Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Okogie had the lowest shooting percentage on the U-19 team he played with last summer. His FG shooting percentage this past year at GT was an unimpressive 41.6%. His handle is not that great by NBA standards. I don't see how he is a first rounder at all, and second is doubtful.

I'm glad he declared for the draft though. Good publicity for the program, and if he comes back--and I believe he will--he will work that much harder to be draft ready after next year.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally don't get it. He is a sophomore who is the same age as a freshman, so another year in college would help his development immensely. He doesn't have any one skill that he specializes in that he can hang his hat on which might get him a first-round selection. For example, Shumpert was not a polished player when he came out, but he could hang his hat as a lockdown defender. Unless Josh gets a first-round grade, there is no point in staying in the draft because only first-rounders get a guaranteed rookie contract. The G league would be a waste of time for him with his intelligence and youth. I am fully confident he will be a pro at some level down the road with his game and athleticism, he just needs to let his skills develop. One thing I do not know, what his relationship with Pastner is since Gregory recruited him,
That brings me to something else. This could just be my fuzzy memory, but when Shumpert was in college, wasn't he much more of a scorer? I seem to remember him being a strong scorer that could also play some D. In the NBA, it seems that his game is much different.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know who or what person put an idea like this in his mind that he (Josh) was a first round pick. I mean are you serious? No handle, poor shooting, and combined with the poor year He had is more than enough reasons for Him to return. I mean are you serious Josh?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Repost..... this is feedback I got from a friend in an NBA scouting role

He doesn’t believe josh would go first round this year and should stay. Believes he must improve handle (especially left hand), on ball D and jumper He thinks he is likely a late first round or early second round pick in 19 or 20 if he continues to improve

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
doubtful, a pretty braindead move on his part but guess there wasn't much to come back to. He needed to preserve that option for next year .... if he hires an agent this year he'll likely be playin in china,turkey,nigeria, or other third world country.he won't get drafted. we'll likely get him back but he used up a lot of goodwill so i hope it doesn't hurt him next year.
Not a ‘braindead’ move AT ALL. Would be braindead NOT to declare so he can at least get his talent level evaluated by a number of NBA scouts. I suspect JO withdraws from draft by the May 30th deadline and returns. But not to take advantage of the opportunity to gather the data on himself would be senseless. I don’t understand the ‘loss of goidwill’ comment and it makes no real sense in my opinion. All in all though, I think he come back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not a ‘braindead’ move AT ALL. Would be braindead NOT to declare so he can at least get his talent level evaluated by a number of NBA scouts. I suspect JO withdraws from draft by the May 30th deadline and returns. But not to take advantage of the opportunity to gather the data on himself would be senseless. I don’t understand the ‘loss of goidwill’ comment and it makes no real sense in my opinion. All in all though, I think he come back.

I think many people aren't aware of the actual circumstances with 'testing the process' and that's why they're so negative with this.

The process is really different from when the 1 and done thing first reemerged onto the scene.

As you said, it would almost be negligent on his part to not go through the process this year.

GT_EE78

Banned
point is really that since one can only do these workouts (without an agent) once, i think he should have preserved his option for next year when his chances are much better to get that guaranteed first round contract. I just think he's wasting this option by using it now . (unless of course he's already decided that he wants money now and is willing to go overseas if necessary, but i hope thats not the case.His post wasn't clear but sounded ominous)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
point is really that since one can only do these workouts (without an agent) once, i think he should have preserved his option for next year when his chances are much better to get that guaranteed first round contract. I just think he's wasting this option by using it now . (unless of course he's already decided that he wants money now and is willing to go overseas if necessary, but i hope thats not the case.His post wasn't clear but sounded ominous)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ule-giving-them-more-time-to-test-waters/amp/

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
From the article referenced above:

"The little process I had as far as testing the waters came because I really didn't want to leave Maryland because Maryland is such a great place with great people and they accepted me when I transferred in from Georgia Tech," Maryland forward Robert Carter, a 5-on-5 standout on Thursday, said. "But when I decided to go ahead and get an agent, I just felt like it was time for me. I felt like my game translates really well to the NBA. I'm able to come out here, do what I love, and I felt like I could learn even more by going to the NBA. In terms of developing my career and starting my career as early as possible. So I decided to leave, choose an agent. I talked to a couple of agents, chose the one I thought was best for me, then made that decision. I prayed on it -- I'm a God-fearing person -- and I felt like it was the right decision for me."

