Jose

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point last year I thought Moses might get a deal, but Jose would in grad school somewhere. I am apparently not a good judge of the talent required for the NBA.
Exactly and there’s not a person on this board that thought Moses would develop into a potential NBA player.

The same can be said of Jose. While he was a gritty player, fan favorite, with a lions heart, no one thought he was crack an NBA roster. Not even Root4GT with his innate ability to know how a kid will develop based on his Freshman year.

This is precisely why I keep telling everyone to pump the breaks on the doom-n-gloom. This staff is focused on development and they’re good at it. We have a solid core to build from, let’s allow that to happen.

ETA: So happy for Jose. He MADE it happen!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Exactly and there’s not a person on this board that thought Moses would develop into a potential NBA player.

The same can be said of Jose. While he was a gritty player, fan favorite, with a lions heart, no one thought he was crack an NBA roster. Not even Root4GT with his innate ability to know how a kid will develop based on his Freshman year.

This is precisely why I keep telling everyone to pump the breaks on the doom-n-gloom. This staff is focused on development and they’re good at it. We have a solid core to build from, let’s allow that to happen.

Question.

Player development approaches are usually thought of as the opposite of the star system. I know it doesn’t have to be either/or but hear me out.

Bobby Cremens definitely focused on the star system which eventually led to the “one and done” becoming a thing in many programs. Here are the questions: If you focus more on a development approach does that require your “stars” to sublimate their ability in order to get developing players more actively involved in the game? And could this conceivably cost you a few games in the short run in favor of more sustainable success in the long run?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Question.

Player development approaches are usually thought of as the opposite of the star system. I know it doesn’t have to be either/or but hear me out.

Bobby Cremens definitely focused on the star system which eventually led to the “one and done” becoming a thing in many programs. Here are the questions: If you focus more on a development approach does that require your “stars” to sublimate their ability in order to get developing players more actively involved in the game? And could this conceivably cost you a few games in the short run in favor of more sustainable success in the long run?

Baseball is so much easier to spread playing time and development around since there are so many more playing opportunities. Yet there too, there is the grey area of developing a player to make the next league at the immediate expense of the team.

Really ambiguous and unanswerable, unless a foundering high talent player is left in too long. I don't think Pastner is guilty of that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
. Here are the questions: If you focus more on a development approach does that require your “stars” to sublimate their ability in order to get developing players more actively involved in the game? And could this conceivably cost you a few games in the short run in favor of more sustainable success in the long run?

In an ideal world you have a level of team that can somewhat consistently build 15+ point leads where you can get the back ups in and experience. Usually in that situation most "stars" shouldn't have much issue with coming out and it isn't going to cost you games. It's a bit of a cycle where already good teams have more opportunities to play back ups to get them ready so those teams are better prepared to handle loss of players (draft or graduation) and so have more consistency. That consistency brings in more talent willing to wait a bit because they know they will play some and be a part of good teams.

Basically, winning makes winning more easier. Breaking into that cycle can be tough as we saw last year where while we went on a great run, we weren't able to get Sturdy/Howard the minutes we probably would have liked to in order to prepare them. But you don't sacrifice winning just to get playing time, although I think from a roster building perspective it sometimes is better to go after slightly lower talent if you can get them to have an impact for 3 or 4 years compared to say a one and done.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

If you are comparing any of our freshmen to Jose's freshmen year and think any of them hold a candle to his performance you are drinking fools gold at best. Jose was a very good player his freshmen year and developed into a great player. Really happy for him. His desire and drive are rare and great traits!

You are correct that no one would predicted Moses would become the ACC Player of the Year. Hats off to him, CJP and the BB staff. If you think that type of development will be a regular occurrence you are again drinking fools gold! Once in a generation development at best!

Now what do you see in the returning players than makes you think they will improve so dramatically that they will no longer be a last place team in the ACC? Toss in no incoming freshmen and add a dash of hope in the Transfer Portal and things look bleak at best. Name a CJP Transfer who instantly mad a major impact. I would say Banks immediately and Usher by mid-late February so that's not immediate but the second best in my opinion.

I will be surprised if we don't have 2 or more guys transfer out after this season. I hope not but I believe the odds are high.

FEWrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
I think I read somewhere that he has the best +/- of any rookies in the league this year
I read the same article recently before his first career double double against Rockets. But cannot retrieve with Google search.
Herewith the most updated on Jose among the Pelicans. He becomes a very likeable player in NBA.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
960E0426-A8C5-476B-B68D-B65D3C5F82EE.jpeg