Jordan Yates

slugboy

Staff member
Yates has the football IQ and intangibles that can‘t be taught or coached. He is the perfect college QB. I am not interested in watching Sims make mistakes just so we can watch the coaches try to make him into an “NFL QB”. It’s not going to happen.

If you can’t teach or coach football IQ and good decision making, why do you have coaches?

(The things that Yates is doing are exactly some of the things that coaches teach)

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok so can we run two quarterbacks now.. Sims for the deep ball and long strides and Yates for the gamesmanship?

I'd like to see Sims take this opportunity to propel himself to the next level like the NIU loss did to the team.

FYI, don't ever throw away one QB or another or one will become Joe Burrow on another team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Sims has a higher ceiling but there is not guarantee he can reach it. In particular, the turnovers just hurt us with him. We wrote that up to inexperience last year but it was still a problem against NIU and was one of the factors that cost us the game. Yates has the intangibles and decision making ability to be a starting college football quarterback. The team will win more games with Yates at the helm.
This doesn’t make any sense. There was a mesh fumble. Mesh fumbles are not just on the QB. The fumble did not result I. Anything but a lost possession. Turnovers were not the issue with Sims against NIU, inaccurate passes and bad decisions were. We’re you watching the same game?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Sims has a higher ceiling but there is not guarantee he can reach it. In particular, the turnovers just hurt us with him. We wrote that up to inexperience last year but it was still a problem against NIU and was one of the factors that cost us the game. Yates has the intangibles and decision making ability to be a starting college football quarterback. The team will win more games with Yates at the helm.
This doesn’t make any sense. There was a mesh fumble. Mesh fumbles are not just on the QB. The fumble did not result I. Anything but a lost possession. Turnovers were not the issue with Sims against NIU, inaccurate passes and bad decisions were. We’re you watching the same game?
The one who is performing the best. Since the beginning of football this is how its always been done. Sims will be given every chance to earn his job back but you don’t replace a player who is getting it done.
yes, but the rule has always been you don’t lose your starting position to injury. So, when Sims is ready, expect to see both. Sims will have a short leash.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
yes, but the rule has always been you don’t lose your starting position to injury. So, when Sims is ready, expect to see both. Sims will have a short leash.
You may not lose your job because of an injury, but I think you can lose it if the replacement comes in and plays better than you. That's what I've seen with Yates. He has played better in 2.5 games than Sims played in any 2.5 game stretch.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So far our three games this year are.

A game against a bad UNI team where Yates played clearly better than Sims but still came up short in terms of a win. Not entirely his fault, but a lack of playmaking puts pressure on everyone else to not make mistakes as well.

A game against an FCS team where Yates played well. Hard to put much importance on this game due to the level of competition and Sims never playing against an FCS team.

A game against Clemson where Yates played pretty well but failed to find the endzone and resulted in a loss despite the defense and special teams playing as well as could be hoped for, imo.

I think it's fair to say at the moment that Yates is more consistent, but we've yet to see that consistency translate to wins (unless you actually think we lose to KSU with Sims). I also think there is a real concern about whether we just need a game manager who is consistent or if we need someone who can go out and make big plays to take the pressure off the rest of the team to have to execute every play for 10 plus plays. I'm sure Yates will still get his chances, but I really wonder if Yates actually gives us a better chance to win or just a better chance to not lose by as much. If our defense/Special teams really are what they looked like against Clemson that would favor Yates.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The starting QB goes on the road to the #6 team in the country, we were 28 pt dogs. He doubles the offensive output of the #2 team did playing at a neutral site. He out produces two allegedly 1st/2nd round NFL draft picks. He gets us to within 1 play of possibly winning, all behind an OL everybody says sucks. He hasn‘t shown us much yet?

Jolly Good Fellow
All coaches say, "you can't lose your position if you are injured."
All players laugh out loud at that BS... Happens all the time on almost every team at every level...Think 1925 Wally Pipp for example....or, better, Tua over Hurts at Alabama
Transfer portal alert...
I have no idea how this situation we have at QB works out but I'm pretty sure one or the other is gone by Jan 1, 2022. Good QBs don't sit in these new times of player free agency.
I'm guessing Geoff goes back to Jeff...then Yates graduates in May (didn't he just get here? How is this possible?) and exits on friendly terms...
....and as Trucker said, this being Ga Tech, Yates becomes Joe Burrow someplace....