Sounds more like a cautionary tale than an endorsement of the process.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
That brings me to something else. This could just be my fuzzy memory, but when Shumpert was in college, wasn't he much more of a scorer? I seem to remember him being a strong scorer that could also play some D. In the NBA, it seems that his game is much different.
Yes and Shumpert was a primary ball handler as well. Somehow when he got drafted NBA scouts, in their infinite wisdom, convinced themselves or had been convinced that he could play PG. That experiment did not last very long. Shumpert's issue in the league is that his jumper is not consistent enough and much like his game while he was at Tech he's not a good decision maker with the ball either when he drives.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes and Shumpert was a primary ball handler as well. Somehow when he got drafted NBA scouts, in their infinite wisdom, convinced themselves or had been convinced that he could play PG. That experiment did not last very long. Shumpert's issue in the league is that his jumper is not consistent enough and much like his game while he was at Tech he's not a good decision maker with the ball either when he drives.

Man, I'm team Shumpert because he's a GT guy....

...but I've always been surprised he's had this long of a career. Good for him. He's not a great shooter, isn't a facilitator in a PG sense, not a great rebounder. His defense is above average, but there are a lot of players who are good defenders that are also bigger offensive threats.

I'm not hating...just surprising that the type of production he's had in the NBA has led to almost a decade in the NBA.

GT_EE78

Banned
Man, I'm team Shumpert because he's a GT guy....

...but I've always been surprised he's had this long of a career. Good for him. He's not a great shooter, isn't a facilitator in a PG sense, not a great rebounder. His defense is above average, but there are a lot of players who are good defenders that are also bigger offensive threats.

I'm not hating...just surprising that the type of production he's had in the NBA has led to almost a decade in the NBA.
am surprised too, just goes to show what a little defense and versatility can do, didnt he lead tech in scoring,rebounding,asst and steals one year?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not surprised his career has been this long. He is a piece that fits in the 7/8 slot on the roster very nicely. Above average D, above average energy and good not starter level offense. Long as he is willing to work in a 7M +/- salary range he will stay in the league another contract - 3 or so years. That would put him around $75M in earnings. Not a bad career by any stretch.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know if there is anything of merit that Kelly Q wrote on his article about having bad vibes about Okogie not coming back? Just deciding whether I should pay the $99 to read it...

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone know if there is anything of merit that Kelly Q wrote on his article about having bad vibes about Okogie not coming back? Just deciding whether I should pay the $99 to read it...
True or false, stay or go, it'll happen whether or not you pay $99

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I don't subscribe and I doubt he has any real insights on the matter. Seems his predictions don't have a great track record, anyway. I mean, "vibes"? That's pretty weak sauce stuff for someone pretending to be a journalist.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow

There's a $9.99 option if you're interested in reading what he has to say.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...rs-assess-josh-okogie/wYIwFNPwUzVayvyoOmjDnK/

Basics of the article, talked to Jonathan Givony (Draftexpress) and 2 anonymous NBA Scouts.
General consensus is that they don't see him as an NBA First rounder this year, but believe he will get an invite to the combine.

"He would need to have a really strong NBA pre-draft process, including a great showing at the NBA Combine,” Givony wrote in an e-mail.

One scout said that scouts noticed him after his performance against Duke
“He got some buzz after that,”
He liked that Okogie is “ultracompetitive, which is what really gets people to pay attention.” That said, he didn’t think that Okogie was a first-round pick at this point.
What Okogie will have to do in workouts, the scout said, is demonstrate an ability to create and make shots on his own, defend on the perimeter and hit 3-pointers from the corner.
The scout saw Okogie as a “3 and D guy,”
“You’ve got to show you can guard, you’ve got to show me you can create some offense when the shot clock’s winding down,”

A second NBA talent evaluator saw him “more as a second rounder.”
“He’s not an elite athlete but is athletic,” he wrote in an e-mail. “He’s not a good shooter but can make shots. He’s not a great defender but he’s above average. He’s a 3&D player at the end of the day, but there isn’t necessarily one thing that stands out about him other than how hard he plays.”

I think his ballhandling is going to be the biggest hang up for Josh. He is an avg ballhandler at best. Doesn't really use his left hand and doesn't have a move to create separation - he either uses screens, cuts or just uses strength to get into the lane without any real separation.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Really hope Josh stays if he’s projected in the second round. The second round isn’t even a guarantee of a roster spot.

I hope it’s not a situation where he’s just ready to get out of town and will jump w/o being assured of a first round spot.