Jordan Yates

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Good idea but not enough room for the full deal shrimp boil. i am not a good cook but i associate with the best .

The Campbells were awesome with their Louisiana spread.

I just added steamed shelled and deveined shrimp and cocktail Sause from Joe Patties in Pensacola.

Driving up in AM. At a small joint in on 85 near Newnan (sic) we are picking up slab of ribs.

Wife wants wine and cheese with shrimp?

As bad as we are you need lots of other add ons to enjoy the game.

Being a GT fan is not for the weak.

Come by home depot lot if you are near by. When you see ribs, boiled shrimp, beer, wine, cheese, and Jack , just say Go Jackets and you are welcome.

When we go to a major bowl - i am all in on having a gtswarm tail gate.
"Wife wants wine and cheese with shrimp"? Is she not aware that UNC is the ultimate "whine and cheese" crowd? Having such fare before a UNC-Tech game is tantamount to sacrilege.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I really love how passionate we all are about GT football.... I just don't understand how this fan base chooses to be divided on every issue. Old-school coach vs. new-school coach, Yates vs. Sims, program ceiling vs. unlimited potential. You all know I have participated in those discussions as well, though not as much as others.

Is everyone not as tired of it as I am? I lurked on this website for a while before posting, so I have kept up on all of the coach discussions over the years........ good times...........

Yates has done well for us. I think he should keep starting. That said, let's all hope that all of these student athletes have success on and off the field. In the end, as long as we see improvement and grow as a program, I don't give a flying you-know-what who starts and gets snaps regardless of what my opinions are. All of this empty conjecture and arguing just must act as entertainment for some of us.

Let's just have a program we can be proud of (which I hope we are building towards) and root for out team no matter what coach or QB we have.

Bring on the mustache-twirling, University of Virginia wannabe tar-holes!
You call this "division"? Miami fans on Canes In Sight say amateurs.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Per your own words, if the player is better then you, then you got beat out for the job. You hide and watch. Sims will have an opportunity to retain his job when he comes back from injury. The coaches are going to give him his chance, as I’ve said all along.
Per your own words you can't get beat out of the job because you're injured. I've shown you a half dozen examples and now you're changing your story. If Yates is just ok or not very good I'm sure Sims will definitely get his shot as he should. That's not what I'm arguing about. And for the record I don't think Yates' performance at Clemson is enough to move on from Sims and I've said as much previously. But, for example, if Yates throws for 300+ and 4 TDs for the next couple of games if Sims can't play he probably won't. Even if he's better in practice.

I’ve also said all along that if he earns it back, he’ll earn it back in practice AND in games. All these professional examples you mention, we’re you in the practices afterwards? Do you know ther Bledsoe, Taylor or any of these other examples didn’t get beat out in practice after they came back healthy? Pretty sure Taylor had opportunities after he came back.
I think this is where our fundamental disagreement is. You think you're 100% gonna get that shot to earn your job back when you're healthy. I don't think that's the case if the person who replaced you is playing better than you did when you were healthy or even just playing well at the moment. We've seen it happen. And I'm not sure why you're pulling the 'were you in the practices afterwards?' card. You weren't there either so you have just as much of a leg to stand on as I do on that front.

For transparency sake, I didn’t remember Bledsoe coming back, but then again that’s a pretty unique situation.
Fair enough. But it's not really that unique. I gave you a half dozen examples. Would you like another one? Steve Young gets hurt in 1991. Steve Bono comes in and plays well enough to keep the job after Young is healthy. Young only got the job back that year because Bono himself got hurt in the second to last game of the season. He had a 101.8 passer rating that year and still didn't get his job back.

Bottom line is if a player gets injured, he (or she) is going to get the opportunity to keep their job. As I said before, until someone like @Ibeeballin says differently, just because you say it’s lip service doesn’t make it so. Every coach I’ve ever been around had intimated that.
I'd love to hear his thoughts. But I'm sure he's got better things to do then weigh in on a conversation between a couple of internet randos. Sports coaches are one of the most full of **** professions I've ever dealt with. Particularly the lower the level you go. What they say doesn't hold much water for me and I give more weight to what they actually do when they have skin in the game. Bottom line is that just because you think a player is going to get the opportunity to keep their job and a bunch of coaches of little to no consequence say so doesn't make it so.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I think there is some merit to your argument, but it's not as concrete as you probably believe. I did not play football, but I played baseball competitively through college. People did in fact lose their starting positions while injured, but not everyone. Generally speaking, whether that player got a legitimate shot to keep the job depended on either their pre-injury output being considerably better than the replacement (Think WAR stat in basebball) or extreme progress in practice that went beyond what coaches had seen prior to the injury. I saw this a lot with pitchers, and occasionally with position players.

