Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Really hope Josh stays if he’s projected in the second round. The second round isn’t even a guarantee of a roster spot.

I hope it’s not a situation where he’s just ready to get out of town and will jump w/o being assured of a first round spot.

This stigma is somewhat changing with the NBA's move towards establishing a true minor league system.

2nd rounders aren't guaranteed a roster spot, however, they are more than the throwaway picks they (kinda) were just a few years ago. IOW, if an organization takes you in round 2 it's more likely that you are indeed part of that organization's plans to some degree.

Many organizations now devote time to developing GLeague guys with the thought process that they could be called up to actually contribute. The 2-way contract concept is part of that effort.

Long-story long, as I've been saying for months now, leaving without a round-1 guarantee isn't as egregious a decision as it was even as recently 2 years ago.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But exposure for another year in the ACC is the smart decision right?

Not necessarily. In some cases, more exposure is just more time for scouts to justify their salaries .. i.e. to pick apart your game to the most infinitesimal detail.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone know if there is anything of merit that Kelly Q wrote on his article about having bad vibes about Okogie not coming back? Just deciding whether I should pay the $99 to read it...

Here's a link to the AJC article about this interview that has a few quotes from Josh - link. This is behind the paywall but I'm sure you people are smart enough to figure out a way around it.

The most concerning thing is that when he is asked if he needs to be graded as a 1st rounder in order to leave he basically just says he will have to see how it plays out and discuss with his family. That combined with his "goodbye" note doesn't give me good vibes about his return.

BTW, can we go ahead and edit the thread title now? @GTFLETCH only comes on here to complain about the basketball team and the one time he actually comes with good news it turns into a jinx. SMH.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
This stigma is somewhat changing with the NBA's move towards establishing a true minor league system.

2nd rounders aren't guaranteed a roster spot, however, they are more than the throwaway picks they (kinda) were just a few years ago. IOW, if an organization takes you in round 2 it's more likely that you are indeed part of that organization's plans to some degree.

Many organizations now devote time to developing GLeague guys with the thought process that they could be called up to actually contribute. The 2-way contract concept is part of that effort.

Long-story long, as I've been saying for months now, leaving without a round-1 guarantee isn't as egregious a decision as it was even as recently 2 years ago.

I agree with everything you said, but if he comes back to the Flats and improves into the first round, he sets himself up for a great guaranteed payday, as opposed to bouncing around the G league/NBA for 3 years for way less money.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Part of me feels he might not have a good relationship with Pastner? Thoughts on that?

Just seems so odd to me. He could make tech revelant again next year. He really could.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Josh is young and has time to develop. But at 6'4", I don't believe he's going to be an NBA first round pick in 2018. I'd be surprised if anybody credible would tell him otherwise. Getting expert opinions should help him focus on what he needs to do. A lot will depend on who he listens to and where his heart is.

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
FWIW, ESPN's latest 2-round mock draft doesn't have Okogie going in either round. They have some underclassmen who haven't declared, but not sure how they assumed if certain players would declare or not (could be that they assume Okogie will remove his name)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The only people at this point who know anything are the GMs of the last 5 or so teams in the first round. Until they see Josh at the combine everything else is noise

bos

Helluva Engineer
Josh is young and has time to develop. But at 6'4", I don't believe he's going to be an NBA first round pick in 2018. I'd be surprised if anybody credible would tell him otherwise. Getting expert opinions should help him focus on what he needs to do. A lot will depend on who he listens to and where his heart is.

His 7 foot wingspan gives him enough length to play wing in the NBA. That's a huge defensive potential he has going for him.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point on Josh's wingspan. If he comes back maybe he'll be able to show that his defense is the real deal.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
If he plays one more he has a chance to get into the first round and potentially go in the lottery...I really think he'll be in amazing pro.He's going to "measure" up at the combine and get a lot of attention...enough to get a guarantee???? It may come down to if he's enjoying his time here and if there's a reality to win big next year.Hopefully he chooses to stay and become this young teams leader when they desperately need him too.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW the latest ESPN top 100 prospect rankings for the NBA draft has him at 47. That's by far the highest I've ever seen him listed.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
47 is a late second round pick. Have a hard time thinking that’s a good idea when he could be a first round pick in 2019.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If he's at 47 he should go now. I'll be honest, I had no idea he was even in the ballpark of being that high. Can you post a link?

Here's the link. He jumped from around 90 all the way to 47, I assume once he announced they moved him up the list for this year's draft since they probably thought he would wait another year.