JT - The Leader

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a huge Vad fan coming into last season as well, but now I can't help but think how good JT would be right now if he was the starter last season. I still think Vad is a good kid and wish him the best but he wasn't the right QB for this system.
Yeah JT would be even better if he had become the starter at some point last season. Vad wasn't getting it done just looked out of sorts. I had the honor of meeting both of these young men in Nashville and I wish Vad nothing but luck but I'm completely stoked that JT is running the show now.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
What about the little juke he put on the sideline in his 80 yard run that got called back? That was sick. It wasn't a huge move, but it bought him time to turn on the afterburners and get ahead of the defender. I would have loved to see a behind view of that play, so we could see the defenders reaction better.
Oh yeah, it was amazing. That kid has an amazing next gear and just so quick. Barring injury he could break rushing records for a QB at Tech. Love watching him play. I know he will have ups and downs but man he is exciting

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Last Tech player I saw that could make a defender look that bad was Robert Lavette. That was over 30 years ago.
That was a little before my time as far as actually remembering games because I'm only 36 but my dad told me plenty of stories about him. Hope JT stays healthy because we could be looking at something special.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess we'll see some fumble and bad pitches from time to time. But the kid has already figured out it's better to throw it away than try to force it to a receiver who isn't open.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess we'll see some fumble and bad pitches from time to time. But the kid has already figured out it's better to throw it away than try to force it to a receiver who isn't open.
Yeah, but I wonder if he's figured out it's better to eat it for a 2 yd loss than try a risky pitch that could easily be fumbled?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
That was a little before my time as far as actually remembering games because I'm only 36 but my dad told me plenty of stories about him. Hope JT stays healthy because we could be looking at something special.
Lavette was really something to watch. Never seen anything quite like him - he'd run into a clogged up middle - 4 DL/LB would have a solid shot at him and not a one of them could knock him off balance - he wasn't big or all that fast - you just could not tackle the guy. Curry said about him that his upper body was on a swivel.

As a freshman in the first game of the 1981 season, Tech travelled to Alabama to play the then #1 ranked Tide. Curry started Lavette who ran up and down the field including a come-from behind 4th qtr TD run where I think about half of Alabama's defense had a shot at him. That remarkable run gave us the lead and the first win over Bama in 20 years. Tech would not win another game that year and Bama would not lose another game that year.

Lavette is still holds the career rushing record at Tech at just over 4,000 yards. Too bad there isn't much on youtube - I have that Bama TD run on VHS - still can't figure out how he scored.

I did find this on youTube:

Last edited:

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Lavette was really something to watch. Never seen anything quite like him - he'd run into a clogged up middle - 4 DL/LB would have a solid shot at him and not a one of them could knock him off balance - he wasn't big or all that fast - you just could not tackle the guy. Curry said about him that his upper body was on a swivel.

As a freshman in the first game of the 1981 season, Tech travelled to Alabama to play the then #1 ranked Tide. Curry started Lavette who ran up and down the field including a come-from behind 4th qtr TD run where I think about half of Alabama's defense had a shot at him. That remarkable run gave us the lead and the first win over Bama in 20 years. Tech would not win another game that year and Bama would not lose another game that year.

Lavette is still holds the career rushing record at Tech at just over 4,000 yards. Too bad there isn't much on youtube - I have that Bama TD run on VHS - still can't figure out how he scored.

I did find this on youTube:

That's great, love watching videos from the older days before I was fortunate enough to go to or even remember Tech games. Have to say my first Tech have was a memorable one though. 1990 citrus bowl for the national championship!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last Tech player I saw that could make a defender look that bad was Robert Lavette. That was over 30 years ago.
That is true, but he wasn't nearly as fast. He had some of the best running instincts of anybody in the game, he just lacked prototype speed and size.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree 100%.

We now have hope going into every game, and there will be games we lose because the other athletes are better, but I now feel we will have a chance because we are playing as a TEAM. (and because our QB is a wizard!)

PS-the play that impressed me the most is when JT ducked UNDER the tackle of that VT defensive lineman. You could almost hear him go "I Gotchya...whoop! Where'd he go?"
The duck under was awesome, but the part that really turned my crank on that play was the immediate cut back while he was ducked down that left the MLB on the ground. Two moves in one. No kidding. Most running backs would never even sense that crease developing and would have just run into the pursuit.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Alright, I'm going to make a comparison that is way to premature. But, watching the game Saturday, I saw much of the same skills. JT reminds me of a young Michael Vick. I think Vick was faster, stronger arm and bigger, but the moves in and out of traffic, the ability to out-run the angles, the scramble to buy time and get out of trouble were very similar. Maybe it was Lane Stadium, VPI, I don't know, but the only other

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Alright, I'm going to make a comparison that is way to premature. But, watching the game Saturday, I saw much of the same skills. JT reminds me of a young Michael Vick. I think Vick was faster, stronger arm and bigger, but the moves in and out of traffic, the ability to out-run the angles, the scramble to buy time and get out of trouble were very similar. Maybe it was Lane Stadium, VPI, I don't know, but the only other

Here's a more recent example of who JT reminds me of:

Manziel is the better passer, but JT is faster. Both use their legs to buy time and extend plays.

Glad the Miami game is on prime time. Could be the game to put JT on the national map.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My son coaches high school in Texas. Was at Baylor a number of years ago. He saw practice squad running plays and said there was a kid that would be running a play and would make his body disappear and reappear 20 yards down field (rgIII has statute next to new Baylor stadium. ) . When he watched recent films of JT including the duck under, he confirmed we have the MATRIX. Circa Brent Cunningham but as the qb!

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

As a freshman in the first game of the 1981 season, Tech travelled to Alabama to play the then #1 ranked Tide. Curry started Lavette who ran up and down the field including a come-from behind 4th qtr TD run.

went to school in the Lavette and Ivery era - enjoyed seeing both befuddled defenses. I do remember the Alabama win for a different reason and can tell you the exact date 9/12/81 - my wedding day. Possibly the only day since I started Tech that I didn't attend, watch or listen to a game - but had an extra glass of champagne when I heard the score