JT - the Running QB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point in his career JT is averaging about 7 yards per carry as a QB in CPJ's system (7.1 in 2013 and 6.8 so far in 2014) You might look at that and yawn, or maybe you say WOW. Consider these official stats for QB average yards per carry at GT since CPJ's arrival, then think about the magnitude of what it means to the offense.

2013: VL 2.8 (JT 7.1)
2012: TW 3.9
2011: TW 4.1
2010: JN 4.4, TW 4.4
2009: JN 3.9
2008: JN 4.0

Granted, we are 1/3 of the way through the season. But despite the diminutive nature of the sample size it has some meaning. Looking back to last year it has remained pretty consistent and hasn't taken a dive with the starter fatigue factor in 2014. Also, if you are tempted to say "look at the level of competition at this point" consider the fact that his average went UP after playing VT, a team with a very well respected defense on a national scale.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
At this point in his career JT is averaging about 7 yards per carry as a QB in CPJ's system (7.1 in 2013 and 6.8 so far in 2014) You might look at that and yawn, or maybe you say WOW. Consider these official stats for QB average yards per carry at GT since CPJ's arrival, then think about the magnitude of what it means to the offense.

2013: VL 2.8 (JT 7.1)
2012: TW 3.9
2011: TW 4.1
2010: JN 4.4, TW 4.4
2009: JN 3.9
2008: JN 4.0

Granted, we are 1/3 of the way through the season. But despite the diminutive nature of the sample size it has some meaning. Looking back to last year it has remained pretty consistent and hasn't taken a dive with the starter fatigue factor in 2014. Also, if you are tempted to say "look at the level of competition at this point" consider the fact that his average went UP after playing VT, a team with a very well respected defense on a national scale.
Kid has done a wonderful job but he scares me in the late aspects of the game.he got hit pretty hard last quarter and we need to keep him well for as he goes.......we go.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
With the speed of JT and the blocking we are getting I am not too terribly surprised but 7 is an above average number for anyone running the ball 20+ times a game. Maybe the other teams will decide to take their chances with the A=backs or Bbacks after all this.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
With the speed of JT and the blocking we are getting I am not too terribly surprised but 7 is an above average number for anyone running the ball 20+ times a game. Maybe the other teams will decide to take their chances with the A=backs or Bbacks after all this.

This. Plus our WR is a weapon though mainly Smelter so far. Do think you will see teams start to key more on stopping JT running in which case we need to take advantage of our alternative weapons. So I expect JT avg to go down in future games but other positions will benefit from that

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) The 7 ypc average is huge
(2) I think other teams will now start to game plan to stop him and make him pitch the ball or throw the ball.
(3) This may mean fewer sacks, actually, as it may force a more cautious pass rush which concentrates more on making him throw and preventing the scramble.
(4) Ultimately, JT has to show he can throw it accurately and with good judgement
(5) if he can, there will simply be no stopping us on offense (as long as JT remains healthy)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He needs to get some help from the A backs. Teams will start keying on JT more than they do now.

If JT can be effective in the passing game, we will always have options to exploit the opponents' D. think back to the Ralph and Lil" Joe days. If you have the system AND athletes to execute it, something is always available.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind as well that we've been using Byerly as a short-yardage QB. But in general I agree his explosiveness is a game-changer for us.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
JT is better in traffic/in the trash than I expected. I knew he had a tremendous burst and was top end fast but I've been really pleased with his vision, quick feet, & craftiness. Dude will duck under a defender, fake pitch, put a hand on the ground and change direction, etc. Pulling off two come from behind wins in a row can't be bad for his confidence. Will be fun continuing to watch him improve because he can make a lot happen with his natural abilities.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been saying all last year and into this year that we need playmakers. Someone who can make a needed play against a big time opponent at a critical moment of the game. I think JT might just be that player.....quietly confident,
wants the ball in his hands at that critical moment , with the God given ability to make it happen. It's very exciting to watch him develop. He will have his misses too, but his ceiling is very high.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been saying all last year and into this year that we need playmakers. Someone who can make a needed play against a big time opponent at a critical moment of the game. I think JT might just be that player.....quietly confident,
wants the ball in his hands at that critical moment , with the God given ability to make it happen. It's very exciting to watch him develop. He will have his misses too, but his ceiling is very high.
So true. Some people talk about missing Dwyer etc and rightfully so. However, I think it amplifies things a little when your" play maker" is the guy who handles the ball every single play.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
It also helps when we aren't getting sacked. VT has sacked our QB 8 times over the last 3 years. I think they got to JT once.

Point being, JT isn't going down behind the line very often.

Another stat is that yesterday, we averaged 5.7 yard per carry against the Chokies. Only once since CPJ has been here have we had a higher ave per carry against VT and that was in 2010. Most years against VT, we average around 3.5.