JT Read Videos #2

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These videos are JT's 3TO from the BYU game.

The first 2 are kinda options. The BB does not look like a true read but intended to block his read. There is no clear mesh.

The last one looks like a true option with a mesh. The read to not give to the BB is good. JT gets to his second read, seems to fake the pitch to the get the read "outside", turns his head, see the inside is closed by two other players, and runs to the outside. A pitch here goes for the TD or close to it.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
These videos are JT's 3TO from the BYU game.

The first 2 are kinda options. The BB does not look like a true read but intended to block his read. There is no clear mesh.

The last one looks like a true option with a mesh. The read to not give to the BB is good. JT gets to his second read, seems to fake the pitch to the get the read "outside", turns his head, see the inside is closed by two other players, and runs to the outside. A pitch here goes for the TD or close to it.

We need better blocking by the BB on plays like that first one. This is a play I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of this year because it's designed to get Justin on the perimeter while making the defense still have to think about defending the inside with the TO look. If we can get a better block by our BB's on this play, I think this kind of play can be very potent for us with Justin.

I like the third play because it shows very well what Justin Thomas can do for you. To me the play looks defended pretty well. If the Justin pitches AND the AB actually gets his man on the ground, then I think you're right it could be a TD. But, it didn't look to me like the BYU defender was going to be taken out by that block. If that's the case, I think the pitch gets about 6 yards. Well, Justin Thomas actually doesn't quite make the right decision because he's trying to make something bigger happen. By doing that he gets himself hemmed in. ... And, then he still gets about 6 yards anyway with pure athleticism and elusiveness. He maximizes the available yardage and even gets more than you think possible.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need better blocking by the BB on plays like that first one. This is a play I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of this year because it's designed to get Justin on the perimeter while making the defense still have to think about defending the inside with the TO look. If we can get a better block by our BB's on this play, I think this kind of play can be very potent for us with Justin.

I like the third play because it shows very well what Justin Thomas can do for you. To me the play looks defended pretty well. If the Justin pitches AND the AB actually gets his man on the ground, then I think you're right it could be a TD. But, it didn't look to me like the BYU defender was going to be taken out by that block. If that's the case, I think the pitch gets about 6 yards. Well, Justin Thomas actually doesn't quite make the right decision because he's trying to make something bigger happen. By doing that he gets himself hemmed in. ... And, then he still gets about 6 yards anyway with pure athleticism and elusiveness. He maximizes the available yardage and even gets more than you think possible.

Ya JT has some moves!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I agree, Sims' block in vid 1 was bad, but his block in vid 2 was spot on.

Also, I'm worried about JT's track on the option run down the line. He's still arcing instead of going straight down and at the pitch read. He loses a whole yard to yard and a half doing this. Maybe he's supposed to, I dunno.

Thanks Longestday for putting these out!!