the middle of the field into good coverage (and almost get intercepted b/c of it)? The interception there probably would have been like a punt but if he just tucked and ran to the marker at worst he would have been pushed out a yard or so shy and you suddenly have a chance to go for it on 4th and short instead of having to punt b/c it is 4th and 5/7 (can't recall distance at the moment) .

That play just killed me watching it in the North Endzone because if anyone should know how fast Thomas is and that he could have gotten the first down with his legs there it is . . . . Justin Thomas.

So am I all wet on what I "think I saw" live? Don't get me wrong I am not knocking him overall. It was his third start and he will not be making the perfectly correct decision every play. But a first down there could have been so huge and with his speed I just don't understand how he didn't commit to running it on the scramble that one play and situation.

I saw it too. I think it is inexperience plus wanting to make a play with his arm. I am hoping with time that it will become "take what the defense gives you," which in this case was run it and try and run for the first down. I saw CPJ go over to him several times and talk things out. Really not worried about JT developing just how fast.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I recall watching Ricky Dobbs at Navy and thinking that their system looked faster than ours. I watched Navy yesterday and they looked they were running in slow motion compare to us.

So is it me or do others think that this is the fastest this offense has been run since Johnson has been here? Hard to argue that it was faster than the D-Thomas and J-Dwyer days, but with JT at QB and the stable of A backs we have, and I'd add Smelter in there too, top to bottom, this seems to be the most speed we've had on offense in a long while.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is no comparison of TW to JT. GT would have lost today with TW or VL
I am thrilled with JT. But I see no reason to make my enthusiasm for him a slam against Tevin. Tevin did not have good receivers to throw to. But I certainly agree that it is doubtful Lee could have brought the team back this way. He became way too timid about getting hit, something Tevin and JT have never shown.