JT is our starter, but....

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I know and fully understand JT is our starter baring injury, but could we see Jordan start against UVA, in order to give JT more rest for the Mutts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Both JeT and MJ have their pluses and minuses.

At this point, JeT has WAY more in the plus column than MJ has. MJ seems to really struggle with our perimeter option game (3O, tosses, speed, etc.) and he's not a strong passer. JeT isn't as strong between the tackles, but he does most everything else very well...plus he has game breaking ability.

I'd like to see MJ get a series or two, but JeT is clearly the starter if he's able to go.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Big takeaway from the VPI game is I'm no longer totally completed scared of next year's prospects w.r.t. the QB position.
Ditto, i was already worring if lucas johnson could handle it as a redshirt freshman. now i see a path for jm to succeed.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
JT is the starter and will start. If we get a big lead then MJ needs to come in so JT doesn't get hurt in a game we know we will win by late 3rd quarter or early 4th . Question would be what is a big lead.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
mj didnt look too slow when he did the end run for 11 yards. his speed is pretty good from what i saw.

im happy with what i saw of him. we will be in decent hands next year and if anybody beats him out i do hope its due to passing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
MJ isn't that bad at throwing, just got happy feet and left the pocket way to early when no rush was coming. Give him a summer of working with the 1s at WR and he will be just fine IMO.

I don't know how good/bad he is as an in-game thrower, however, I agree wholeheartedly that Saturday's struggles were more about inexperience in a hostile environment.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ditto, i was already worring if lucas johnson could handle it as a redshirt freshman. now i see a path for jm to succeed.

I'm excited about the QBs next year. I stated it in another thread that I think MJ will remain the starter, but CPJ will start blooding the better of Lucas Johnson or Jay Jones (whoever it ends up being) like he did with Tevin and Vad in 2012.

If Lucas ends up being what we think he can be, it's going to be exciting times on the flats. Big guy who can be a power runner inside the tackles, has the athleticism and speed to run the full gamut of our flex option playbook, AND a good passer? Don't want to jinx it because of the same expectations we had with Vad, but man...having a QB that can do all of it certainly changes the equation.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Back when Reggie was our QB, I saw a question to Chan where the reporter asked if "… The problem with Reggie's throwing is that he doesn't have a strong arm." Gailey looked at him like he was green and had just landed from Neptune. Reg had an arm like a cannon and all the coaches knew it. His problem was that that made him take too many risks. Chan hated that.

Matthew has a big arm - look at his high school films. His problem is that he has never gotten an opportunity to show it. Now, if there is one person on the planet who hates turnovers more then Chan did it is Coach. He has put Matthew in the games work at the goal line, to eat clock, and not make mistakes. Iow: no passing. Period. And, sure enough, MJ (I'm going to call him that from now on) has obeyed orders. The result is that he hasn't had many opportunities to throw and isn't as proficient as he would like to be. This will all work out.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about the QBs next year. I stated it in another thread that I think MJ will remain the starter, but CPJ will start blooding the better of Lucas Johnson or Jay Jones (whoever it ends up being) like he did with Tevin and Vad in 2012.

If Lucas ends up being what we think he can be, it's going to be exciting times on the flats. Big guy who can be a power runner inside the tackles, has the athleticism and speed to run the full gamut of our flex option playbook, AND a good passer? Don't want to jinx it because of the same expectations we had with Vad, but man...having a QB that can do all of it certainly changes the equation.
Difference is Johnson has bought in from the beginning on this system. Vad wanted to change. johnson knows the deal (and had experience in it). i see him as your kaipo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Difference is Johnson has bought in from the beginning on this system. Vad wanted to change. johnson knows the deal (and had experience in it). i see him as your kaipo.

Yup. 2012 Vad was the Vad that bought in. Looked like a future stud for us...then he went off to that glamorous QB camp and all the top QBs there started calling him "triple option" and I think it kinda changed him.

That's the difference in recruiting QBs now. We don't ever hear our QBs say "CPJ is going to expand the offense." like we did before. Now it's what it is...the QB either likes it, or he doesn't.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yup. 2012 Vad was the Vad that bought in. Looked like a future stud for us...then he went off to that glamorous QB camp and all the top QBs there started calling him "triple option" and I think it kinda changed him.

That's the difference in recruiting QBs now. We don't ever hear our QBs say "CPJ is going to expand the offense." like we did before. Now it's what it is...the QB either likes it, or he doesn't.
It's crazy. Vad was a higher rated recruit than Mariota and Prescott.​

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy. Vad was a higher rated recruit than Mariota and Prescott.​

Still to this day I wonder why he struggled so much with the TO. Was he really not cut out for it, or did he just never buy into it? I'm sure it's probably a bit of both, but you do wonder if someone like Vad truly bought into the system how great we could be on offense.