JT is our starter, but....

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Yup. 2012 Vad was the Vad that bought in. Looked like a future stud for us...then he went off to that glamorous QB camp and all the top QBs there started calling him "triple option" and I think it kinda changed him.

That's the difference in recruiting QBs now. We don't ever hear our QBs say "CPJ is going to expand the offense." like we did before. Now it's what it is...the QB either likes it, or he doesn't.
And that hit he took in the UNC game. He checked out of the triple option after that.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Vad's main problem was that he did not like to get hit. I am seeing some of the same from JT now due to his size. MJ can work if he is given more snaps in practice.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Both JeT and MJ have their pluses and minuses.

At this point, JeT has WAY more in the plus column than MJ has. MJ seems to really struggle with our perimeter option game (3O, tosses, speed, etc.) and he's not a strong passer. JeT isn't as strong between the tackles, but he does most everything else very well...plus he has game breaking ability.

I'd like to see MJ get a series or two, but JeT is clearly the starter if he's able to go.
Don't know if any of you watched the Tift/North Cobb game friday, but the QB for NC, Will Lovett runs the TO for them. Senior 6.5 230#good runner, good passer,very quick. Would fit in great with Tech, but commited to Troy?? Don't know if Tech ever talked to him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Beat me to it boomer. If our guys minds aren't right UVA can beat us in a blowout. Ditto the reverse. I expect another slugfest and I'm hoping the Sr day crowd can bring.....?half? what vpi fans brought against us Saturday

BuzzKillington

Georgia Tech Fan
Vad's main problem was that he did not like to get hit. I am seeing some of the same from JT now due to his size. MJ can work if he is given more snaps in practice.
No one likes to get hit. I saw MJ get bounced on Saturday harder than I've ever seen JT get hit head on.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Huh? "know we will win"? Man, your mind is in a way different place than mine right now. How do you think half of Lane Stadium felt right before kickoff Saturday?
Guess I did a bad job of saying what I was thinking .:) Sometimes I type one thing but it doesn't come out right. What I was trying to say JT is the starter if we get a big lead by late 3rd or 4th quarter then we can pull him and play MJ. Problem is what is a big lead ?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There are some guys who can get pretty good looking throws (tight spiral and good zip) without setting their feet, abbreviated wind up, etc. They don't tend to be accurate, but it looks like a good arm. Others have good arms but when the mechanics break down they look like ducks. Tevin was the poster child of that, but had decent accuracy anyway. Jordan is a little in between. What is more important is that he wasn't forced into those throws very often -- just antsy.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Guess I did a bad job of saying what I was thinking .:) Sometimes I type one thing but it doesn't come out right. What I was trying to say JT is the starter if we get a big lead by late 3rd or 4th quarter then we can pull him and play MJ. Problem is what is a big lead ?
Oh. Haha. Now I get what you were saying. IF, IF we are up 4 scores in Q3, we need to pull him. Absolutely.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind that the OL was not very good in 2013. This played a lot into the Vad issues. Same thing with JT and 2015 OL. Vad and JT ran for thier lived most of those years. The OL can make you or break you as a QB. I think JT handled the bad OL play better than Vad.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me our playbook is limited, to some degree, by both both qb's.

That said, why not play both? Imagine how hard it would be to prepare for both qb's and the unique challenges each represents. The only downside I see right now is the increased risk of turnover when Matthew is in. If he can get his ball security down, I'd love to see us mix and match our qb's.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys think that CPJ had 2 game plans for VT based on whether or not JT could go? TV announcers made it sound like the decision to start MJ was made during warmups. IMO the game plan was set regardless of the starter, and we were going to attack them inside with JT if he could go, and CPJ would limit the playbook if JT couldn't go. Yes I liked what MJ brought last weekend, but JT scores on that same play from midfield too, and he probably doesn't overthrow Marshall on that seam route. And MJ probably comes in at the goal line and plows if he's called on to do that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In theory this works well, but I suspect it would cause massive headaches with pitch relationship, QB C Exchange and even the mesh with BB.. A lot of that is timing and finesse, and switching between the QBs intraseries would be hard I imagine to get right.

It seems to me our playbook is limited, to some degree, by both both qb's.

That said, why not play both? Imagine how hard it would be to prepare for both qb's and the unique challenges each represents. The only downside I see right now is the increased risk of turnover when Matthew is in. If he can get his ball security down, I'd love to see us mix and match our qb's.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys think that CPJ had 2 game plans for VT based on whether or not JT could go? TV announcers made it sound like the decision to start MJ was made during warmups. IMO the game plan was set regardless of the starter, and we were going to attack them inside with JT if he could go, and CPJ would limit the playbook if JT couldn't go. Yes I liked what MJ brought last weekend, but JT scores on that same play from midfield too, and he probably doesn't overthrow Marshall on that seam route. And MJ probably comes in at the goal line and plows if he's called on to do that.
I could be wrong but I thought he said after the game he knew on Tuesday that he would not go.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong but I thought he said after the game he knew on Tuesday that he would not go.
That makes sense, and answering my own question he probably game planned with MJ as the starter. Thanks - I hadn't heard that.

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember watching JT coming in to spell Vad Lee in the Miami game of 2013. He struggled throwing some simple out routes with a lot of pace. I don't question much about JT's arm/accuracy now one bit. I've seen MJ's arm strength in practice and in games. I don't worry one bit about MJ's arm strength.

Many D1 QB's need a second to come in and get the jitters out before throwing to their full (current) potential. I feel like that's kind of what we saw Saturday. MJ threw just fine -- with great pace -- on the run to Brad Stewart on a come back...and then threw a duck to Quay not long after. But there's not one part of me that worries about MJ throwing the ball. I only worry about all the "normal" things to worry about with EVERY QB....will be accurate....will he make good decisions....will his timing be good. Those are just normal worries I have with EVERY QB.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully he plays both of them. They present a different dynamic in ways they run the option. Gives opposing defenses more to prepare for.