Joshua Manns arrested in attempted Burglary and Rape of Female GT student

Deleted member 2897

WSB TV reported that Joshua Manns of Atlanta was arrested for the attempted burglary and rape of a Female GT student(the Mugshots website said she was a GT student but this article didn't).

https:// www.georgianewsday.com/news/459808-atlanta-man-joshua-manns-arrested-accused-of-attempted-rape.html

So many things to learn from in this article. Walking around by yourself in downtown Atlanta in the middle of the night. Saved by your roommate who was shacking up with her boyfriend.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So many things to learn from in this article. Walking around by yourself in downtown Atlanta in the middle of the night. Saved by your roommate who was shacking up with her boyfriend.

The 800 block of Spring Street is at Tech Square. She could have gone to Waffle House to get some food. She could have been at another student's apartment studying. The GT police should do a better job of keeping that area safe. There are going to be some people out late partying. However, in that area with GT buildings and student apartments, there are going to be plenty of students out late studying or working on projects.

The area is a lot nicer now than it was when I was in school. When I was there, you didn't want to go South or North Avenue or East of the connector after dark.

Deleted member 2897

The 800 block of Spring Street is at Tech Square. She could have gone to Waffle House to get some food. She could have been at another student's apartment studying. The GT police should do a better job of keeping that area safe. There are going to be some people out late partying. However, in that area with GT buildings and student apartments, there are going to be plenty of students out late studying or working on projects.

The area is a lot nicer now than it was when I was in school. When I was there, you didn't want to go South or North Avenue or East of the connector after dark.

I didn't say she was out being a hooker. I just said she was out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say she was out being a hooker. I just said she was out.

And my point was that there are bound to be students out late and alone in that area. There are lots of student apartment buildings there all the way from 10th Street to the GT Hotel. There is a new one going up just North of the Varsity. If students study together and then leave late, even if they start walking together it is highly likely that in one direction or another the last student will be walking alone. If that is where student housing is being set up, then it should be maintained as a decently safe environment.

Deleted member 2897

And my point was that there are bound to be students out late and alone in that area. There are lots of student apartment buildings there all the way from 10th Street to the GT Hotel. There is a new one going up just North of the Varsity. If students study together and then leave late, even if they start walking together it is highly likely that in one direction or another the last student will be walking alone. If that is where student housing is being set up, then it should be maintained as a decently safe environment.

I know that was your point. I'm just saying that's not safe. If you're going out to get food or going out to study in the middle of the night, make plans for how to get back without having to be out all alone. I would say the same if it was someone walking around central campus. Its obviously more safe there as opposed to the campus fringes, but the point remains.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

What changes do you propose to increase their effectiveness? Hire enough Popo to walk each student to every class and to every errand they run?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What changes do you propose to increase their effectiveness? Hire enough Popo to walk each student to every class and to every errand they run?

I probably misspoke in saying the GT police. I should have said the University in general. The University has expanded and is expanding into that area. The 800 block of Spring street currently has the GT Hotel, the GT Bookstore, GTRI, and some GT classrooms. Those are all owned by GT. In addition to that, there are at least 3 student apartment buildings for GT students. There is a GT student apartment building going up between 3rd Street and 4th Street. There is a huge GT building going up between 3rd and 4th and Spring and West Peachtree. Except for the red light at the Hotel/Bookstore, that area of Spring Street isn't very well lit. I don't remember any campus emergency stations there. I'm sure there are some cameras, but I don't know where they are. They aren't very noticeable. Peachtree is well lit and very public. West Peachtree in that area looks like a backstreet. Spring Street in that area looks like the backside of a backstreet. Since GT has expanded into that area of Midtown and wants to expand more they should build up, or work with the City of Atlanta in areas that GT does not own to build up the area to make it more like campus and less like the old Techwood housing projects.

Animal02

Banned
I probably misspoke in saying the GT police. I should have said the University in general. The University has expanded and is expanding into that area. The 800 block of Spring street currently has the GT Hotel, the GT Bookstore, GTRI, and some GT classrooms. Those are all owned by GT. In addition to that, there are at least 3 student apartment buildings for GT students. There is a GT student apartment building going up between 3rd Street and 4th Street. There is a huge GT building going up between 3rd and 4th and Spring and West Peachtree. Except for the red light at the Hotel/Bookstore, that area of Spring Street isn't very well lit. I don't remember any campus emergency stations there. I'm sure there are some cameras, but I don't know where they are. They aren't very noticeable. Peachtree is well lit and very public. West Peachtree in that area looks like a backstreet. Spring Street in that area looks like the backside of a backstreet. Since GT has expanded into that area of Midtown and wants to expand more they should build up, or work with the City of Atlanta in areas that GT does not own to build up the area to make it more like campus and less like the old Techwood housing projects.
Tech is not a University.....It is a Technological Institute. :p