Jordan Yates

kalld12

Banned

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

kalld12

Banned
What? See, i was going to spare and didn’t tag you on purpose bc after this weekend there is no debate on who’s better. Once BC forced Yates to sit in the pocket, it was murder she wrote!
LMAO no debate you say? I disagree completely. One QB has had much more playing time than the other and still turns the ball over at a much higher clip than Yates. Yes, Sims seems to drive the offense at a more explosive pace when things are clicking and has a stronger arm, but about 50% of this board is not sold on Sims, he still has ALOT to prove. Yates threw 1 INT and you're not going to chop that up to lack of playing time? That's just naive. Im neither sold on Sims or Yates, I just want the QB that gives us the best chance to win and I still think that's Yates. I also don't think we see Sims the rest of the year, his ankle was in a boot and why offer him up to a ND/UGA Defense. Hopefully Yates gets more reps over the next two weeks!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
LMAO no debate you say? I disagree completely. One QB has had much more playing time than the other and still turns the ball over at a much higher clip than Yates. Yes, Sims seems to drive the offense at a more explosive pace when things are clicking and has a stronger arm, but about 50% of this board is not sold on Sims, he still has ALOT to prove. Yates threw 1 INT and you're not going to chop that up to lack of playing time? That's just naive. Im neither sold on Sims or Yates, I just want the QB that gives us the best chance to win and I still think that's Yates. I also don't think we see Sims the rest of the year, his ankle was in a boot and why offer him up to a ND/UGA Defense. Hopefully Yates gets more reps over the next two weeks!
Since you’re still missing the key points. Defenses have to gameplan for more with sims due to his arm strength and ability with his legs vs Yates does not have that. Sims can drive the ball down field and get points while yates can’t even get close to that. I mean how much more obvious can it be that Sims gives us the best chance to win?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Since you’re still missing the key points. Defenses have to gameplan for more with sims due to his arm strength and ability with his legs vs Yates does not have that. Sims can drive the ball down field and get points while yates can’t even get close to that. I mean how much more obvious can it be that Sims gives us the best chance to win?
I think Sims has more physical upside potential, but Yates can run, too. Sims is a stronger runner but Yates seems to have more elusiveness. I would give Sims a small advantage in this area, though, because he has more potential to carry it to the house. But it can't be discounted that Sims has had more playing time under his belt and all things considered, I would call it a draw between the two. That's with the acknowledgement that Sims has more upside potential in physical strength. But that's only one consideration. This is the QB position, and there are other considerations. Just my opinion.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think Sims has more physical upside potential, but Yates can run, too. Sims is a stronger runner but Yates seems to have more elusiveness. I would give Sims a small advantage in this area, though, because he has more potential to carry it to the house. But it can't be discounted that Sims has had more playing time under his belt and all things considered, I would call it a draw between the two. That's with the acknowledgement that Sims has more upside potential in physical strength. But that's only one consideration. This is the QB position, and there are other considerations. Just my opinion.
I think Yates not playing much is due to him just simply not being that good. He’s been in the system 3 years and is only getting time because of injuries. Sims is a lot more elusive runner. He looks like a running back when he runs (similar to Lamar jackson).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates not playing much is due to him just simply not being that good. He’s been in the system 3 years and is only getting time because of injuries. Sims is a lot more elusive runner. He looks like a running back when he runs (similar to Lamar jackson).
He's elusive. I used the word loosely and should have said that I think he runs more instinctively, but I think they're both good runners in their way. If we could have a hybrid combining the best qualities of the two, we'd have a QB who would be twice as good as either of them, IMO.

kalld12

Banned
Lets clear something up, Sims is more like RG3 than anyone, Lamar Jackson though? Not even close! Lamar's agility and top end speed alone are world class

kalld12

Banned
We would have more wins if our defense didn’t give up as many explosive plays or was better on 3rd down
Cant refute that, but I can also think about 1 or 2 games where the offense had a chance to win us the game and they didnt. Not blaming QB play in its entirety as play calling and clock management late in games has been abysmal to say the least.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What? See, i was going to spare and didn’t tag you on purpose bc after this weekend there is no debate on who’s better. Once BC forced Yates to sit in the pocket, it was murder she wrote!
Last three games:

