Jordan Yates

kalld12

Banned
3 years of practice and scrimmage is enough. He and Sims have been head to head for almost 2 years now and Sims is still better. INTs by the guy getting more snaps is inevitable when compared to the backups. You can't cherry pick 3 games and show it, you have to look at the year as a whole. See the first few UNC series, Yates wasn't the answer and we lose that game if Sims doesn't come in. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T LIKE YATES! He's a Rudy type (horrible reference this week but best I could think of.), his heart and determination are amazing and off the charts, but he is 3-5 inches too short and his arm is 20 yards too weak. It's just that facts don't care about your feelings. No coach in any sport who is getting paid will play a worse player over a better player.
You seem upset, you ok? LOL you're still defending the pick machine?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Heard a stat last Saturday when I was at the 404 Tailgate that GT is the only P5 school that currently has 0 INTs by a CB. That just goes to show how bad our secondary has been.

Confirmed here, only 3 INTs all year, 2 by Charlie Thomas and 1 by Juanyeh Thomas. Not good
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/2021.html
Yes I’m am ready for the younger guys to get the majority of the playing time here on forward. It’s time to move on from Carpenter Oliver Walton and most important Swilling. I leave Thomas in there but limited his playing time to half. They should of never moved Oliver from the offense. I thank these guys for the longs careers but it is time to move on from them starting on Saturday. Swilling has been a big disappointment since he’s got here and I just don’t like his attitude and demeanor. He should of been benched a long time ago.

kalld12

Banned
Yes I’m am ready for the younger guys to get the majority of the playing time here on forward. It’s time to move on from Carpenter Oliver Walton and most important Swilling. I leave Thomas in there but limited his playing time to half. They should of never moved Oliver from the offense. I thank these guys for the longs careers but it is time to move on from them starting on Saturday. Swilling has been a big disappointment since he’s got here and I just don’t like his attitude and demeanor. He should of been benched a long time ago.
1000000%. Its time to see some fresh faces

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
@kalld12 So you'd rather play a lower skilled player who has less time left in the program over a player who has beaten him out for 2 years?? Gotcha. And if you look objectively at our Red Zone deficiencies, notice who the qb was (hint Clemson, first quarter vs UNC, 2nd half vs NIU, BC just stick out)

kalld12

Banned
@kalld12 So you'd rather play a lower skilled player who has less time left in the program over a player who has beaten him out for 2 years?? Gotcha. And if you look objectively at our Red Zone deficiencies, notice who the qb was (hint Clemson, first quarter vs UNC, 2nd half vs NIU, BC just stick out)
If you're blaming red zone deficiencies on Yates and not play calling then your argument has lost all weight. Sims is a turnover machine. At least I know what i have in Yates.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Im not necessarily in the camp of Yates over Sims, but in the 5 games before the BC game Sims was scoring on 77% of red zone trips with 46% of those being TDs. Those numbers would be 105th and 124th in the rankings. It doesn't matter who is back there. We are bad in the red zone.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What? See, i was going to spare and didn’t tag you on purpose bc after this weekend there is no debate on who’s better. Once BC forced Yates to sit in the pocket, it was murder she wrote!
Sims doesn’t sit in the pocket well either, the more time Sims has to pass the worse decision maker he becomes. There’s no way you could use Pocket awareness and decision making to point to who’s better out of the two.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
3 years of practice and scrimmage is enough. He and Sims have been head to head for almost 2 years now and Sims is still better. INTs by the guy getting more snaps is inevitable when compared to the backups. You can't cherry pick 3 games and show it, you have to look at the year as a whole. See the first few UNC series, Yates wasn't the answer and we lose that game if Sims doesn't come in. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T LIKE YATES! He's a Rudy type (horrible reference this week but best I could think of.), his heart and determination are amazing and off the charts, but he is 3-5 inches too short and his arm is 20 yards too weak. It's just that facts don't care about your feelings. No coach in any sport who is getting paid will play a worse player over a better player.
Seems like the argument comes down to the definition of "worst". Probably will not be finally decided until we get some decent OL blocking to eliminate the Sims bad decisions/bad throws/turnovers or the unscripted Yates run-for-your-life offense where anything can happen.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think both of these QBs are really good and I am glad we have them. Yates would be better if he had more playing time. Sims has great upside potential But overall it seems like they are both feeling a lot of pressure when they are in there because they feel like they have to score on every possessions due to how bad the defense is. So bad decisions happen in those scenarios

ebigtexas

Georgia Tech Fan
I do have a question for those who know throwing mechanics. I know Sims is much taller than Yates, but I am truly surprised at the number of tipped balls Sims has at the line of scrimmage… and tipped isn’t always the right word as some have hit a helmet. These have led to interceptions and some just wasted plays. Is his launch point low? Is he tall, but plays small? It seems we have way more of these than other teams I watch (although I don’t think there are statistics on this so I can’t quantify).

slugboy

Staff member
Sims doesn’t sit in the pocket well either, the more time Sims has to pass the worse decision maker he becomes. There’s no way you could use Pocket awareness and decision making to point to who’s better out of the two.
I might be able to dig it up, but David Hale put together an ACC QB rating for when the QB had a pocket. Sims was at the top.

