Jose F. Alvarado Senior Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Up to #19 in points, tied for #10 in assists, #6 in steals.

5 more steals to be in the top 5 all time.

45 assists away from 9th.

Should pass another 4 guys in points to get into the top 15 over the next 7-8 games.

Jose is now all time at Georgia Tech:
Assists: 10th
Steals: 5th

Jose is 21 steals away from 3rd all time.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Jose is having a first team all ACC year. Tobacco road writers probably won't let him have it. Probably 2nd team at best. Opposing coaches know how good he is.

If he continues at this rate he will 100% be 1st team.

He's having ACC PoY type year. He may not get that as there are some other very good options but no way he gets left off 1st team at his current rate.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't think of a better point guard this year. He deserves first team. He will be hard to replace next year. Make that virtually impossible to replace next year.
Haters will say Carlik Jones at Louisville.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Haters will say Carlik Jones at Louisville.

Here's the comparison.

Jose - 17.6 ppg on 53.1% shooting, 43.4% from behind the arc, and 87.2% from the line. 3.7 rebs, 4.4 assists to 2.1 TOs (2.09 ATR) and 3.1 steals to 2.7 fouls in 36.9 mpg.
Jones - 17.4 ppg on 41% shooting, 31.1% from behind the arc, and 83.8% from the line. 5.6 rebs, 4.9 assists to 2.4 TOs (2.04 ATR) and 1.4 steals to 1.6 fouls in 37.4 mpg.

Now I'm biased but Jose is the clear winner here. Same scoring but much better %s, similar assist numbers, and significantly more steals. Jones has a significant advantage in rebounds but I don't see how that comes close to balancing out the shooting and defense differences. And going to ACC only just helps Jose. The shooting discrepancy widens in ACC play with Jose going up to 56.7% and Jones going down to 38.2. Jose widens the steals gap to 3.8 to 1.8. Assists remain basically the same story.

Of course, I doubt I have to convince anyone here of that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately it will usually go to the guy who is on the team with the most wins. Jose is also main reason we turned our season around last year when he came back from injury. He makes up for his height with steals and quickness.

slugboy

Staff member
I will add to your list....Bruce Dalrymple. Jerry Mays. Ted Roof.
I wish I had a photo of Roof on the sidelines with blood on the bridge of his nose for people who never saw him play.
Here’s an AJC article that gives a little perspective (Tennessee was a “program” in those days, and they considered us a team they paid to show up and lose)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I saw him play lots of times. He was a warrior. I also was at the game when he became interim head coach at duke and beat us in Durham. Got him the HC job but he may be one of those guys that just isn't cut out to be a head coach. He sure has moved around a lot since GT DC job. Got to be tough for his wife with so many moves. Up there with Maxie Baughn at MLB for that era.

Deleted member 2897

Here's the comparison.

Jose - 17.6 ppg on 53.1% shooting, 43.4% from behind the arc, and 87.2% from the line. 3.7 rebs, 4.4 assists to 2.1 TOs (2.09 ATR) and 3.1 steals to 2.7 fouls in 36.9 mpg.
Jones - 17.4 ppg on 41% shooting, 31.1% from behind the arc, and 83.8% from the line. 5.6 rebs, 4.9 assists to 2.4 TOs (2.04 ATR) and 1.4 steals to 1.6 fouls in 37.4 mpg.

Now I'm biased but Jose is the clear winner here. Same scoring but much better %s, similar assist numbers, and significantly more steals. Jones has a significant advantage in rebounds but I don't see how that comes close to balancing out the shooting and defense differences. And going to ACC only just helps Jose. The shooting discrepancy widens in ACC play with Jose going up to 56.7% and Jones going down to 38.2. Jose widens the steals gap to 3.8 to 1.8. Assists remain basically the same story.

Of course, I doubt I have to convince anyone here of that.

We see this in football every year too - he who has the better stats doesn't always get the awards.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If he continues at this rate he will 100% be 1st team.

He's having ACC PoY type year. He may not get that as there are some other very good options but no way he gets left off 1st team at his current rate.
Agree with all of your points re: Jose in this thread.

And so I will just add that the “if he continues at this rate” qualifier is significant in a couple respects:
1) His stats will remain a clear-cut case for 1st team All-ACC
2) By virtue of that type of performance, I expect we will win a lot of games. That’ll embellish his case for 1st team as our team gets more pub.

Deleted member 2897

Jose is 10 steals away from 3rd all time, 34 assists away from 9th all time, and 80 points away from 15th all time.

Jose is currently in 3rd in the ACC in points (0.1 ppg out of 2nd), 5th in assists, 1st in steals, and 2nd in free throw percentage.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Jose is 10 steals away from 3rd all time, 34 assists away from 9th all time, and 80 points away from 15th all time.

Jose is currently in 3rd in the ACC in points (0.1 ppg out of 2nd), 5th in assists, 1st in steals, and 2nd in free throw percentage.

Sounds like an ACC 1st Teamer to me.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Everyone needs to listen to GT:60 tonight. 25ish minute mark, Josh talks about the conversation Jose and Josh had at 2am in McCamish as Jose practiced free throws after the bus ride home from Clemson. Brought me to near tears. Love this kid, don't care if he misses crucial a free throw or not. I'm gonna bawl when his Georgia Tech career is over.