VT (Sims): 15/26 (58%), 7.0 yards per pass, 2TD/1INT, 56.1 ESPN QBR, 60 yards rushing 0 TD. Team scored 17 offensive points.
MIA (Sims): 21/38 (55%), 5.1 yards per pass, 1TD/1INT, 35.2 ESPN QBR, -8 yards rushing 0 TD. Team scored 21 offensive points.
BC (Yates): 17/28 (61%), 4.5 yards per pass, 1TD/1INT, 53.4 ESPN QBR, 47 yards rushing 1 TD. Team scored 23 offensive points.

This doesn't seem like that large of a drop off. Frankly, if you look at these stats and the stats for the rest of the season you start to realize that our QB play has been really mediocre in general.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think with just a middle of the road in the acc type D we’d be at 6 wins at least with either one of Sims or Yates at Qb. I really like Sims athleticism and it makes us really dangerous combined with Gibbs Smith and Mason but Yates has the ability to make plays and the games seems to be a little slower to him right now. He reminds me of a Tevin Washington type. A game manager that can get the ball where it needs to be and in the right play makers hands. Granted, both make some costly errors but given a clean pocket or time to make the read, both are really good.
Yates makes quick decisions and he gets that ball out in a hurry. Sims has more upside but the game is still a bit fast for him...especially with the matador line in front of him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yates is also extremely accurate on the run which comes in handy when you’re on the run seemingly always. What is really impressive is his ability to change his throwing angle depending on the obstacles in front of him as he’s running for his life. I think this is how he mitigates his size disadvantage.

kalld12

Banned
Yates is also extremely accurate on the run which comes in handy when you’re on the run seemingly always. What is really impressive is his ability to change his throwing angle depending on the obstacles in front of him as he’s running for his life. I think this is how he mitigates his size disadvantage.
Just needs more playing time! I get it he's short and has a hard time delivering the ball over the middle at times due to his size, but Russell Wilson struggled early on too until he had in game reps to build off of. Yates game literally remind me of RW's style of play (hes a gamer), can throw it accurately on the run, can extend play with his feet (hes shifty), knows where the 1st down marker is, can change arm angles quickly to deliver a ball accurately, and keeps his eye downfield at all times. You're correct, with our current OL and having no more than 1-2 sec to throw (maybe..) being able to throw accurately outside of the pocket is a huge advantage. Needs more reps, but we will see what happens.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just needs more playing time! I get it he's short and has a hard time delivering the ball over the middle at times due to his size, but Russell Wilson struggled early on too until he had in game reps to build off of. Yates game literally remind me of RW's style of play (hes a gamer), can throw it accurately on the run, can extend play with his feet (hes shifty), knows where the 1st down marker is, can change arm angles quickly to deliver a ball accurately, and keeps his eye downfield at all times. You're correct, with our current OL and having no more than 1-2 sec to throw (maybe..) being able to throw accurately outside of the pocket is a huge advantage. Needs more reps, but we will see what happens.
3 years of practice and scrimmage is enough. He and Sims have been head to head for almost 2 years now and Sims is still better. INTs by the guy getting more snaps is inevitable when compared to the backups. You can't cherry pick 3 games and show it, you have to look at the year as a whole. See the first few UNC series, Yates wasn't the answer and we lose that game if Sims doesn't come in. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T LIKE YATES! He's a Rudy type (horrible reference this week but best I could think of.), his heart and determination are amazing and off the charts, but he is 3-5 inches too short and his arm is 20 yards too weak. It's just that facts don't care about your feelings. No coach in any sport who is getting paid will play a worse player over a better player.