JT - the Running QB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It also helps when we aren't getting sacked. VT has sacked our QB 8 times over the last 3 years. I think they got to JT once.

Point being, JT isn't going down behind the line very often.
Yup. We did a good job using max protect to set up the moving pocket Saturday. It was BB and play side AB rolling in front of the QB to augment the OL. We could afford to do it because all but 3 guys on defense were either coming or spying JT. We just banked on Smelter beating his guy one on one. Plus, it really helps when your QB is as gifted with his eyes and feet as JT is.

Animal02

Banned
It really is nice to this offense run with a balance or weapons. Seems like there have only been a couple of plays this season the JT looked indecisive....and that is to be expected with the lack of experience.
The moment teams start keying on the QB, CPJ will simply exploit whatever they are leaving open......and we have the players to do it. If only the D can continue to step up a notch.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We stuck with JT in short yardage situations late against VT.
Yes, stayed with JT on third and less than a yard twice and did not make it. Would have called different plays with Byerly and had a better chance. Hopefully lesson learned.

JT played great in the last two games and took a real beating, especially late in the game. IMO Byerly needs to take the third series in each half to spread out some of the licks to the QB and have JT more refreshed for the fourth Q. Byerly will also put some wear on the opposing D which will help us late in the game and will keep him "engaged" in the game for short yardage needs.

I like what Roof is doing with the D substitutions and I think a little more of that on the O, especially with Byerly, will help our overall and long term effort.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
So true. Some people talk about missing Dwyer etc and rightfully so. However, I think it amplifies things a little when your" play maker" is the guy who handles the ball every single play.
I agree, but we need that Dwyer type at Bback too. Laskey was inches from Saturday being '08 FSU all over again.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing about JT is when he breaks an explosion play, there's a pretty good chance he takes it to the house. Tevin would break loose a lot, but usually get caught from behind. He just couldn't eliminate angles. So a lot of times Tevin would have a nice run, but he couldn't finish it and then our drive would stall. JT changes all of this. When your QB is this kind of playmaker, it changes how defenses have to scheme you. In addition, our players know he can break it open at any time, so it makes them play harder also. He's the best kind of leader......one who leads by example!

JT is going to be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.......that should be his nickname "nightmare"

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What I saw a lot Saturday was when JT comes wide on the option, despite his speed, VT had outflanked the A back. The pitchman had no where to go. So with his quick eyes and decisiveness realized the best option was for him to keep and see what he could make out of it. He is our best running in space. It is amazing how he can turn the smallest gap into a nice gain.

Speaking of the pocket and pass blocking, I sure would have liked to see how the play near the end with the tipped ball would have ended if the ball were not tipped. Waller (I think it was) was way beyond the man covering him. Any throw in his vicinity would have been a score. Poor Zach kinda shuffled to his left and by the time he saw the rusher, he was past him. Had he got in the way of that ruahwe for a split second, JT could have gotten the pass off cleanly.

At this point in his career JT is averaging about 7 yards per carry as a QB in CPJ's system (7.1 in 2013 and 6.8 so far in 2014) You might look at that and yawn, or maybe you say WOW. Consider these official stats for QB average yards per carry at GT since CPJ's arrival, then think about the magnitude of what it means to the offense.

2013: VL 2.8 (JT 7.1)
2012: TW 3.9
2011: TW 4.1
2010: JN 4.4, TW 4.4
2009: JN 3.9
2008: JN 4.0

Granted, we are 1/3 of the way through the season. But despite the diminutive nature of the sample size it has some meaning. Looking back to last year it has remained pretty consistent and hasn't taken a dive with the starter fatigue factor in 2014. Also, if you are tempted to say "look at the level of competition at this point" consider the fact that his average went UP after playing VT, a team with a very well respected defense on a national scale.
The film of the first three games is easily dismissed by opposing DC's as suspect, but Saturday's game will not be ignored by the opposition. It makes them take a whole new look at defending us/JT. Our bread and butter, the jet toss was choked off, we still won. We went off tackle, gave BB enough touches to keep the defense looking inside and we passed. Big plays out of the passing game even though the overall numbers were paltry. BTW, I am nominating Kendall Fuller for the Chancellor Award for this game. If Perkins comes back healthy, look for big numbers from the A-backs going forward. DC's will have to account for Justin Thomas, leaving opportunities for the A backs wide, and in the counter.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I bet the overall result would have been about the same with Byerly. It always has been.

But let's hope that doesn't happen; JT is more of a home run threat and that makes defending us a tough proposition. Btw, I hope teams do start scheming for him. As others have pointed out, that means more opportunities for the edge stuff. A lot, I'd say, since they will probably start spying JT and the counters and toss will work better. You pay your money and you …

Final word: I think we are on the verge of seeing regular 100 ypg performances from Laskey. The center of the OL is blocking quite well and that's what was necessary. I also noticed that we ran the speed option against the Turkies with good results. Only 685 yards to go, btw.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most offenses have to worry about how to get the ball to their great playmakers often enough. Ours will have him touch it every play. There is a huge difference. How do you scheme? Do you shadow? We are already optioning guys off. Do you take still another defender out of the mix? It is a huge quandary for a DC, one that we haven't forced until this year.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Very well said.... He's the heart and soul of the offense and i don't think Byerly would get the job done
Bev is good kid and have not seen him throw but with our present offense we need speed and quickness of JT.....he needs to be healthy.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well kid is doing well no doubt........had a brush with another guy on another blog about JT being a leader.........in my mind he has taken over the offense and we go where he goes..............any takers.