Jordan Yates

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I don’t see how you take Yates out unless he has like two catastrophic games in a row. He pretty much played two as close to perfect games as possible in a row, considering the competition and circumstances of both opponents(one being really outmanned, one with us being really outmanned).

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I don’t see how you take Yates out unless he has like two catastrophic games in a row. He pretty much played two as close to perfect games as possible in a row, considering the competition and circumstances of both opponents(one being really outmanned, one with us being really outmanned).

I agree. But I do worry about the message to Sims. There is a danger to having someone lose their position when they are out for an injury. I was talking to the lovely lady who continues to stay at my house despite me, and we discussed if it makes sense to utilize the fact that we have two different good QBs to make it difficult to prepare for us. Are you prepping for Yates more California possession-based offense, or Sims big play offense? Maybe even have packages that utilize both.

And, I know, when you have two QBs you don't have a QB. But that's only true when it is...I think if the players are willing to do it there is no reason you couldn't have a Sims-Gibbs package and a Yates-Mason package.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But I do worry about the message to Sims. There is a danger to having someone lose their position when they are out for an injury. I was talking to the lovely lady who continues to stay at my house despite me, and we discussed if it makes sense to utilize the fact that we have two different good QBs to make it difficult to prepare for us. Are you prepping for Yates more California possession-based offense, or Sims big play offense? Maybe even have packages that utilize both.

And, I know, when you have two QBs you don't have a QB. But that's only true when it is...I think if the players are willing to do it there is no reason you couldn't have a Sims-Gibbs package and a Yates-Mason package.

I realize Sims has a higher ceiling, but every possible win is a struggle for us right now and I think having the more consistent player is the way to go at this stage of the program. If that means Sims doesn’t stick around, that sucks, but I think that’s a risk worth taking if it means we can scrap together a few wins, or even a bowl appearance. Similar to how “the money” believe it’s now time to win, I believe a lot of recruits are feeling that too. Winning a few more games this year is crucial to showing everyone that the rebuild is actually progressing.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Works both ways. There's also a danger to having someone perform at a higher level than his competition, only to be relegated to his place on the bench. You have to choose one, so I think Yates is the guy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I realize Sims has a higher ceiling, but every possible win is a struggle for us right now and I think having the more consistent player is the way to go at this stage of the program. If that means Sims doesn’t stick around, that sucks, but I think that’s a risk worth taking if it means we can scrap together a few wins, or even a bowl appearance. Similar to how “the money” believe it’s now time to win, I believe a lot of recruits are feeling that too. Winning a few more games this year is crucial to showing everyone that the rebuild is actually progressing.
Think twice ( before you answer) you are the Head Coach with 4 more years which do you play now ?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Without a doubt. At Clemson with terrible blocking and comes out with the best performance by a qb against that team this season. Completed tough passes, ran when he needed to, never turned it over, and pretty much made the right read (or a solid read) on every play.

Couldn't have asked for more from him. Let's just translate this to next week and get a W against a very strong UNC team. If we are 2-2 after 4 games, we are back on schedule per most of our expectations.
👆

This. End of story.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Think twice ( before you answer) you are the Head Coach with 4 more years which do you play now ?

Yates. I just said that. I think another 3 or 4 win season would be a lot more detrimental to recruiting than a lot of people here would have you believe. You can only sell a rebuild for so long, especially to kids who want to win. We need to win a few more games this year to in turn, sure up the future.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Just one idiot fan’s opinion:
There’s no QB controversy. The coaches still believe Sims is the #1 guy (and so do I). Sims just wasn’t healthy enough Saturday, and it’s smarter to use him as a decoy so that opposing defenses have to prepare for him than to just say he’s not fully recovered yet. Love the effort and poise from Yates; we can definitely complete with him in. Sims has a much higher ceiling and will start once healthy.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I love Yates he has guts but guys remember Sims was picked by the team as a Captain for some reason. It's great to have 2 QBs but it's also a great way to kill team chemistry ( B** L****)
I didn’t realize picking a starting QB was supposed to be a popularity contest. Leaving the best performer on the bench is a good way to kill team chemistry.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The one who is performing the best. Since the beginning of football this is how its always been done. Sims will be given every chance to earn his job back but you don’t replace a player who is getting it done.
Look I'm not picking one over the other , But Sims was the starter got hurt Yates plays very good. Now lets say Sims is fine after next week looks better in practice the players picked him as team captain now which one do you pick, The player who has done well in a few games but not as good in practice that is not a good message for players. practice doesn't matter just the games or the one who was the starter before he got hurt and has had a better showing in practice also not a good message to send to the players that practice doesn't mean anything if you get hurt to bad. ( when the time comes we will see CGC earn his money without losing part of the team.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
You talk about folks hidden on the OL. I saw Lay in the game a few times. I know he filled in admirably last year during some injuries/COVID but you have to wonder why we are still playing walkons with a full compliment of scholarship OL available.
Lay actually started the game yesterday at guard (see the participation report). I was surprised to see that however have to trust the coaches belief in that he earned the playing time.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If the message is What’s Important Now, then results on the field matter.

When Sims is healthy again if he is showing out in practice he will get snaps in the game. It’s how it has always been and will always be.

The only question (in my mind) is the shortening of the hook Sims will have moving forward. Turnovers aren’t going to continue to be allowed. You can bet on that.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Yates has the football IQ and intangibles that can‘t be taught or coached. He is the perfect college QB. I am not interested in watching Sims make mistakes just so we can watch the coaches try to make him into an “NFL QB”. It’s not going to happen.