Jordan Yates

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yates definitely provides a more predictable guy. He’s like another coach out there with a lot of talent.

I just think the Sims we saw against UNC is more of who he is than the guy who started NIU.

It’d be easy to use his performance last year to make assumptions (and I wouldn’t fault anyone for doing so), I’m just choosing to believe he’s made the jump the coaches told us about leading up to the season and game 1 was an aberration.

My thought is if we can come out and put up some points early, we can put pressure on Pitt to score and let our edge rushers get hot again.

I think we can win with either guy, our offense is just so much more explosive with Sims. I also think that just like Yates earned the starting job with his performance against NIU and beyond, Sims did the same Saturday.
I respect your points. No argument with Sims "earning " the start (that can be fixed among Collins, Yates, and Sims). Yet to be determined if Sims has overcome some bad 2020 habits. Coach P does not have a good record of getting ahead early so I am not sold on that strategy.
No question Sims is more explosive and we definitely should use him in the red zone every time and maybe even in most of the game time. Until he proves himself I am cautious about mistakes he might make playing early and especially 60 minutes. At this point we do not know. We know more about Yates and we know his ceiling is lower, but we know he is less likely to give the game away early. It could go either way.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I respect your points. No argument with Sims "earning " the start (that can be fixed among Collins, Yates, and Sims). Yet to be determined if Sims has overcome some bad 2020 habits. Coach P does not have a good record of getting ahead early so I am not sold on that strategy.
No question Sims is more explosive and we definitely should use him in the red zone every time and maybe even in most of the game time. Until he proves himself I am cautious about mistakes he might make playing early and especially 60 minutes. At this point we do not know. We know more about Yates and we know his ceiling is lower, but we know he is less likely to give the game away early. It could go either way.
Good points as well.

I honestly don’t care who plays as long as we win. Both seem like great guys and the team has rallied around each of them when they’ve been in and had success.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Sims shortest drive against UNC (10 yards) was longer than 4 of Yates’ 5 drives. Yates had 4 drives where the offense went 9 yards or less. Including a drive that started on the 10 yard line and went backwards four yards.

I honestly do not know how anyone watched that game Saturday and still think Yates should start over Sims.
On the surface your stats make some good points. If you look a little deeper you hear the UNC coach publicly saying that UNC played their best D football in the first half and their worst in the second half (some of this was Sims and some not). We played a very physical game and subbed a lot. As a team we got stronger and stronger as the game went on. No one knows but Sims had the very definite advantage of playing fresh against a beat up wore out team in the second half. Stats can be misleading. Yates played UNC to 7-6 when both teams were fresh. Sims played great and you cannot take that away but there is context to your stats that are missing. There is also the public acknowledgement that UNC prepared for Yates and did not spend much time preparing for Sims as they did not know his injury status. It could have been UNCs poor prep as much as Sims fresh legs that skewed those stats.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sims shortest drive against UNC (10 yards) was longer than 4 of Yates’ 5 drives. Yates had 4 drives where the offense went 9 yards or less. Including a drive that started on the 10 yard line and went backwards four yards.

I honestly do not know how anyone watched that game Saturday and still think Yates should start over Sims.
I am just going to need to see Sims do this as a starter when the other team has been game planning for him for a couple of games before I am really a believer. Yates is pretty safe. You can bank on a solid performance and few mistakes. Sims still feels like a crapshoot. He might play like he did against UNC. He also might play like he did against NIU.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims athletic abilities mask and makeup for alot of our O lines limited abilities. Oline does not need to hold point of attack as long due to his speed and his arm strength stretches defenses horizontally and vertically so opposing defenses are not crowding the line as much. With Yates we are playing in a phone booth and he’s done a good job managing it, but the windows for throws and runs are much smaller requiring him to execute every play at a high level of precision.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We've played 8 quarters against ACC teams. in 6 of those quarters, roughly, we had 15 drives that produced 4 FGs. In the other 2 quarters we had 7 drives that produced 5 TDs and 1 FG.

Yes, Sims comes with a higher risk of turnover. But he also has a significantly higher chance to make the plays needed to win the game. We've seen this year that simply not turning the ball over isn't enough to win the game. It wasn't enough against NIU. It wasn't enough against Clemson. It likely wouldn't have been enough against UNC.

Playing Yates isn't giving us a better chance to win, like some people claimed. It's just a better chance to not lose by a lot, but still lose anyways.

Yates has a lot of qualities you want in a back up. He won't make huge mess ups and cost us the game, and can move the ball decently most of the time. But he lacks the playmaking ability that this team needs right now from the QB spot to win games.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sims will start and play most of the games going forward unless he becomes turnover prone or wets the bed (NIU) then we will see Yates again

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
This likely isn't a popular view, but I wouldn't mind seeing Yates take a possession in the second quarter sometime to sow confusion in the Pitt D. Just as they are starting to get a 'feel' for the game flow, change it up and require them to adjust to a short-passing game instead.

