JT Pass

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
His size reminds me of Reggie Ball. Then I see the pass is on time and on target and all comparisons vanish. Also, JT doesn't take a 15 yard drop like Reggie did.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The pass was definitely catchable, and was caught. But if he'd have led his receiver instead of making him pirouette, the defender would have had no chance at tackling him. Liked the mechanics and the throw, just can't rave about the accuracy. Is that Laskey? Nice adjustment to the ball.

Now if the defender was in tight coverage, that was a perfect back-shoulder pass--textbook. Unfortunately the defender was two steps back and chasing. The adjustment would have given him time to catch up.

Regardless, I'm excited to see JT throw the ball around and make good decisions with the ball.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, I didn't love the mechanics.

I don't love his mechanics much like I didn't love Vad's mechanics. Neither one of them get over top of the ball and really drive their throws. Look at his rear (right) leg. Watch how his delivery sends his leg out to the right, instead of directly at his target. That's a sign of "slinging" the ball, and slinging the ball (think a baseball middle infielder's delivery) leads to getting under the ball, and sailing it.

It lets you deliver faster, but you can't get as much power OR accuracy on the ball.

It's not going to change at this point. His delivery is his delivery, but I don't think you can pretend that it's a classical QB delivery. He may end up as a great QB at GT, but I don't think he's ever going to be a guy who is immune from sailing the ball on occasion.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a Laskey catch. I agree if he leads him thats a TD. The LB was behind him and would have never been able to make a play if the ball would have been thrown out in front of him, Laskey has good hands. I think he made a over the shoulder against Duke for a TD last year and a 70 yarder against UVA 2 years ago when TW was the QB.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
That was a Laskey catch. I agree if he leads him thats a TD. The LB was behind him and would have never been able to make a play if the ball would have been thrown out in front of him, Laskey has good hands. I think he made a over the shoulder against Duke for a TD last year and a 70 yarder against UVA 2 years ago when TW was the QB.

Yes on both...was just watching that UVA game last week. First play on offense for us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Missed the A back wide open in the middle of the field had two guys on Smelter
Not so sure about that, it's hard to tell if there were two on Smelter when JT still had the ball in his hands. Our field of view is too small to tell. Most likely one of those two guys was covering the Aback and peeled off when he saw the throw to the sideline. He appeared to be covering Smelter when the field off view opened up.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Not so sure about that, it's hard to tell if there were two on Smelter when JT still had the ball in his hands. Our field of view is too small to tell. Most likely one of those two guys was covering the Aback and peeled off when he saw the throw to the sideline. He appeared to be covering Smelter when the field off view opened up.

I think its either Perkins or hill that is the left A-back. When JT drops back to pass if you look at middle of the field when the ball is in the air you will see that both the corner and safety have their back to the ball running with the WR in the top right of the screen (I assume the WR is Smelter or it could be Summers I can't see the number) leaving the other safety to guard the other WR and A-back simultaneously.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think its either Perkins or hill that is the left A-back. When JT drops back to pass if you look at middle of the field when the ball is in the air you will see that both the corner and safety have their back to the ball running with the WR in the top right of the screen (I assume the WR is Smelter or it could be Summers I can't see the number) leaving the other safety to guard the other WR and A-back simultaneously.
Yes, but what we can't see is the whole field prior to the pass. I think one of those guys that appears to be on the wr was covering the aback then peeled off after the throw.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For your viewing pleasure...this is the overview of the same pass. JT made the right call!!!!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
great view there long...this shows me if it was a better pass that was a TD. he threw it behind Laskey who had to adjust. Pretty good catch though and looks like a 24 yard gain. That's a pretty good gain IMO.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
great view there long...this shows me if it was a better pass that was a TD. he threw it behind Laskey who had to adjust. Pretty good catch though and looks like a 24 yard gain. That's a pretty good gain IMO.

It was a back shoulder throw. If you try to throw over the defender, you have a much greater chance at an incompletion/interception.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
ball was under thrown IMO. That was a difficult catch when you have to stop and turn 180 degrees. I think we win that match up 95% of the time with a LB trying to cover a BB.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that JT's mechanics aren't picture perfect on this throw. However, he does set up, he does follow through, and it isn't a bad throw. If he had ended up with his back shoulder all the way through, it would have been just about right, but the way he does it works. And there is the plus that he gets rid of the ball quickly.

I think the jury will be out until we see if he can hit the quick poppers over the LBs, like Keenan Reynolds does with such accuracy and speed of delivery. If he can do that even once a game opposing Ds will be in a true quandary. I might add that we already know that Byerly can make that throw.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a back shoulder throw. If you try to throw over the defender, you have a much greater chance at an incompletion/interception.

Lead him a bit more and you might hit the receiver in stride for a big gain. Or have the ball batted down if the defender turns his head in time.
I'm OK with the outcome.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm excited about our QB's this year. I agree that TB can make the throw down the field with accuracy and touch. I hope we see more of the BB wheel route this year. It's been a pretty good play for us the last couple years. Teams will have to adjust playing a safety over the top to help the LB which should open up the deep ball to the WR

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Play side AB was wide open at the 45 and would have been a good choice. Motion AB would be open if he kept moving to the sideline but he stopped and the LB was waiting. Pass to Laskey was also a good choice but the pass required more accuracy than the AB choice at the 45. Best thing about the play was QB had enough time to set, look, and throw without all the usual drama of survival.