Josh Pastner Contract

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Based on a quick read, he's getting $2.6 this season, $2.7 next year and $2.8 in the final year. Buyout if we fire him after this season is $2.4MM. If he stays through 23-24, we pay $2.7MM for the season and buyout would be $1.23MM.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Based on a quick read, he's getting $2.6 this season, $2.7 next year and $2.8 in the final year. Buyout if we fire him after this season is $2.4MM. If he stays through 23-24, we pay $2.7MM for the season and buyout would be $1.23MM.
We may have gone to the donor well so recently that he gets another year just to let the big time fund raising cool off. Things aren't great in the stock market this year either. May need to give it a rest.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If at any time during the Term of this Agreement, Georgia
Tech terminates this Agreement without cause, the Association shall buyout its further
obligations under the Agreement by paying to Head Coach, in equal monthly installments,
all monies due Head Coach according to the schedule below for guaranteed compensation
for the remaining Term of this Agreement under Sections 3.1, 6.2, 7, and 8.1 in exchange
for Head Coach tendering his resignation from Georgia Tech.
CONTRACT YEAR PAYOUT
2021-2022 100%
2022-2023 60%
2023-2024 45% 765k
2024-2025 30% 540k
2025-2026 15% 285k

45% of $1.7m + 30% of 1.8m + 15% of $1.9m = $1.59m
seems reasonable

AND duty to mitigate so there is offset of his earnings during term:
Any termination payment owed to Head
Coach will be offset by fifty percent (50%) of any compensation Head Coach is paid or
contracted to receive from others during the remaining Term of this Agreement.

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been openly critical of Josh over the years but the team seems to have found something the last few weeks which is nice to see. Obviously he still has the locker room, which is a good sign. Personally, I’d like to make a change but i understand that GT isn’t flush with cash at the moment and the Geoff/TStan firing and hiring Key and a staff may have tapped the boosters budget. Now if the NIL funds that are being discussed are actually there come portal season and we can finally land the guys we’ve been in the running for up til the last min, we might have a shot at being a bubble team next year. Now, if Josh is back next season, staff changes are an absolute must!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If I'm being totally honest, I'd rather the donor ponying up $1.59m head out to the transfer portal with NIL money and get us a couple double digit scorers for next season w/ Pastner at the helm. We would be a tournament team with 2 more solid P6 guys (1 of whom is a center), maybe even more if Blue Cain is a stud.

Last edited:

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been openly critical of Josh over the years but the team seems to have found something the last few weeks which is nice to see. Obviously he still has the locker room, which is a good sign. Personally, I’d like to make a change but i understand that GT isn’t flush with cash at the moment and the Geoff/TStan firing and hiring Key and a staff may have tapped the boosters budget. Now if the NIL funds that are being discussed are actually there come portal season and we can finally land the guys we’ve been in the running for up til the last min, we might have a shot at being a bubble team next year. Now, if Josh is back next season, staff changes are an absolute must!
I wonder which assistant was responsible for installing the new offense? He should stay, the other two should go.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he is back next year with the stipulation being that the team is prepared and competitive from game 1. No more terrible starts. There is no reason for it and those games count also.

The guy is two years off an ACC Championship, regardless of the circumstances that don't matter,. GT is getting crushed businesswise by his inability to field a competitive team until the end of the year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That business crushing MAY be what does him in. IF there is money to fund a legit new regime, then the potential for increased attendance with a shiny new name will be a strong attraction

FWIW I have no idea if the major donors are ready to write more checks

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
That business crushing MAY be what does him in. IF there is money to fund a legit new regime, then the potential for increased attendance with a shiny new name will be a strong attraction

FWIW I have no idea if the major donors are ready to write more checks

There is no way he can start yet another season like it is summer practice. It is absurd and incredibly damaging to any attempt to sell tickets or get the students to show up. He has to understand this.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There is no way he can start yet another season like it is summer practice. It is absurd and incredibly damaging to any attempt to sell tickets or get the students to show up. He has to understand this.
Totally agree. I was just putting forward Batt may already believe even a strong start won’t rescue the business side and he needs a new face If he has the financing to execute

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Totally agree. I was just putting forward Batt may already believe even a strong start won’t rescue the business side and he needs a new face If he has the financing to execute
How many additional season tickets could the right realistic name bring in? Around 1000 would offset the payout I believe.

slugboy

Staff member

There’s one regular season game left, and then the tournament. I suppose a disaster in the last two game is possible. I also think he’s back.

I think an AD has to sit down and review the entire season and assess strengths and weaknesses. The entire coaching staff should too. Yes, they say they do it, but this year they need to do it like their careers depend on it. There’s a difference between a yearly review and an “Oh, ****!” yearly review.

I think that review would go worse than we feel about the team now. The off-season prep and coaching was just bad. The team wasn’t ready for the season. We knew we had the wrong offensive scheme and we stuck with it.

We may have a gap in offensive coaching. The dribble-drive seems to be Pastner’s best offense, but he’s just OK at it. Is that fixable in the off-season?

For Batt, we came into this basketball season with little excitement, and we stayed there. I think that there are low-majors that do more to hype the season than we do. We need to generate some interest. We’re really need some marketing—and a billboard over I-75 ain’t marketing.

Boy, does this program need a thorough review.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How many additional season tickets could the right realistic name bring in? Around 1000 would offset the payout I believe.

There is no realistic name that would bring in fans enough to offset it on its own. That is only going to come through success, and given the nature of GT fans, multiple years worth of it.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If at any time during the Term of this Agreement, Georgia
Tech terminates this Agreement without cause, the Association shall buyout its further
obligations under the Agreement by paying to Head Coach, in equal monthly installments,
all monies due Head Coach according to the schedule below for guaranteed compensation
for the remaining Term of this Agreement under Sections 3.1, 6.2, 7, and 8.1 in exchange
for Head Coach tendering his resignation from Georgia Tech.
CONTRACT YEAR PAYOUT
2021-2022 100%
2022-2023 60%
2023-2024 45% 765k
2024-2025 30% 540k
2025-2026 15% 285k

45% of $1.7m + 30% of 1.8m + 15% of $1.9m = $1.59m
seems reasonable

AND duty to mitigate so there is offset of his earnings during term:
Any termination payment owed to Head
Coach will be offset by fifty percent (50%) of any compensation Head Coach is paid or
contracted to receive from others during the remaining Term of this Agreement.
Now I'm completely confused. Your calculations are exactly the same as mine. But persons closer to the program than me posted $2.4 million. As did Ken. What's the correct number?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now I'm completely confused. Your calculations are exactly the same as mine. But persons closer to the program than me posted $2.4 million. As did Ken. What's the correct number?
What's the date of the change in buyout? Is it immediately after our season ends or like April 1?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
maybe we are reading it wrong and the percent refers to the percent of all of his remaining salary due under contract at that time?
So:
2023-2024 45% of (1.7m + 1.8m + $1.9m) = $2.43m

☹️😢😩😭😫😣