Jordan Yates

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Because he made throws Yates simply can't and made plays with his legs that Yates can't. Yates does an admirable job keeping the ball in our possession, but we very rarely take any shots whatsoever down field and we call a much safer game. Many more hitches, slants, swing passes that make Yates' job a little easier. With Sims last year, the playcalling was much more open and risk taking. Sims was also a true freshman with NO spring practice at all. Yates is in his 3rd year in the system now, and those things make a difference.
Matt Ryan killed us with those little passes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yea I don't know why anyone gives that platitude any credence. It's just meaningless lip service. And for whatever reason it gets employed with quarterbacks more than any other position in football or in any other sport. If Sims has to miss two or three games and Yates tears it up in that time he should keep the job. Just gotta wait and see what happens.
Sims will get his chance, regardless. It's not a platitude, it's not lip service, and coaches actually follow it. I'm not saying Sims gets well and starts. But he will get his chance to show what he can do. He's not going to be relegated to back up just because Yates has made his play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yates made at least 10 plays against Clemson that Sims has not shown the ability to make. Maybe Sims will put it all together in the future, but Yates seems pretty far ahead at this juncture.
Sims made a hell of a lot of plays against good defenses last year too. It ain't about making plays. I love Sims's athleticism and confidence. He's a highlight reel ready to happen. I've loved Jordan Yates since watching him will his team to a State Championship in HS. Yates has that IT factor that some players just have. He makes the inexplicable happen. Part of it is recognition and reaction. He just seems to see things quicker. I love both of them. Wish Yates were 3 inches taller, a step faster, and had a cannon for an arm. But, then again, if he had all that, he might not have developed the mental side.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is the week 3 ESPN QBR:

Yates was 7th in the ACC last week, and 6th overall. Currently he has a QBR of 68. Tevin Washington’s career QBR was 71. Justin Thomas was 78.2 back in 2016.

Yates has the highest completion percentage I’ve seen on the flats in a while. Yardage is ok, but not many big plays yet. What he needs is points.
How was he 7th in ACC but 6th overall

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims made a hell of a lot of plays against good defenses last year too. It ain't about making plays. I love Sims's athleticism and confidence. He's a highlight reel ready to happen. I've loved Jordan Yates since watching him will his team to a State Championship in HS. Yates has that IT factor that some players just have. He makes the inexplicable happen. Part of it is recognition and reaction. He just seems to see things quicker. I love both of them. Wish Yates were 3 inches taller, a step faster, and had a cannon for an arm. But, then again, if he had all that, he might not have developed the mental side.
"Wish Yates were 3 inches taller, a step faster, and had a cannon for an arm. But, then again, if he had all that, he....." would not have signed with GT to run Paul's option offense.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
"Wish Yates were 3 inches taller, a step faster, and had a cannon for an arm. But, then again, if he had all that, he....." would not have signed with GT to run Paul's option offense.
you never know...but you're probably right.

He could have grown after he signed with GT. It does happen to 18 and 19-year olds. They also can get faster.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that's certainly two good examples. Thanks. I hope he can find some shallower receivers in the middle as well if CDP calls those up.
Starting at about the 11:00 mark in the KSU game, he hits 4 passes in one drive over the middle. 3 are short throws, well delivered. Receivers made plays after the catch.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m happy with what we are seeing from Yates. Sims may be the better QB prospect. He just does not make better decisions. Turnovers will lose us games. I think our defense is improved this year and will keep us in games, as long as we don’t have turnovers. I want smart QB play. As of right now that is Yates. If Sims continues to practice well and Yates has a bad game. Put him in and let’s see, but right now Yates has shown us he is the guy.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree 100%. We are very lucky to have two very fine quarterbacks. I hope they both play a lot from here on out. Bobby Dodd used multiple QBs throughout his career. In the early 50s he played Billy Brigman, Darrell Crawford and Pepper Rogers interchangeably and won a national championship.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
General question for the folks on this board...

I was checking out Yates' stat line and ESPN is crediting him with an INT. I assume this is on the final lateral play of the Clemson game. I always thought that since he passed the line of scrimmage that a lateral that was caught by the other team would count as a fumble and not an INT since it is a backwards pass on a run play.

Or am I just totally wrong and I missed an interception on another play in the game.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
General question for the folks on this board...

I was checking out Yates' stat line and ESPN is crediting him with an INT. I assume this is on the final lateral play of the Clemson game. I always thought that since he passed the line of scrimmage that a lateral that was caught by the other team would count as a fumble and not an INT since it is a backwards pass on a run play.

Or am I just totally wrong and I missed an interception on another play in the game.

It should be a fumble.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Too many overreactions about a quarterback game to game.. I’m waiting for a big body of work for Sophmore-Senior (not freshman) and not going off potential. Sims has talent, Yates has talent. In all honesty none of y’all know which one will finish the year as starter.
I don't know which one will end the year as the starter, but I will say that right now, I prefer seeing Yates behind center. I'm not counting Sims out, though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I like yates because he makes all the receivers believe they may get the ball as they come out of their break. i think they are getting a lot better with yates at qb

In year one no one had played college level wr or qb in the new offense. the oc was blamed for not being prompt in selecting the qb that we would use for years to come - just pick one. The Ol was bad to very bad.
Year 1 = no real qb battle.

In the covid year 2 the oc picked one - Jeff Sims. He made some good plays by reunngi around and hitting some one open apter 7 seconds. Other teams can hit some one woth a pass after 3 seconds. The OL was bad at times.
Year 2 = no real qb battle.

imo, part of the problem has been that the wr were not getting space for him to feel comfortable in making the throw. it has taken a couple of years for the wr to run better routes

Year 3 = a qb battle!
With yates we can get better and better - he could be "the one". but he could reach a ceiling as defenses get film on him.
We could use Yates as a spark when that happens, but until that happens it is great to see passing and catching 3 seconds after the snap.

As we go thru the year - we need both of them ready for Virginia, Duke and Vt as these are season defining games.

Remember
In the final three games of the option - our last 9 completions - 5 to gt and 4 to other team. Things are great! Yates played Clemson and was chased all over - made some weak throws BUT 0 WENT TO CLEMSON AND WHEN HE THRU IT TO OUR GUYS IT HIT THEM RIGHT IN THE BREAD BASKET.

SIMS WATCHING YATES FOR A WHILE COULD BE A GREAT THING.

GO JACKETS

like Milton

LibertyTurns

Banned
@iceeater1969 How did we go from Ahmarean Brown tying Calvin Johnson’s Freshman TD record to not being able to generate any long throws? Seems to me we’ve regressed in that area despite the talent.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
we have enough play makers with our RB's, McGowan, and improving TE that we don't have to rely on a super star QB to carry the O. Just get the ball to the right guys and athletic enough to scramble without making turnovers. So far Yates has done that. Will be interesting to see when Sims is able to go. I like Sims in the red zone when healthy with his running bit Yates is no slouch either.