Like I said, I can't speak to football, but I imagine that Yates is going to continue to get starts unless/until he plays poorly in a game or Sims drastically improves in practice. It's not apples and apples to Eason/Fromm injury wise, but similar the Eason losing his job to Fromm, if Yates keeps progressing and starts actually winning games, he's going to be awfully hard to unseat.

Bingo. And sums up what I'm trying to say in a single sentence. Trying to pass it off as some golden rule of coaching that never gets violated is just silly and reeks naivety.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Is Sims still injured? (Sorry if posted elsewhere. )
Staff doesn’t comment on injuries so we would need someone who sees practices to mention if he still has a brace. Or wait till tonight when he warms up to know.

I don’t think there is a chance Yates doesn’t start. He has a pretty big UNC connection and has played well. It would be bruising to not give him the first couple series. If we aren’t scoring, and they are, I expect he’ll be sat for Sims (presuming) he’s able to go.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Per your own words you can't get beat out of the job because you're injured. I've shown you a half dozen examples and now you're changing your story. If Yates is just ok or not very good I'm sure Sims will definitely get his shot as he should. That's not what I'm arguing about. And for the record I don't think Yates' performance at Clemson is enough to move on from Sims and I've said as much previously. But, for example, if Yates throws for 300+ and 4 TDs for the next couple of games if Sims can't play he probably won't. Even if he's better in practice.

I think this is where our fundamental disagreement is. You think you're 100% gonna get that shot to earn your job back when you're healthy. I don't think that's the case if the person who replaced you is playing better than you did when you were healthy or even just playing well at the moment. We've seen it happen. And I'm not sure why you're pulling the 'were you in the practices afterwards?' card. You weren't there either so you have just as much of a leg to stand on as I do on that front.

Fair enough. But it's not really that unique. I gave you a half dozen examples. Would you like another one? Steve Young gets hurt in 1991. Steve Bono comes in and plays well enough to keep the job after Young is healthy. Young only got the job back that year because Bono himself got hurt in the second to last game of the season. He had a 101.8 passer rating that year and still didn't get his job back.

I'd love to hear his thoughts. But I'm sure he's got better things to do then weigh in on a conversation between a couple of internet randos. Sports coaches are one of the most full of **** professions I've ever dealt with. Particularly the lower the level you go. What they say doesn't hold much water for me and I give more weight to what they actually do when they have skin in the game. Bottom line is that just because you think a player is going to get the opportunity to keep their job and a bunch of coaches of little to no consequence say so doesn't make it so.
Okay, don’t take this as me backing off my original position, because I have said from the beginning that Sims will get his shot when healthy.

Do some coaches play fast and loose with this type of a rule, sure they do. But that doesn’t chang the fundamental tenant behind the rule. Brady can arguably be called the greatest QB to play Pro football (🤢). So, that’s an unusual situation because of that.

Other examples aren’t necessarily disagreeing with what I’ve said. We’re not in their practices, so maybe they’ve had their chance and didn’t succeed in holding onto their spot. You talk about Young and Bono, but what we’re their ages? What we’re their guaranteed money? What we’re their salaries? In the Pros, that matters. It college, it’s about who helps you win now, period. Unless you’re in a situation like Sims was in last year where maybe we didn’t play the guy best able to help us win last year. Maybe we did, I wasn’t I the coaches’ meetings.

I think you’ve tied me to a black and white statement, when all rules in life have shades of gray. I’m not backing off my initial statement or that all coaches follow that rule, but at 52, I’m not naive. There are degrees of following and degrees of bending.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
UVA fans would like a word with you.
No, no, no, UVA is the home of CAV MAN and the drink of choice is some kind of cosmopolitan specialty drink that I never heard of. My drink of choice is a Coca Cola (Pepsi does well too) with lots of ice and the water condensing on the outside after I come in from mowing the lawn or playing tennis. Something like Zima or some such for UVA fans.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Our offense isn't any better with Yates no matter which way you slice it. Need to see touchdowns tonight.

That's the facts. Kennesaw State doesn't count.

Quit debating.. we've seen so much hype how we've improved but I don't see it.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand how y'all can still say Sims should be the starter above Yates... Sims had 23 total turnovers last year!!! And already had one this year in his limited playing time that he did have.. Yates has 0 turnovers in 75 pass attempts and 32 carries! It's hard to beat anybody when you're constantly giving the other team the ball and keeping our defense on the field! Yates is by far better game manager, better leader and better competitor!

Yikes.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Is this what you were looking for?

Cookie Dancing GIF

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Still stand by it! Not gonna be hard to stop the read option with a good defense and when we’re forced to throw we aren’t going to do well with Sims, unless the receivers are wide open. But Go Jackets!

So if it were up to you, you’d start Yates against Pitt next Saturday?