Jordan Yates

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to say that I think the Coaches and players handled the QB situation really well.

Giant credit to Jordan Yates for cheering on Sims and the team after the change last night. He's a team player and leader. We're lucky to have him.

Credit to Sims for sitting back for two games and coming in looking ready. He's got the talent to be as good as he wants. Last night he took care of the ball and outplayed a likely future first round draft pick.

Credit to the coaches for giving them both opportunity and rolling with the hot hand. Yates deserved to play after the way he handled the team the last two weeks. But it was clear last night the offense needed a spark and Sims provided it. I think both players should feel like they got a fair chance. The QB playing better has gotten the snaps.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sims got his chance. He performed spectacularly and won that game for us.

Good for Sims. Good on Yates and good on the coaches for managing what could have been a very tricky situation.

Now, I do still worry about Sims accuracy as a passer. BUT he clearly has earned his starting job back, imho.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...if Pitt takes away the run game and practices it all week we could drop Yates back in to hit them with short passes much like WMU did to them.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Plus with a 2 QB rotation the opponents have to prepare for both QBs and ours bring different skill sets to the table. Sims is fast and shifty but he looks especially fast if he has fresh legs and runs against a tired defense late in the game. Plus it may help to keep them in a rotation due to the wear/tear scenarios you can find yourself in especially taking hard hits or having lingering/nagging small injuries that can heal as quickly if you’re in there taking every snap.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, at this point, I could see them giving both snaps early on and sticking with the hot hand throughout the game and if one guy is consistently the hot hand, then that guy wins the job.
I agree for the most part but think Sims should be the starter. I jumped on the Yates bandwagon but Sims' natural ability is too awesome to deny. I learned my lesson. Sims is the starter going forward and we need to have patience with him while he grows into his potential. That said, Yates is a great change-of-pace guy that can throw a curveball at the opposing defense if they prep too much for one qb over the other. He has proven that, while he may not be able to take over a game, he surely isn't going to lose it for us. Yates is a great game manager which is a big compliment IMO.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree for the most part but think Sims should be the starter. I jumped on the Yates bandwagon but Sims' natural ability is too awesome to deny. I learned my lesson. Sims is the starter going forward and we need to have patience with him while he grows into his potential. That said, Yates is a great change-of-pace guy that can throw a curveball at the opposing defense if they prep too much for one qb over the other. He has proven that, while he may not be able to take over a game, he surely isn't going to lose it for us. Yates is a great game manager which is a big compliment IMO.

In either case, it is a nice option or even a luxury to have 2 guys who can play. Byerly and Godsey (before starting his junior year) were the best second string QB's in my time as a fan. Who am I overlooking as I feel like there have been one or two others?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
In either case, it is a nice option or even a luxury to have 2 guys who can play. Byerly and Godsey (before starting his junior year) were the best second string QB's in my time as a fan. Who am I overlooking as I feel like there have been one or two others?
Tevin Washington-Vad Lee-Justin Thomas

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I couldn't agree more. Having two guys that can play that also seem to be great leaders is a wonderful thing to have. Byerly was so much fun to watch. From a mindest standpoint, he reminds me of Yates. Both guys are just insanely steady/level-headed. No moment is too big for them. I think that is what CPJ and Collins, after he got the job, saw in Yates. While he may not be the athelete that JT or Oliver are, CPJ must have liked thinking about his offense being orchestrated by a guy that would make the right read consistently.

Also, kudos to Collins for not telling Yates to go elsewhere after he took the job (ie what Florida State did with Sims). I think Yates may not fit their system perfectly based on their recruitment of Sims and now the qb from Memphis, but honoring his commitment to tech was big

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Tobias and TaQuon had it going a bit in 2018 too. Remember that VT Game where TaQuon wasn't able to go and Tobias basically ran at will against them?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd start Simms, he has earned his starting spot back, but it won't surprise me if we play both QB's, or if Yates comes in if Simms struggles.

It's actually nice to have 2 options at QB. It's like having 2 bullets in the gun rather than 1.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Why not repeat what we did against the Carolina cheaters? Start Yates until the O stalls and then bring in Sims. I think both Yates and Sims respect what each other brings to the table and understands/respects the circumstances that has brought the team to where it is today. Yates, I feel, deserves to start and Sims knows what he (Sims) can do when the opportunity presents itself again (and it most suredly will). We all saw last Saturday what Sims is fully capable of. There is some "Lamar Jackson"-type stuff waiting to be let loose when the opportunity arises again.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Why not repeat what we did against the Carolina cheaters? Start Yates until the O stalls and then bring in Sims. I think both Yates and Sims respect what each other brings to the table and understands/respects the circumstances that has brought the team to where it is today. Yates, I feel, deserves to start and Sims knows what he (Sims) can do when the opportunity presents itself again (and it most suredly will). We all saw last Saturday what Sims is fully capable of. There is some "Lamar Jackson"-type stuff waiting to be let loose when the opportunity arises again.

Why would we do that when we could just start Sims and not have the offense stall?