Jose

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of this **** is straight blooper reel material for the opposing players. It kinda needs the Benny Hill theme song.
I don't understand how after all this time opposing players don't understand to make sure that the ball handler knows that Jose is behind them

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Pelican fans are going to be pissed when they run Alvarado out of games and have to send him to the G League while they’re trying to hang onto a playoff spot.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Pelican fans are going to be pissed when they run Alvarado out of games and have to send him to the G League while they’re trying to hang onto a playoff spot.
Haven’t they already signed him to a contract and basically said he is staying? Besides, he has been outplaying the starter most nights (including last night). I don’t think he is going anywhere. To me, watching Alvarado might be the best thing in the NBA right now!

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Haven’t they already signed him to a contract and basically said he is staying? Besides, he has been outplaying the starter most nights (including last night). I don’t think he is going anywhere. To me, watching Alvarado might be the best thing in the NBA right now!
He's still on the 2 way contract though it's not to late to make it an NBA contract because if they don't he'll be a free agent at the end of the season. If they have some sense they'll sign Jose to a NBA contract for multiple years(it can be up to 4 years). The qualifying offer if he makes it to free agency is 1.5 million.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Happy for him. His decision to stay last year helped him develop into a pro. He just needed a chance to show what he could do. We have missed his defense this year. He always seemed to get steals every game. Has kept it up in the pros. He comes to play every game.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ve never - and this is a real never - had interest in NBA. I just don’t like the “no defense”, “athlete out athlete”, frankly kinda YMCA ball with better players aspect. I’ve always been a college basketball purist based o team defense and the sense of it being a game ONE guy can’t go dominate and win.

Then The Warriors showed up in the nba and Curry and team played a style of basketball I could recognize as team sport not just one:eek:ne matchups and I rejected joining a bandwagon team.

Jose though - has got me following nba for the first time in a long time. I hate the saints because I grew up in ATL; but I figure we don’t have history with the pelicans and my guy is taking care of business.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never - and this is a real never - had interest in NBA. I just don’t like the “no defense”, “athlete out athlete”, frankly kinda YMCA ball with better players aspect. I’ve always been a college basketball purist based o team defense and the sense of it being a game ONE guy can’t go dominate and win.

Then The Warriors showed up in the nba and Curry and team played a style of basketball I could recognize as team sport not just one:eek:ne matchups and I rejected joining a bandwagon team.

Jose though - has got me following nba for the first time in a long time. I hate the saints because I grew up in ATL; but I figure we don’t have history with the pelicans and my guy is taking care of business.
I despise the nba. Haven’t watched or went to a game in years. Until last week. Jose and the pelicans played the Pistons here in Detroit. I took my 7 yo son with me. There was no way we were missing a chance to see Jose play live! Unfortunately the security wouldn’t let us down near the bench but he did see my GT hoodie and pointed at me in acknowledgment. This kid is something special. There’s so much marketing and advertising potential in him if he keeps progressing the way he is.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
There is no limit on games this year for players on 2 way contracts.
I haven't seen that, though it's not a pastime of mine to check the ins/outs of minor league b-ball ;).

I know they had switched from 45-day pro-rated ($90k base salary plus per-game-played bonus) to a 50-day 1/2 league-minimum salary (so Jose gets paid $462k no matter how many games he is active on NBA team). The 2-way players now get to stay with the team and practice even if not active for a game or two, unlike "the old days" where they had to return to G-league.

Jose has been active for 26 games, so has 24 left to remain active with 29 games remaining on the schedule. They can likely manage his schedule to go through the end of the regular season if they want to. Again, I may have missed something about the limit - not much info addition after around November on how 2-way contracts work.

In 2020/21, 2-way players were eligible for the playoffs due to Covid, but it appears that option was dropped for this year based on a quick research. So, for Jose to be in the playoffs, he'll need to be signed to a full active contract. The team has "until the end of the regular season" to make this happen. Looking at others, that is usually a 2-year contract with one year guaranteed and the second as a team option. It's hard to tell if the first year is this year (appears to be the case) or begins next year. Of course, the contract can be longer depending on how his agent wheels and deals. If he does get signed, it looks like he would basically be getting a minimum $0.5M bonus to be in the playoffs. Since he has played much of the year, I believe his contract would actually be higher than league minimum, so an even bigger bonus.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this is good news for Jose. Pelicans trade for McCollum

From the article - Satoransky lost the Pelicans' backup point guard spot to two-way guard Jose Alvarado and has played in just one game since returning from health and safety protocols last month.

Satoransky was part of the trade. I hope this means the Pelicans are clearing room for Jose to be the backup PG going forward.