Jose out until 12/31

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Redshirt rules for college basketball

Redshirt Rules
For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.

Redshirted athletes are allowed to travel, practice and even dress for competition for their team during their redshirt season, but the minute they step on the playing field, they lose their redshirt status and use a season of eligibility.

Medical Hardship Exemption
The NCAA allows a seriously injured athlete to extend her eligibility period through a medical hardship exemption, commonly referred to by media outlets "medical redshirt", though the NCAA does not use this terminology.

An athlete can qualify for this exemption if she has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of her teams scheduled contests, whichever number is greater.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Thx for sharing the basketball redshirt rules. They are not as lenient as those in football (ability to play up of 4 of the 12 regular season games).

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
7 or possibly 8 games without him. We need to go 5-2 in those games. If so we would be 8-4 (9-4 or 8-5 is also possible depending on the tournament) going into ACC play. Not a great record OOC if we want any shot at post season play. We would need to go 11-9 or 12-8 in ACC play, which would be difficult. This stretch will make or break our post season chances (ignoring our NCAA BS sanctions) Disappointing for sure. I thought we had a chance to win 19-20 games this year, and we still do, but we need this team to get into form in January and string together some wins

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be really surprised if
7 or possibly 8 games without him. We need to go 5-2 in those games. If so we would be 8-4 (9-4 or 8-5 is also possible depending on the tournament) going into ACC play. Not a great record OOC if we want any shot at post season play. We would need to go 11-9 or 12-8 in ACC play, which would be difficult. This stretch will make or break our post season chances (ignoring our NCAA BS sanctions) Disappointing for sure. I thought we had a chance to win 19-20 games this year, and we still do, but we need this team to get into form in January and string together some wins

I hope you are wrong but I am afraid you are right

Deleted member 2897

This injury to Jose may cost us post season play. It is so hard to split wins and losses in the ACC. I hope he can come back 100%. We need a good year in basketball after our disappointing FB season.

ToddS (whom I happen to really really like) to me is also loyal almost to a fault. He had every reason to fire Danny Hall a year ago. 2 years ago he sat down with CDH and asked what the plan was and what he needed. CDH basically said they were going to try harder. I'm obviously paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. But thankfully we had an amazing year last year.

My point is that CJP is banking post season and his job on trying to win 10+ ACC games and that's pretty much it. He's hoping that if we finish something like 17-14, but we played great basketball with Usher and Alvarado, that committees will overlook our record and higher RPI and will let us in. Maybe he's right, but I don't know. Volleyball just went 14-1 the back half of the season, finished 2nd in the ACC, and their only loss was on the road in the 5th set 15-13 to a top ranked 26-1 Pittsburgh team...and they didn't make the top 64 for the post season. Ridiculously stupid.

He's probably also hoping that will show enough to keep his job, and he's probably right. We have a good recruiting class coming in next year, including a high level replacement for the main player we're losing in Banks.

Its just really ****ty and depressing how it seems with football, basketball, and baseball we seem to struggle with major injuries more often than not.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
ToddS (whom I happen to really really like) to me is also loyal almost to a fault. He had every reason to fire Danny Hall a year ago. 2 years ago he sat down with CDH and asked what the plan was and what he needed. CDH basically said they were going to try harder. I'm obviously paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. But thankfully we had an amazing year last year.

My point is that CJP is banking post season and his job on trying to win 10+ ACC games and that's pretty much it. He's hoping that if we finish something like 17-14, but we played great basketball with Usher and Alvarado, that committees will overlook our record and higher RPI and will let us in. Maybe he's right, but I don't know. Volleyball just went 14-1 the back half of the season, finished 2nd in the ACC, and their only loss was on the road in the 5th set 15-13 to a top ranked 26-1 Pittsburgh team...and they didn't make the top 64 for the post season. Ridiculously stupid.

He's probably also hoping that will show enough to keep his job, and he's probably right. We have a good recruiting class coming in next year, including a high level replacement for the main player we're losing in Banks.

Its just really ****ty and depressing how it seems with football, basketball, and baseball we seem to struggle with major injuries more often than not.

By most accounts/analysis of his contract, CJP isn't coaching for his job specifically this year. Likely has 2 years given the way the contract is structured and our current financial situation/commitment to football/looking for ACCN revenue. He is coaching for results to show next year's recruiting class that we are a tourney level team. That is a large class that at minimum has to have an immediate ACC level replacement for Jose and likely at least one other difference maker.

The basketball committee overtly dropped the last 10 games criteria for determining who gets into the tourney. So it is a body of work decision and these games in the OOC matter greatly. Though we can make it up by simply going over .500 in the ACC. Something I think we have done maybe twice since Bobby went back to Charleston. Tough road to hoe if we don't find a way to make noise here without Jose.

I don't want to denigrate our recruiting class, but I don't think Meka is a replacement for Banks next year. All the reports I have read - and to be clear I haven't seen the kid myself - is that he is very athletic, has a high motor but is raw in terms of both offensive skills and defensive acumen. Probably sophomore year before he makes a real impact (my opinion based on what I read). Very legit player when he gets old but not immediate impact. Next year is more Moses and Cole in the lane with an older and hopefully better set of wing players to make up the slack.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By most accounts/analysis of his contract, CJP isn't coaching for his job specifically this year. Likely has 2 years given the way the contract is structured and our current financial situation/commitment to football/looking for ACCN revenue. He is coaching for results to show next year's recruiting class that we are a tourney level team. That is a large class that at minimum has to have an immediate ACC level replacement for Jose and likely at least one other difference maker.

The basketball committee overtly dropped the last 10 games criteria for determining who gets into the tourney. So it is a body of work decision and these games in the OOC matter greatly. Though we can make it up by simply going over .500 in the ACC. Something I think we have done maybe twice since Bobby went back to Charleston. Tough road to hoe if we don't find a way to make noise here without Jose.

I don't want to denigrate our recruiting class, but I don't think Meka is a replacement for Banks next year. All the reports I have read - and to be clear I haven't seen the kid myself - is that he is very athletic, has a high motor but is raw in terms of both offensive skills and defensive acumen. Probably sophomore year before he makes a real impact (my opinion based on what I read). Very legit player when he gets old but not immediate impact. Next year is more Moses and Cole in the lane with an older and hopefully better set of wing players to make up the slack.

I don’t think he was referring to Meka as the capable replacement. Saba Gigiberia was a composite 4 Star ranked in the Top 150. My assumption is that’s who he was referring too.

Deleted member 2897

I don’t think he was referring to Meka as the capable replacement. Saba Gigiberia was a composite 4 Star ranked in the Top 150. My assumption is that’s who he was referring too.

Correct. And even then I didn’t mean a perfect equal on day 1. It’s just we’re returning almost everyone, which is a huge plus. And we’ve got about the best big man replacement we could have hoped for in the 1 real position of loss.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
my bad. Don't know/read nearly as much about him.
Hope he is strong enough to come in and make a difference. I view him like Lammers but could be way wrong.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It sucks to lose Jose for so long but the two games we've lost have been by a combined 5 points to P5 teams. Yes the UGA game wasn't as close as the final score but until 5 minutes left in the first quarter it was an even game. UGA largely built their lead over the next 5 minutes. The second half was pretty even most of the way. They would go on a run, then we would go on a run and that continued pretty much the entire way. We were down 8 at half, 9 at 17:35, 10 at 5:12, 9 at 2:20 (even before our flurry at the end). The point is that the UGA game was largely decided in one 5 minute stretch, and otherwise it was pretty even game before and after that stretch.

Our schedule going forward is

Nebraska
Cuse
@Kentucky
Ball State
Boise @ Hawaii
Houston/Portland
Probably Washington if we win the last 2

With the exception of @Kentucky and possibly Washington we should have a good chance to win the rest of those games even without Jose imo. One thing to note about Washington is that 2 of their top 3 scorers are freshmen and they don't seem to be an overly good 3 point shooting team (30% as a team) with only one real threat by the looks of it. Matchup wise I could see that being a good matchup for us with Banks altering shots inside and our zone defense making them settle more than they would like.

Now, without Jose we're also fully capable of losing several of those games as well so there is still some concern but I think it's a very real possibility that we could be 8-4 or even 9-3 and 2-0 in conference play when Jose gets back. That's not a bad place to be especially since we play a fairly challenging schedule. To put it in perspective, our current RPI is 65th while UGA's is 94th. Obviously early season RPI should be taken with more than a grain of salt but considering only Ball state would be considered a bad team (where just playing them probably hurts) at the moment, our RPI would probably be pretty good if we were 8-4 going into the FSU game.

Basically the season is far from over, and even considering Jose being out, we have a pretty good chance, imo, to start conference play at a decent spot.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with YI Jacket. I don't think Pastner is coaching for his job right now. He will have at a minimum through year 5.
If he was fired after year 4 he would be owed 100% of his remaining contract. GT isn't likely to do that.
What the NCAA did to us also makes it more likely that he stays at least through year 5. GT is going to have a really tough time attracting any coach with the recruiting restrictions the NCAA put on us.
Finally, GT spent all its money on the FB program and will need at least a couple of years to replenish the funds before it can make another major coaching move.

I would be shocked if Pastner is gone before year 5 and frankly it would not surprise me if he makes it to year 6 given the various circumstances surrounding the program right now.

As was also mentioned I think alot of this year is about showing a level of improvement that will make it easier to recruit for the 2021 class. We will likely have 4 schollies to give in that class and getting at least 2 high level players is really needed. If this looks like a NCAA quality club at the end of the season - regardless of whether they won enough games to get there for the whole season and whether the NCAA allows GT to play in the postseason (which I give a low probability to), it will make it easier to say the program is on the right track and attract recruits.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It sucks to lose Jose for so long but the two games we've lost have been by a combined 5 points to P5 teams. Yes the UGA game wasn't as close as the final score but until 5 minutes left in the first quarter it was an even game. UGA largely built their lead over the next 5 minutes. The second half was pretty even most of the way. They would go on a run, then we would go on a run and that continued pretty much the entire way. We were down 8 at half, 9 at 17:35, 10 at 5:12, 9 at 2:20 (even before our flurry at the end). The point is that the UGA game was largely decided in one 5 minute stretch, and otherwise it was pretty even game before and after that stretch.

Our schedule going forward is

Nebraska
Cuse
@Kentucky
Ball State
Boise @ Hawaii
Houston/Portland
Probably Washington if we win the last 2

With the exception of @Kentucky and possibly Washington we should have a good chance to win the rest of those games even without Jose imo. One thing to note about Washington is that 2 of their top 3 scorers are freshmen and they don't seem to be an overly good 3 point shooting team (30% as a team) with only one real threat by the looks of it. Matchup wise I could see that being a good matchup for us with Banks altering shots inside and our zone defense making them settle more than they would like.

Now, without Jose we're also fully capable of losing several of those games as well so there is still some concern but I think it's a very real possibility that we could be 8-4 or even 9-3 and 2-0 in conference play when Jose gets back. That's not a bad place to be especially since we play a fairly challenging schedule. To put it in perspective, our current RPI is 65th while UGA's is 94th. Obviously early season RPI should be taken with more than a grain of salt but considering only Ball state would be considered a bad team (where just playing them probably hurts) at the moment, our RPI would probably be pretty good if we were 8-4 going into the FSU game.

Basically the season is far from over, and even considering Jose being out, we have a pretty good chance, imo, to start conference play at a decent spot.

To add to that, I don't think that the conference is as daunting this year as it has been in years past. Once we get Jose healthy, Usher active, and everyone in their roles, I could see us gelling and going on a roll.

Considering our conference record over the last 25+ years, I do understand why everyone is skeptical that we perform better in conference than out, but there's only a couple of ACC games in which I feel like we would have to get lucky to have a shot.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
To add to that, I don't think that the conference is as daunting this year as it has been in years past. Once we get Jose healthy, Usher active, and everyone in their roles, I could see us gelling and going on a roll.

That said, I do understand why everyone is skeptical that we perform better in conference than out, but there's only a couple of ACC games in which I feel like we would have to get lucky to have a shot.

Agreed. Pitt, Clemson, BC, Wake, Miami (regardless of the Illinois game) and Syracuse are all very bad to not good. Notre Dame cant shoot and NC State just struggles despite looking great on paper. I also think Virginia Tech will continually fade throughout the season.

If Jose gets healthy (which is a huge if given his history) and Usher is who we think he should be, we have a real shot at getting up to 6-7th in the league. We just need to remain focused on the court and make good decisions. We currently rank in the top 5 in the nation in EFG% defense and 2pt% defense, and top 40 in adjusted defensive efficiency.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agreed. Pitt, Clemson, BC, Wake, Miami (regardless of the Illinois game) and Syracuse are all very bad to not good. Notre Dame cant shoot and NC State just struggles despite looking great on paper. I also think Virginia Tech will continually fade throughout the season.

If Jose gets healthy (which is a huge if given his history) and Usher is who we think he should be, we have a real shot at getting up to 6-7th in the league. We just need to remain focused on the court and make good decisions. We currently rank in the top 5 in the nation in EFG% defense and 2pt% defense, and top 40 in adjusted defensive efficiency.

We're on the same page...From my vantage point, it is the little things. Offensive focus (i.e. limit turnovers), free-throw shooting, and effort.

The good news is that those are things that are controllable and can be improved in practice. We're not too far off from going on a run.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No question we need to improve on a lot of the little things you mention - especially turnovers and FTs. But we also have an issue with scoring we need to solve with the current group. Item 1 is DeVoe will not be able to simply go 1 on 5 down the stretch like he did against BC going forward - especially in the ACC (even the low end ACC). We are a defensive team first - and no problem with that - but we will have to get a much better offensive flow to our game or it will bite us. That means either Bubba or Moore simply pick up their game or we go to a revised scheme that gets us easier shots. Something has to change/improve while Jose is gone or we will stumble.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No question we need to improve on a lot of the little things you mention - especially turnovers and FTs. But we also have an issue with scoring we need to solve with the current group. Item 1 is DeVoe will not be able to simply go 1 on 5 down the stretch like he did against BC going forward - especially in the ACC (even the low end ACC). We are a defensive team first - and no problem with that - but we will have to get a much better offensive flow to our game or it will bite us. That means either Bubba or Moore simply pick up their game or we go to a revised scheme that gets us easier shots. Something has to change/improve while Jose is gone or we will stumble.

Hit free-throws and reduce turnovers, and our offensive numbers looks a lot better. It wouldn't hurt if Khalid and Asanti make a few outside shots either.

I know that you keep a keen eye on the offense, but aside from the occasional spacing issues, I'm okay playing through banks and using high pick-n-roll actions.

In other words, I think that our offensive philosophy is fine, we just need to do a better job with effort (i.e cutting) and execution.