Jordan Yates

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
He's implying that Sims turns ball over more that Yates does. He has a point
Exactly.. as turnover likely Sims is, Clemson could have ran up the board.. Yates never turned it over and had long drives that ate up a lot of the clock, which allowed us to have the ball longer(barely) than Clemson and rest our defense.

And as far as Yates not scoring a touchdown, look at his completion percentage and passing yards.. against a top 3, if not #1 defense!

IMHO it's clear as day who the answer is along with who our defense believes keeps them in the game.. and it ain't Sims..

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.. as turnover likely Sims is, Clemson could have ran up the board.. Yates never turned it over and had long drives that ate up a lot of the clock, which allowed us to have the ball longer(barely) than Clemson and rest our defense.

And as far as Yates not scoring a touchdown, look at his completion percentage and passing yards.. against a top 3, if not #1 defense!
Look I like Yates and think he should start , but ask yourself and go back and look at past games does Coach P call the same plays for both QB's ? I think you will see that he seems to gambles more with Sims and plays it safe with Yates. Now I'm not told what plays he calls and maybe Sims looks down field more than Yates. A coach needs to put his players in position to do their best and if they are not running the plays that are called then it's up to the coach to bench that player.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Because he made throws Yates simply can't and made plays with his legs that Yates can't. Yates does an admirable job keeping the ball in our possession, but we very rarely take any shots whatsoever down field and we call a much safer game. Many more hitches, slants, swing passes that make Yates' job a little easier. With Sims last year, the playcalling was much more open and risk taking. Sims was also a true freshman with NO spring practice at all. Yates is in his 3rd year in the system now, and those things make a difference.
Yates made at least 10 plays against Clemson that Sims has not shown the ability to make. Maybe Sims will put it all together in the future, but Yates seems pretty far ahead at this juncture.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims has also made plays against Clemson that Yates hasn’t shown the ability to make. Maybe we start Yates against UNC and score 40, or maybe we start him and score zero touchdowns again. Idk. But from what I’ve seen, Sims gives us a better chance of scoring points.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like Yates a lot and always have. I was very glad he decided to stick with his commitment when The Change took place. He would have been absolute murder in the spread option and he isn't shabby doing what he did in high school. Oth …

The Clemson game was his second start. He also came in against NIU, of course, but starting is different. He still needs to show he can drive us to scores against decent Ds, like the one we'll face this Saturday. And he'll need to do that, btw; UNC scores a lot of points. So what I'm saying is that he still has some things to prove. I think our chances to get to 4 - 6 wins are better with him at QB, however that really does remain to be seen.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Look I like Yates and think he should start , but ask yourself and go back and look at past games does Coach P call the same plays for both QB's ? I think you will see that he seems to gambles more with Sims and plays it safe with Yates. Now I'm not told what plays he calls and maybe Sims looks down field more than Yates. A coach needs to put his players in position to do their best and if they are not running the plays that are called then it's up to the coach to bench that player.
Or does Sims let his high school rating/hype get to him and make himself think he has to make big plays to support the hype, when he doesn't and just end up turning the ball over?

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims has also made plays against Clemson that Yates hasn’t shown the ability to make. Maybe we start Yates against UNC and score 40, or maybe we start him and score zero touchdowns again. Idk. But from what I’ve seen, Sims gives us a better chance of scoring points.

That's one play... and he was 6-13 for 81 yards (59 of which was that one play) with one TD and one INT... along with 13 carries for -23 yards and 3 fumbles, 2 lost.

Sims does not give us a better chance against better defenses

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Or does Sims let his high school rating/hype get to him and make himself think he has to make big plays to support the hype, when he doesn't and just end up turning the ball over?
If you want to make sh*t about a player player that up to you. All I said was look at the play calling to see if it's the same. Or the way you think may be we should only recruit 1 and 2 star players so they don't believe the hype they get in high school.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
If you want to make sh*t about a player player that up to you. All I said was look at the play calling to see if it's the same. Or the way you think may be we should only recruit 1 and 2 star players so they don't believe the hype they get in high school.
Not what I was implying... I was just stating a question that could possibly be the problem! He's feeling more pressure bc he got a lot of hype and was a 4* recruit that got thrown into a starting role as a freshman, so I was asking is it possible he's letting the pressure from his hype get to him to feel like he needs to make big plays?

Wasn't intentionally bashing him in that post

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
That's one play... and he was 6-13 for 81 yards (59 of which was that one play) with one TD and one INT... along with 13 carries for -23 yards and 3 fumbles, 2 lost.

Sims does not give us a better chance against better defenses
Plus, there's no reason to think Yates couldn't have made that throw. Camp beat his man and had 3/4 of the width of the field to work with since the safeties both bit on the play action.

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh come on, if you like Yates that is fine but there is no reason to cut down another Tech player and make something up. No one knows what would have happen.
"...but there is no reason to cut down another Tech player..."
I'm with 81 here.
There are two things I have learned in my 18 months hanging with you guys;
1) Tech fans hate each other
2) Do not criticize players....unless they are offensive linemen... with them, it is always "open season, no limit" around the Swarm... :cool:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If they bench Yates after last week, the coaches will have lost almost all of the good will they gained from last week.
No one is saying Yates will get benched. But, whenever Sims is well, he'll get his chance. That's how the game is played. I will die on this hill until @Ibeeballin or @bikeseat or some other verified football player tells me I'm wrong.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How will Yates do in the next 2 games?

His counterparts are the highly experienced UNC and Pitt qbs who are playing for draft round status = $$$$.

They will do a lot better than the big freshman foot shooting Clemson qb).

They are going to score and could score quickly at end of game.

Clemson was trying to sack Yates and get the rbs in the backfield. He was running for life and they lost outside containment (no fear of big run).

At Clemson the take away for me about Yates was his Accuracy and Timing. He was exceptional.

imo unc/pitt will be focused on defending the run and keeping Yates in the pocket. They will be happy if we are forced to make long AD LIB passes.

The question for Yates in this game - when he has to make a long throw - will he be accurate and will he receivers be on the same page?

If we play error free on the offensive side of the ball and the OC makes them defend the edges we can stay with the 2 pro caliber qbs. Got to suck the safeties up and then see if we can make some big plays.

I believe we can do this.
Don't lose faith in your GT defense. Maybe they'll just rise up and show you that Clemson's offense wasn't clicking because of their competition, not because of their ineptitude.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
To me the opposite is true. With a weak OL it’s going to be difficult to sustain drives. We need more big plays, which I think Sims can provide better than Yates. But that’s just my opinion.
You could be right, but with a weak Oline Yates has proven he can generate offense (needs better play calling in the red zone) and Sims has yet to demonstrate he can handle the OL chaos result.