Problem is, he doesn’t have those opportunities as often as we’d like

However, 10 games in, this is sub-par:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Given that Yates was recruited to be Ricky Dobbs II - and he would have been - I think he's done well. I can see why the coaches start Sims, sorta; he's more physically impressive. If they would just - yes, I'm going to say it again - let Sims run more, he'd be much more effective. Yates, however, is a better field leader (imho) and gets the most out of his talent.

I think one of our biggest problems is that we seem to want both of them to do things according to an ideal picture of what a spread QB should do. And, to be frank, neither of them is a prototypical spread QB. Another font said that Sims was a running QB who could throw. I agree and so is Yates. But that talent isn't being exploited and, as near as I can see, that is because the coaches don't want to run an O that uses it.

Well, it's their movie. At least for awhile.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Walton has been fine. Not great, but he’s not the issue. The safety position has been an absolute liability.

I personally think Thomas’ playing time may have to do with trying to get his brother to come here. Hope I’m wrong on that one.

Both him and Riq have lost a step and outgrown the position. Riq especially would be better in the box.

Swilling has been a major disappointment too. Both of them really. Had high hopes for both when they got here.

Oliver is just a good athlete but really position-less. Not quick or polished enough to be in the slot, not big enough to be a RB, and has just been okay at corner. He was made to run the TO.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You seem upset, you ok? LOL you're still defending the pick machine?
You’re a great fan. Calling our QB “the pick machine” well done…

If we want to talk turnovers, Yates did it twice this past weekend.

Yates this season:

KSU: 245 total offense and no turnovers
Clemson: 220 total yards and 1 turnover
UNC: 25 total yards and no turnovers
BC: 170 total yards and 2 turnovers
NIU: 170 and no turnovers

Sims this season:

Miami: 185 total yards and 1 turnover
VT: 240 total offense and 2 turnovers
UVA: 365 total offense and 1 turnover
Duke: 350 yards of total offense and 2 turnovers
Pitt: 400 yards total offense and 2 turnovers
UNC: 240 total yards and no turnovers
NIU: 60 total yards and 1 turnover

What it looks like to me is that Sims gives the team our best chance to win. Especially with a terrible defense. We need to score points to have a chance.

Yates is a gamer and I think he can help us win games. Sims is the better QB and has a chance to be great.

Sims has twice as much passing yardage and TDs with only 80 more attempts. He also has 280 more rushing yards on only 23 more carries. Yates has also taken 2 more sacks with significantly less drop backs.

Yates is a fine player but your hatred on Sims is unwarranted and almost like you got an axe to grind.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Walton has been fine. Not great, but he’s not the issue. The safety position has been an absolute liability.

I personally think Thomas’ playing time may have to do with trying to get his brother to come here. Hope I’m wrong on that one.

Both him and Riq have lost a step and outgrown the position. Riq especially would be better in the box.

Swilling has been a major disappointment too. Both of them really. Had high hopes for both when they got here.

Oliver is just a good athlete but really position-less. Not quick or polished enough to be in the slot, not big enough to be a RB, and has just been okay at corner. He was made to run the TO.
I agree Swilling has had a bad year but I still think he can play. Two years ago he was great and last year he was not bad. Thomas is strong on run defense but weak on pass and #2 has to go.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo … if we have running QBs who can throw, what should the O look like? Like this:

This is Utah in 2004 with Alex Smith at QB. Notice the many two back sets and the way the O converts from one back to two back by shifts at the snap. And how Smith's running sets up the dive. And the double options at the edge. And, of course, the RPO that works because the D has to respect Smith's running. Problem = Utah also had a lights-out D in those days.

Tech could do this.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Soooooo … if we have running QBs who can throw, what should the O look like? Like this:

This is Utah in 2004 with Alex Smith at QB. Notice the many two back sets and the way the O converts from one back to two back by shifts at the snap. And how Smith's running sets up the dive. And the double options at the edge. And, of course, the RPO that works because the D has to respect Smith's running. Problem = Utah also had a lights-out D in those days.

Tech could do this.

I didn’t watch the whole thing, but what stood out to me was the pocket Smith had to stand in.

Sure some of the concepts are nice, but that offense would look a lot different with our OL blocking for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got plenty of beef with some of CDP’s play selection, but OL is still the biggest issue to our lack of consistency on O.