Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
NbaDraft.net has not had Okogie ranked in its mocked draft order till today. He is now all they way up to #39.

Attachments

• 0AE5C6CB-153E-419C-8B0E-6EF654E0D2DC.png
    0AE5C6CB-153E-419C-8B0E-6EF654E0D2DC.png
    457 KB · Views: 79

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
The Ringer has Josh as the 23rd best prospect. I don't consider them to be that much of an authority in pro prospects, but it is a data point as he makes his decision.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
The smart move is probably to stay one more year, but I get the feeling he leaves, even if he’s not projected in the first round. Feels like he’s ready to move on, which is a shame.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The smart move is probably to stay one more year, but I get the feeling he leaves, even if he’s not projected in the first round. Feels like he’s ready to move on, which is a shame.
I remember when Josh participated on the U19 team. While he played one great game (against Angola), IIRC he was underwhelming and was not a starter. He scored 17 points in that game, but only 15 points total in the other six games.

He has some genuine basketball chops, but his game has flaws. He stands out at GT because he is our #1 option on offense. I wonder how well he will perform at the draft combine? Especially when he has to compete with other athletes who are just as skilled and athletic.

His defense might be what gets him over the hump, and I will be happy for him if he stays in the draft and gets drafted. But, that is a risk with huge downsides. As a Tech basketball fan, I hope he stays another year, improves his shooting, learns to use his left hand, and finishes at the basket more consistently. If he does I think he will be a 1st round pick in 2019.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember when Josh participated on the U19 team. While he played one great game (against Angola), IIRC he was underwhelming and was not a starter. He scored 17 points in that game, but only 15 points total in the other six games.

He has some genuine basketball chops, but his game has flaws. He stands out at GT because he is our #1 option on offense. I wonder how well he will perform at the draft combine? Especially when he has to compete with other athletes who are just as skilled and athletic.

His defense might be what gets him over the hump, and I will be happy for him if he stays in the draft and gets drafted. But, that is a risk with huge downsides. As a Tech basketball fan, I hope he stays another year, improves his shooting, learns to use his left hand, and finishes at the basket more consistently. If he does I think he will be a 1st round pick in 2019.
To be fair, have you seen that roster? 4 top 20 kids from the 2018 class, 3 top 20 kids from the 2017 class, and a first team Big Ten guy. I was honestly impressed/proud he made the team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah lottery seems like a stretch especially in a strong draft class like this. I wouldn’t be shocked at all at 1st round though.

I've been saying all along that he'll do great in a workout/combine scenario. I could easily see some over-thinking GM fall in love with him as a 'diamond in the rough' type late 1st rounder.

That doesn't necessarily mean he 'deserves' to be a 1st, but .... like Snoop (the Wire) said, "Deserves got nut'thin ta do wit it."

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
“But in terms of NBA upside, Okogie shines as the superior talent. He is the best 3 + D wing prospect in the draft, and is clearly worth a lottery selection. I expect Okogie to rise up draft boards as he outshines higher rated scrubs such as Chandler Hutchison and Aaron Holiday throughout the draft process.“

https://deanondraft.com/2018/03/22/who-is-the-best-3-d-wing-in-the-draft/
Interesting that he thinks JO is the top 3&D player in the draft, but his D is "mistake prone."

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Everyone saying they’ll be shocked if he’s a first rounder. I’ll be shocked if he’s even playing for us next year. Personally I think he’s pretty much all in on playing professionally. Hope I’m wrong but it’s felt that way since the Ron stuff came out.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everyone saying they’ll be shocked if he’s a first rounder. I’ll be shocked if he’s even playing for us next year. Personally I think he’s pretty much all in on playing professionally. Hope I’m wrong but it’s felt that way since the Ron stuff came out.
I think you are right

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I could make a rational argument for him staying the draft or for returning. If he is still ranked around #48, where he was when I checked this morning, I think he will return to GT. I do not think it's easy to measure the talent difference between players ranks in the middle of the second round and the next 30-40 guys.