At least, that's how I play it on NCAA Football and they pay me a lot to play that game!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We've played 8 quarters against ACC teams. in 6 of those quarters, roughly, we had 15 drives that produced 4 FGs. In the other 2 quarters we had 7 drives that produced 5 TDs and 1 FG.

Yes, Sims comes with a higher risk of turnover. But he also has a significantly higher chance to make the plays needed to win the game. We've seen this year that simply not turning the ball over isn't enough to win the game. It wasn't enough against NIU. It wasn't enough against Clemson. It likely wouldn't have been enough against UNC.

Playing Yates isn't giving us a better chance to win, like some people claimed. It's just a better chance to not lose by a lot, but still lose anyways.

Yates has a lot of qualities you want in a back up. He won't make huge mess ups and cost us the game, and can move the ball decently most of the time. But he lacks the playmaking ability that this team needs right now from the QB spot to win games.
Im not sure that Sims would have put up 10 TDs and 2 FGs against Clemson like this post seems to imply.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No but he might have put up 2 TDs.
He might have. He might also have turned it over 3 times and we could have lost by three touchdowns. Either way, im not sure you can accurately compare two QBs when one played Clemson and the other played two quarters against UNC. There is a reason that JT Daniels played so much better against South Carolina than he did against Clemson. Playing one of the best defenses in College Football tends to hurt your numbers a bit. This week will be a better test. Pitts defense isn't great but it is better than UNCs. They will be preparing for Sims all week. They have seen him before as well. If Sims lights it up this week then that is a pretty good omen for the rest of the season.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
He might have. He might also have turned it over 3 times and we could have lost by three touchdowns. Either way, im not sure you can accurately compare two QBs when one played Clemson and the other played two quarters against UNC. There is a reason that JT Daniels played so much better against South Carolina than he did against Clemson. Playing one of the best defenses in College Football tends to hurt your numbers a bit. This week will be a better test. Pitts defense isn't great but it is better than UNCs. They will be preparing for Sims all week. They have seen him before as well. If Sims lights it up this week then that is a pretty good omen for the rest of the season.

Ok, can I compare the two QBs based off how they both played against UNC? Cause one was significantly better than the other.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The UNC game showed how to make Sims more effective: LET HIM RUN THE BALL. He's good at it and when he runs it inhibits the rush, Also, he doesn't force throws when he can use his feet instead. Like I said in another thread, against UNC we looked like KSU when Bill Synder was there: we ran the ball and passed to keep the other side honest. We need to do that for the rest of the year.

But will we? I have my doubts. I would guess that Paternaude would like to do that; his teams have always been running teams. The question is will Collins let him. I think Collins has visions about what he'd like the team to look like and is going to insist on seeing them to fruition. Hope I'm wrong.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Yates is a much better decision maker than Sims and it's not close. Obviously Sims has more physical tools at his disposal.

I went back and watched the UNC game again, and Yates would've moved the ball effectively in the second half with the adjustments we made at halftime. Would he have done the same as Sims? We'll never know. The play calling in the first half was hot garbage, and Yates consistently made the right reads and put the ball in the right places, but was also the victim of horribly bad blocking and the coaches sometimes being very slow getting plays in. In second half Sims made several bad reads but our RBs just ran hard and got yardage anyway.

We could've started the game with Sims and brought Yates in the second half and everyone would be singing Yates' praises. The first short field TD - we started running the inverted read option (RB going laterally, QB goes upfield on the pull) and that's why the TD was an easy walk in. Yates' would've had the exact same thing. We also adjusted blocking, but Sims threw several bad balls just directly into covered WRs. That pass over the middle into double coverage (should've be targeting or at the least PI) was atrocious. An NFL WR would get up and cuss out his rookie QB for throwing him into a train wreck like that. Even the long pass that was caught was at best a 50/50 ball where the WR had to go up and take it away from the DB.

There's 11 guys out there and a lot of the problems in the first half didn't have to do with Yates, and there were a lot less problems in the second half and some of them had to do with Sims. I hope Sims starts the Pitt game and lights it up all game long, he's a tremendous athlete. But if not we have a slightly less mobile QB with an accurate arm and who is a great decision maker and isn't loose with the ball.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Mack Brown quote from AJC

North Carolina coach Mack Brown has coached an all-time great quarterback before. And he sees the potential for greatness in Georgia Tech quarterback Jeff Sims.
“When I first saw him, in his first game at Georgia Tech, I said, ‘Whew, this guy’s really good. He’s very talented,’” Brown said of Sims on Monday. “‘So he’s going to give them a chance moving forward.’”
Brown was referencing Tech’s season-opening win at Florida State in 2020, when Sims completed 23 of 34 passes for 277 yards while running 13 times for 64 yards in the Yellow Jackets’ 16-13 win.
Watching the game against the Seminoles, Brown said, “I said, ‘Look out, this guy has a chance to be a superstar.’ And I saw that Saturday night.”