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I love Yates he has guts but guys remember Sims was picked by the team as a Captain for some reason. It's great to have 2 QBs but it's also a great way to kill team chemistry ( B** L****)
Makes you want to know who picked him and why? I have no doubt Sims has the tools, but maybe he’s started because he was their recruit?
Lot of head scratching going on at my house.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
All coaches say, "you can't lose your position if you are injured."
All players laugh out loud at that BS... Happens all the time on almost every team at every level...Think 1925 Wally Pipp for example....or, better, Tua over Hurts at Alabama
Transfer portal alert...
I have no idea how this situation we have at QB works out but I'm pretty sure one or the other is gone by Jan 1, 2022. Good QBs don't sit in these new times of player free agency.
I'm guessing Geoff goes back to Jeff...then Yates graduates in May (didn't he just get here? How is this possible?) and exits on friendly terms...
....and as Trucker said, this being Ga Tech, Yates becomes Joe Burrow someplace....
The future is now. Let tomorrow take care of tomorrow. You can sacrifice today to plan for tomorrow and it may never come. It's only fair to the rest of the team to put your best guy in there for winning right now.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you can’t teach or coach football IQ and good decision making, why do you have coaches?

(The things that Yates is doing are exactly some of the things that coaches teach)

I am a math teacher. I can help everyone (who doesn't actively resist) improve. What I can't do anything about is their innate abilities and comprehension. Not everybody starts at the same place with their ability to process and understand (in FB, mth or even life). In fact, I can usually tell within the first month of school who "gets it" and who who can eventually do it through sheer effort. You can give a person with math ability a problem that they haven't seen before (within reaason of course) and they can reason through it if they know underlying concepts. A person without the knack can replicate what they have been taught only. It is a HUGE difference imo. (I think the academic purists would regurgitate at this blasphemy but it is what I believe through experience.)

So coaches can improve these things. But people bring different things to the table so if a coach can improve football IQ and decision making by a hypothetical 25% in a year, that doesn't make everyone equal. The gap between Joe and Tom remains a constant at the end of the year. my thoughts are not popular on these things but, as stated above, I believe them 100% based on my life experiences.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Makes you want to know who picked him and why? I have no doubt Sims has the tools, but maybe he’s started because he was their recruit?
Lot of head scratching going on at my house.
A captain is a leader and a team player. Not doubting Sims is both of those.
If he's a leader and a team player, he'll do his best, be ready to play at all times, and accept the coach's decision.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You may not lose your job because of an injury, but I think you can lose it if the replacement comes in and plays better than you. That's what I've seen with Yates. He has played better in 2.5 games than Sims played in any 2.5 game stretch.
Nope. That’s not how it works. Sims will have an opportunity to keep his job. That may be in practice or a game, but he’ll have a chance.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Transfer portal alert...

You may be right. However, the transfer portal seems to work out well for those guys sitting the pines at OSU, bama, Uga, etc. (Burrows, Fields, Hurts, etc....ie the blue chip players caught behind other blue chippers). But the lower rated recruits at the tier 2 and 3 teams, not so much. Look at what happened to James Graham after he left (although, to be fair and honest, I do not know the full details). But a lot of guys take this route and are never heard from again. Or they are like the kid at Miami or the Uva kid who went to Uga. The success of a handful of guys skews perception of what typically happens (imo). however, I get that all these guys think that they ARE "the guy" and since you only get one shot (as Eminem once said) I have no issue with them taking that gamble. In fact, it may be preferrable than sitting on the bench and being an attitude problem.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Look I'm not picking one over the other , But Sims was the starter got hurt Yates plays very good. Now lets say Sims is fine after next week looks better in practice the players picked him as team captain now which one do you pick, The player who has done well in a few games but not as good in practice that is not a good message for players. practice doesn't matter just the games or the one who was the starter before he got hurt and has had a better showing in practice also not a good message to send to the players that practice doesn't mean anything if you get hurt to bad. ( when the time comes we will see CGC earn his money without losing part of the team.
Yeah, that’s fine. Like I said, give Sims every chance to earn it back. But don’t reward Sims just because he’s healthy again and don’t punish the one getting it done just because you have some future vision of how Sims might perform.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, that’s fine. Like I said, give Sims every chance to earn it back. But don’t reward Sims just because he’s healthy again and don’t punish the one getting it done just because you have some future vision of how Sims might perform.
In my very first job with management responsibilty, I was given the task of downsizing my small department of maybe 30 people. I had 3 people capable of doing a specific task that was critical to our role. One voluntereed to take early retirement so I was forced to keep 1 of the 2 remaining. I chose the one that (I thought) had the higher upside over the one who was consistent, steady, reliable, etc. but who did not have much upside. That was 30 years ago and I still regret that decision. Ever since, I disregard "potential" and look instead at what you actually do day in and day out. That is the greatest predictor of success.