Josh Pastner wins ACC COY with...

How many ACC wins guarantees Josh Pastner ACC COY?

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 16 15.4%

Votes: 53 51.0%

Votes: 21 20.2%

Votes: 11 10.6%

• Total voters

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I woke up thinking about creating a "... of the Year" thread. Glad this was started.

Agree on CPast. Deserves it at 6 wins, barring Brey, Hamilton or maybe anyone running the table the rest of the way or going 16-2. Realistically CPast won't get it unless we get to 10, imo. Hard to see 9-9 moving the needle enough, despite what he inherited, given our 8-10 conference record last year.

How about the other "... of the Year"s?

Most Improved
Candidate: Ben Lammers, 'nuff said.
Competitors: Maybe Luke Kennard? LAST YEAR: 11.8 ppg, 3.6 reb, 1.5 ast, THIS YEAR: 20.2 ppg, 5.6 reb, 2.5 ast this year

Defensive POY
Candidate: Ben Lammers, 'nuff said.
Competitors: Maybe... maybe... Dennis Smith, Jr? Top 20 in country in steals per game with 2.2. Lammers though is #3 in the NCAA with 3.3 blocks per game.

Freshman
Candidate: Josh Okogie... averaging 14.8 pts, 4.2 reb, 1.6 ast, 1.3 steals
Competitors: Leader is probably Dennis Smith, Jr... averaging 19.5 pts, 4.3 reb, 6.2 ast, 2.2 steals. Ky Bowman (BC) has a nice resume at 12.2 pts, 4.1 reb, 2.4 ast.

Could be a sweep. I'd project only Lammers to bring home the hardware as of today. Okogie is next most likely (though still unlikely), followed by CPast.

Thoughts? Feels like I probably missed some competitors.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Jay Bilas did his 94 feet segment by himself during Big Monday tonight.

Coach of the Year? He went with Brey and followed with "Josh Pastner is in the conversation"

Biggest surprise? Started by naming John Collins (Wake) and followed with his selection is Ben Lammers, Georgia Tech.

Rookie of the Year? Dennis Smith Jr.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Does anyone have the link to the radio show tonight? Andy sent me a tweet thanking me for a question used on the show and it would be dope to listen to. Gracias

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Coach of the Year? He went with Brey and followed with "Josh Pastner is in the conversation"

Biggest surprise? Started by naming John Collins (Wake) and followed with his selection is Ben Lammers, Georgia Tech.

He's not wrong. I was going to sit down and jot some notes to help out with your award thread. Collins is a player.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I heard that segment and agreed with him all the way. Smith, Jr is a candidate for POY, so we need to temper our expectations on Okogie. I wonder why Smith did not get Rookie of the Week last week over Okogie. Especially since his numbers were over the top. He scored 46 points, 11 rebounds (for a PG), and nine assists. Of course, the way he plays D is indefensible.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I heard that segment and agreed with him all the way. Smith, Jr is a candidate for POY, so we need to temper our expectations on Okogie. I wonder why Smith did not get Rookie of the Week last week over Okogie. Especially since his numbers were over the top. He scored 46 points, 11 rebounds (for a PG), and nine assists. Of course, the way he plays D is indefensible.

Team 0-2?

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Background:
I have to admit -- I was as big a critic of the CJP hire as anyone. Pastner had a five solid seasons in Memphis after Calipari left; then they went 18-14 and 19-15. My assumption was that he was riding off the coattails of Calipari's recruiting. Just because you worked under a good coach doesn't mean you'll make a good coach yourself. We learned that with CBG. But I've started to warm up to CJP with the success we've had to start conference play this season.

The Point:
I think other teams in the ACC have more growth potential in their current rosters than we do, so I have to remind myself to temper my expectations for the rest of this season. However, since our conference schedule was so front-loaded, I don't see any reason we couldn't finish around .500 in conference play. I'll say we get to 9 wins, but I say that won't be enough for COY. I think we'll have to make the NCAA tournament and win a game or two. There will inevitably be some program that outperforms expectations and makes a run in the NCAA tournament. That's the kind of thing that gets attention and hype for a coach, and I can't see us doing that this year.

Bottom Line:
If Pastner learned anything about recruiting from Calipari and continues to get the potential out of his players that he has this year, we've got a lot to be excited about for the future of the program. Winning COY would just be icing on the cake and would be another selling point to future recruits to come play for us.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I should read all of the words in a topic before giving my opinion about it. I just realized that this thread was about ACC COY, not the George Munger award.

I think he probably does need at least 9-10 wins to get the award, but, given the expectations, he may not need that many, especially since we've already got a few big wins in the books. However, unless I'm overlooking something, I can only find one coach who has won the award with a losing record in conference -- Cremins in 82-3 with a 4-10 record in conference. Everyone else has been .500 or better.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Someone is seriously talking about 9 ACC wins? THIS year? My goodness. I obviously don't know basketball.

Unrealistic.

We can clip Wake (though it's on the road) and BC. I expect the ND game to be a good one as well as the Pitt game. At this point I'd say 4-6 is the most likely

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Before conference play started, no one was giving us a shot at being 3-2 at this point. 9 wins would actually reflect a regression from our current level of play, and we've arguably already played the toughest stretch of our schedule. I'm predicting 9 wins because I think this team has proven that my/our expectations for them were wrong. 9 wins might be unrealistic, but so is what we've done so far. Maybe what we thought was unrealistic has actually become par for the course.

slugboy

Staff member
Got 13 ACC games left. Would need to win 6 to get to 9 wins. We'll be underdogs in possibly all but BC. I'm not even sure if 9 wins locks in Pastner for COTY because of Notre Dame, but I'd be impressed. On the other hand, he could win it with 6-7.
I can see 4-5 wins in the remaining if I squint really hard. Can also see 3--we've been really lucky.

Deleted member 2897

Before conference play started, no one was giving us a shot at being 3-2 at this point. 9 wins would actually reflect a regression from our current level of play, and we've arguably already played the toughest stretch of our schedule. I'm predicting 9 wins because I think this team has proven that my/our expectations for them were wrong. 9 wins might be unrealistic, but so is what we've done so far. Maybe what we thought was unrealistic has actually become par for the course.

Specifically "we've arguably already played the toughest stretch of our schedule" - okay I'll argue. How about the next stretch @ Virginia Tech, @ Virginia, Florida State, Notre Dame? Those 4 teams are a combined 58-11. And 3 of those 11 are against each other.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Specifically "we've arguably already played the toughest stretch of our schedule" - okay I'll argue. How about the next stretch @ Virginia Tech, @ Virginia, Florida State, Notre Dame? Those 4 teams are a combined 58-11. And 3 of those 11 are against each other.
I join your side of the argument. It will be major upset if we win any of these four. VT is our best chance, but our win in Raleigh has opened the Hokies eyes to what could happen if they are not focused in on us.