2017 NBA draft 2nd round:

#31 Pelicans: Frank Jackson (PG) - Duke (Ranked #37) - missed entire NBA season due to injury
#32 Suns: Davon Reed (SG) - Miami (#44) - played 21 games for Dallas, 11.5 minutes/game, 3.0 ppg
#33 Magic: Wesley Iwundu (SF) - Kansas State (#40) - 3.7 ppg for Orlando
#34 Kings: Frank Mason III (PG) - Kansas (#45) - 7.9 ppg as backup PG for Sacremento
#35 Grizzlies: Ivan Rabb (PF) - California (#29) - 5.6 ppg as backup for Memphis
#36 76ers: Jonah Bolden (PF) - Australia (#31) - played professionally in Israel
#37 Celtics: Semi Ojeleye (SF) - SMU (#30) 2.7 ppg as backup for Boston
#38 Warriors: Jordan Bell (C) - Oregon (#36) - 4.6 ppg in mostly backup role for GS
#39 Clippers: Jawun Evans (PG) - OSU (#38) - 4.8 ppg as backup for LA
#40 Hornets: Dwayne Bacon (SF) - FSU (#48) - 3.3 ppg as backup for Charlotte
#41 Hawks: Tyler Dorsey (SG) - Oregon (#47) - 7.2 ppg as backup for Atlanta
#42 Lakers: Thomas Bryant (C) - Indiana (#54) - 1.5 ppg as rarely used backup for LA
#43 Rockets: Isaiah Hartenstein (C) - Lithuania (#26) - played in G league
#44 Knicks: Damyean Dotson (SG) - Oregon (Unranked) - 4.1 ppg as backup for NY
#45 Rockets: Dillon Brooks (SF) - Oregon (Unranked) - 11.0 ppg as starter for Memphis
#46 Bucks: Sterling Brown (SG) - SMU (#43) - 4.0 ppg as backup for Milwaukee
#47 Pacers: Ike Anigbogu (C) - UCLA (#27) - 1.2 ppg as rarely used backup for Indiana
#48 Clippers: Sindarius Thornwell (SG) - South Carolina (Unranked) - 3.9 ppg as backup for LA Clippers
#49 Nuggets: Vlatko Cancar (SF) - Slovenia (#53) - played professionally in Europe
# 50 76ers: Mathias Lessort (PF) - France (#35) - played professionally in Europe
# 51 Nuggets: Monte' Morris (PG) - Iowa State (#50) - played in G league
# 52 Pacers: Edmond Sumner (PG) - Xavier (#42) - played in G league
# 53 Celtics: Kadeem Allen (SG) - Arizona (Unranked) - 1.1 ppg as rarely used backup for Boston
#54 Suns: Alec Peters (PF) - Valparaiso (#39) - 4.1 ppg as rarely used backup for Phoenix
#55 Jazz: Nigel Williams-Goss (PG) - Gonzaga (#60)- played professionally in Europe
#56 Celtics: Jabari Bird (SG) - California (Unranked) - 3.0 ppg as rarely used backup for Boston
#57 Nets: Aleksandar Vezenkov (PF) - Spain (#55) - played professionally in Europe
#58 Knicks: Ognjen Jaramaz (PG) - Serbia (Unranked) - played professionally in Europe
#59 Spurs: Jaron Blossomgame (SF) - Clemson (#59) - played in G league
#60 Hawks: Alpha Kaba (PF) - France (#46)- played professionally in Europe

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So from an NBA draftability perspective only, what's JO's upside in coming back next year? I know it's easy to scoff at the lack of a contract guarantee as a 2nd round pick, but outside of that guarantee there's not a lot of long-term success in the back end of the 1st round either.

Sure, he could go lottery pick next year. Odds? < 5% imo.

I'm thinking JO's best case scenario realistically in the 2019 draft is back end of the first round. Our roster next year isn't going to do him a ton of favors. We have a competitive NIT team coming back in terms of raw talent. We might be better - I expect us to be - but that's no guarantee. And it doesn't guarantee anything about JO's individual continued improvement.

There is a downside to going into the draft process and returning to school. That is, there is a perception that your game gets picked apart and you've garnered a reputation in NBA circles that is difficult to influence. Sometimes the "unknown/potential" is better than the "proven".

Also I'd be surprised if he doesn't know which agent he'll go with, if he decides to go, at this juncture.

If he goes, worst case he falls back on G-League or Euro and starts making money. In other words, he's guaranteed to make money, just not the first-3 years NBA kind of money.

All that said, I hope he values NBA 1st round guarantee more than the counter-points above.