JT finally getting credit from National Media?!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
First time I've seen somebody acknowledge the OB was a GT blowout. I would quibble only with the "marginal arm" observation. For sure he is not a fire-and-fall-back QB, but the arm is not marginal. He can drill it as he had to do several times vs. FSU and VT and the like. He is the perfect meld for Johnson's combo of option run and run-and-shoot throwing the ball.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love what JT is modeling to future QB prospects. That in this offense, a true dual-threat QB can have an awful lot of fun. And, be highly productive. Let's hope that in time, JT will turn out to have been important to us beyond his offensive stats and any wins the team gets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I love what JT is modeling to future QB prospects. That in this offense, a true dual-threat QB can have an awful lot of fun. And, be highly productive. Let's hope that in time, JT will turn out to have been important to us beyond his offensive stats and any wins the team gets.
Pied-Piper-Mom.gif

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things I'll take exception to:
One, if there is a player to watch game in and game out in the Sun Belt, it's Georgia Southern's Matt Breida.
Two, I don't consider JT's arm "marginal." I think that's a knock borne out of the fact Tech doesn't pass much. But 18 touchdown passes in a run-heavy offense didn't come on screen passes and dump offs last year. Well, not all of them.
JT is probably the best QB PJ has had at GT. I'm still a little partial to Greg Hill, and not just because he's a friend.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Calling JeT's arm "marginal" is just an obvious indication that the guy doesn't watch us play. In no way shape or form is that true. I admit, he can't sling it like Jeff George, but there is enough arm strength there to be a good QB in pretty much any system. The writer just has no idea and simply assumes a shortish QB in a run first offense who can scoot must not have an arm. In terms of arm strength, I would say JT is right up there with Li'l Joe and possibly even Shawn Jones.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't JeT recruited at QB for FSU against Winston?

I mean yes Bama wanted him at CB but other teams thought he was a good QB too right?

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
No. No they didn't. Not at the top level any way.

According to FSU's staff, they were prepared to take Justin over Jameis as their QB.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...me-first-meeting-jameis-winston-justin-thomas

Former FSU assistant coach Dameyune Craig was the primary recruiter for both Thomas and Winston, and he gave the hard sell to both. Winston was a top QB prospect, and Thomas was one of the top athletes in the area. Both had a chance to play baseball professionally, and there were plenty of questions about whether Winston, who was drafted by Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers out of high school, would end up playing college football. So when word spread that Thomas' commitment to Alabama was on life support, Craig made his play.

Craig was in the Thomases' living room and put Milton on the phone with Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher. The offer, Milton said, was simple. If Justin would commit to FSU right then and there, the Seminoles would tell the rest of their recruits -- including Winston -- that they had their QB.

"It was one of those deals they were only going to take one of us, and if I'd pulled the trigger first, it would've been me," Thomas said.

Last edited: