Jose out until 12/31

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Paster is just an unlucky coach. It feels like we're going to be in the 15-20 win range which keeps you sitting at home most post-seasons.

At this point, I just hope he continues to recruit pretty well so that there's a good foundation if we do move on in 2 or 3 years. That alone would be huge progress over the last few transitions.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
No question we need to improve on a lot of the little things you mention - especially turnovers and FTs. But we also have an issue with scoring we need to solve with the current group. Item 1 is DeVoe will not be able to simply go 1 on 5 down the stretch like he did against BC going forward - especially in the ACC (even the low end ACC). We are a defensive team first - and no problem with that - but we will have to get a much better offensive flow to our game or it will bite us. That means either Bubba or Moore simply pick up their game or we go to a revised scheme that gets us easier shots. Something has to change/improve while Jose is gone or we will stumble.

I think we have to utilize our bigs more on offense. Right now Wright is shooting 58.5% and Banks right at 50%. Run plays for those guys and get them the ball on the block.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we have to utilize our bigs more on offense. Right now Wright is shooting 58.5% and Banks right at 50%. Run plays for those guys and get them the ball on the block.

Here is my hot take for the day. I think that our offense runs more smoothly with Moses at the 5 than Banks. Even at the beginning of the game last night, our offense was generating open looks, we just weren't making them.

Moses has the ability to knock down the 10 footer, and he can also put the ball on the deck (against a C) better than James, he has much better hands, and I think that he is a better finisher (except that long hook he likes to take).

The problem is that James is so much better defensively. His presence on that end of the court is one of the reasons we are an elite defensive team.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is my hot take for the day. I think that our offense runs more smoothly with Moses at the 5 than Banks. Even at the beginning of the game last night, our offense was generating open looks, we just weren't making them.

Moses has the ability to knock down the 10 footer, and he can also put the ball on the deck (against a C) better than James, he has much better hands, and I think that he is a better finisher (except that long hook he likes to take).

The problem is that James is so much better defensively. His presence on that end of the court is one of the reasons we are an elite defensive team.

Please don't encourage this type of bad behavior.

Seriously though, I hear you on some of your points, but I cannot completely agree. Banks already has multiple 20 point games this year and is reliable at getting to the line and making free throws. I think he has just as much upside as Moses on offense, and as you say on defense he is a major part of the secret sauce. I acknowledge that one problem with Banks is that he has games where he disappears. He will score 20 one game and 4 the next. I don't think we are feeding Banks in the post effectively enough. However, he does have a few drawbacks even when he does get post passes. As you say, his hands are not the best. Also, I think he is often too slow to initiate his moves to score, allowing double and triple teams to cover him up, then because of the hands issue he might turn the ball over instead of finding an open teammate. Regardless though, I would prefer that we get better at using them both on the floor at the same time in a high/low type offense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

This hot take is Antartica compared to this ...

I think we're a better team witb Devoe running the show than we are with Jose.

And I agree with you on Moses. Maybe I'm shaded and jaded by the NEB game. The Huskers suuuuck.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This hot take is Antartica compared to this ...

I think we're a better team witb Devoe running the show than we are with Jose.

And I agree with you on Moses. Maybe I'm shaded and jaded by the NEB game. The Huskers suuuuck.
Personally, I don't think we can win against good teams with Mike running PG.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are better offensively with Moses at the 5 and it actually encourages good habits with Moses generally keeping him within 15 - 18 feet of the basket. Specifically he can make the free throw jumper that opens cutting Lanes in the Princeton set. Same issue today as good zone scheme will get that FT jumper against a 2/3 zone.

Overall IMHO we are a better team with Banks as we are a defensive first team and Moses doesn't protect the rim anywhere near What Banks does. Interestingly though rim protection may not be AS big today as I don't perceive SYR as much of a slashing team. Most ACC teams we need Banks

The question about DeVoe depends on whether you think what he has done last couple of games is replicable going forward. I don't think it is starting today. He can't go 1 on the zone - ball is going to have to move before he gets a shot or drive Lane. I think we are better if we treat him a little like Reddick and bring him off a series of picks instead of simply spacing.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We are better offensively with Moses at the 5 and it actually encourages good habits with Moses generally keeping him within 15 - 18 feet of the basket. Specifically he can make the free throw jumper that opens cutting Lanes in the Princeton set. Same issue today as good zone scheme will get that FT jumper against a 2/3 zone.

Overall IMHO we are a better team with Banks as we are a defensive first team and Moses doesn't protect the rim anywhere near What Banks does. Interestingly though rim protection may not be AS big today as I don't perceive SYR as much of a slashing team. Most ACC teams we need Banks

The question about DeVoe depends on whether you think what he has done last couple of games is replicable going forward. I don't think it is starting today. He can't go 1 on the zone - ball is going to have to move before he gets a shot or drive Lane. I think we are better if we treat him a little like Reddick and bring him off a series of picks instead of simply spacing.

This is interesting and I was thinking the same thing about how Moses has to figure out he can’t keep floating so high to the 3 pt line.

My biggest overall gripe with our offense the last few years under CJP is our bigs always wind up stalking the perimeter line instead of being down low where they belong clanging and banging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
This is interesting and I was thinking the same thing about how Moses has to figure out he can’t keep floating so high to the 3 pt line.

My biggest overall gripe with our offense the last few years under CJP is our bigs always wind up stalking the perimeter line instead of being down low where they belong clanging and banging.

This is something that I’ve wondered with the games I’ve watched/attended (all the home games this year). I’m by no way a basketball Xs and Os guy, but it seems like our big guys are SO far away from the basket when they get the ball. Why? Then there’s the almost like clockworks Moses head fake/shot fake when he gets the ball out on the perimeter.

But then again, so many passes I’ve seen to try and feed the big men down low (when we actually attempt that) are terribly bad. Either trying to log over the defender when our player is on the hoop-side of him, or passes that are just way off the mark. We don’t seem to know how to use big men offensively, or how to get them the ball.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is something that I’ve wondered with the games I’ve watched/attended (all the home games this year). I’m by no way a basketball Xs and Os guy, but it seems like our big guys are SO far away from the basket when they get the ball. Why? Then there’s the almost like clockworks Moses head fake/shot fake when he gets the ball out on the perimeter.

But then again, so many passes I’ve seen to try and feed the big men down low (when we actually attempt that) are terribly bad. Either trying to log over the defender when our player is on the hoop-side of him, or passes that are just way off the mark. We don’t seem to know how to use big men offensively, or how to get them the ball.

Yeah I don’t have a good answer for why we roll
the bigs so far out of the basket. Especially since JB is a legit 5 and shouldn’t be more than 10 feet from the rim ever on D or O.

Maybe one or the smarter fonts here has a reason for it?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
probably Sunday in Hawaii vs. Boise State.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic (I've never been accused of that), but I'm thinking that may be the case as well. Surely hope we see him before FSU.

Not only do we need for all of our pieces to gel before the meat of the ACC, but more importantly, we don't need to lose any more games in the non-conference.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps I'm being too optimistic (I've never been accused of that), but I'm thinking that may be the case as well. Surely hope we see him before FSU.

Not only do we need for all of our pieces to gel before the meat of the ACC, but more importantly, we don't need to lose any more games in the non-conference.

I certainly hope it’s sooner rather than later. I had just seen or heard 12/31 a couple of times including from Pastner interview. Maybe (hopefully) that is worst case scenario, and we might actually see him sooner.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I certainly hope it’s sooner rather than later. I had just seen or heard 12/31 a couple of times including from Pastner interview. Maybe (hopefully) that is worst case scenario, and we might actually see him sooner.

I think that they are just trying to be absolutely certain that he is 100% so that we don't have a situation similar to Ben Lammers a few years ago.

It makes sense, but we need him back in the worst way. Especially with Usher now available.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that they are just trying to be absolutely certain that he is 100% so that we don't have a situation similar to Ben Lammers a few years ago.

It makes sense, but we need him back in the worst way. Especially with Usher now available.

Even I remember the pain (tic) of Ben Lammers re-injury. That is the worst case which needs to be avoided.