JT is our starter, but....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Still to this day I wonder why he struggled so much with the TO. Was he really not cut out for it, or did he just never buy into it? I'm sure it's probably a bit of both, but you do wonder if someone like Vad truly bought into the system how great we could be on offense.

It wasn't about buying in or not. Vad had the same problem that Thomas had last year. An inability of the OL to block. People forget that we had a tremendous amount of injuries on the OL that year that caused our line to be penetrated more often than, well I don't think I should finish that analogy. Point being is that no QB is going to look good with as many defenders in the backfield. It just didn't help that after the best win we had that season he was told that it wasn't the "right" way to win.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys think that CPJ had 2 game plans for VT based on whether or not JT could go? TV announcers made it sound like the decision to start MJ was made during warmups. IMO the game plan was set regardless of the starter, and we were going to attack them inside with JT if he could go, and CPJ would limit the playbook if JT couldn't go. Yes I liked what MJ brought last weekend, but JT scores on that same play from midfield too, and he probably doesn't overthrow Marshall on that seam route. And MJ probably comes in at the goal line and plows if he's called on to do that.

I played "if" golf yesterday and shot 65! [emoji4]

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
JT is clearly the starter. I do want to see him commit to run if he gets trapped inside like he did in the Duke game. He is more polished and a better passer. However, I would not mind a series given to MJ.
I would like for him to get 3 or 4 series but because we are up 28 in the third

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yup, D has been our problem most games. Not O most games.

JT willed us to win BC and Fluke and was the single reason we won those games IMHO. But not Miami where the back to back scoop and scores were the game. I guess JT fumbles don't show up in the 3 TOs.

We'll be fine next year with MJ or tFR. It's the D that needs fixing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes JT has put us on his back and won some games for us. No that doesn't mean the O is fine and doesn't need fixing. The O isn't in need of as much fixing as the D but there is plenty room for improvement.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yes JT has put us on his back and won some games for us. No that doesn't mean the O is fine and doesn't need fixing. The O isn't in need of as much fixing as the D but there is plenty room for improvement.
We're a Middle of the pack team.

Every single middle of the pack team can say the same thing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are a resilient buch, but we are a flawed team on both sides of the ball. We are a good enough offense, if we were paired with a dominant defense, but we are not. Offensively we aren't quite good enough to carry the team that way. Defensively, just getting off the field has proven to be a major challenge. It is a tough combo when your offense has trouble sustaining drives and your defense is last in 3rd down conversion rate.

I was very happy to win Saturday, but the fact that we got doubled up on # of offensive plays run is a very troubling sign. I'll bet historically that the team in that position wins, at most, 10% of the time.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was a medium ugly win. The big plays were not flukes.

The team needs to play better to win or have the other team self destruct.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If the mutts scheme all week to take away the pitch and make JT beat em with the keep, which has been the main strategy against us this year, Matt Jordan and the qb keeper should be lethal. I highly doubt they'd be able to adapt on the fly. The real question is will CPJ be willing to try it.

Heck, they may not to be able to stop our bread and butter with JT.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If the mutts scheme all week to take away the pitch and make JT beat em with the keep, which has been the main strategy against us this year, Matt Jordan and the qb keeper should be lethal. I highly doubt they'd be able to adapt on the fly. The real question is will CPJ be willing to try it.

Heck, they may not to be able to stop our bread and butter with JT.
Or he could bring in MJ in a short yardage situation and pitch it and we go wide. :):)

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems to me our playbook is limited, to some degree, by both both qb's.

That said, why not play both? Imagine how hard it would be to prepare for both qb's and the unique challenges each represents. The only downside I see right now is the increased risk of turnover when Matthew is in. If he can get his ball security down, I'd love to see us mix and match our qb's.

Its not like JT doesn't have ball security issues of his own.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems to me our playbook is limited, to some degree, by both both qb's.

That said, why not play both? Imagine how hard it would be to prepare for both qb's and the unique challenges each represents. The only downside I see right now is the increased risk of turnover when Matthew is in. If he can get his ball security down, I'd love to see us mix and match our qb's.
I think that might be a good idea, in fact part of the time we could send in the play using the qb or use a running back if there is not qb change.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We are a resilient buch, but we are a flawed team on both sides of the ball. We are a good enough offense, if we were paired with a dominant defense, but we are not. Offensively we aren't quite good enough to carry the team that way. Defensively, just getting off the field has proven to be a major challenge. It is a tough combo when your offense has trouble sustaining drives and your defense is last in 3rd down conversion rate.

I was very happy to win Saturday, but the fact that we got doubled up on # of offensive plays run is a very troubling sign. I'll bet historically that the team in that position wins, at most, 10% of the time.

Fwiw, I wouldn't be surprised if the team in that position wins 100% of the time because I wouldn't be surprised if our game was the only one ever where one team ran more than twice as many plays as the other.