Jordan Yates

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
He is better than I thought. I think the Coaches built Sims up to be the savior of the program and now they have a QB controversy on their hands.

Go Jackets!
Agreed. Sims has a higher ceiling but there is not guarantee he can reach it. In particular, the turnovers just hurt us with him. We wrote that up to inexperience last year but it was still a problem against NIU and was one of the factors that cost us the game. Yates has the intangibles and decision making ability to be a starting college football quarterback. The team will win more games with Yates at the helm.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope folks recognize how impressive his performance was, given how badly the OL was manhandled.
Without a doubt. At Clemson with terrible blocking and comes out with the best performance by a qb against that team this season. Completed tough passes, ran when he needed to, never turned it over, and pretty much made the right read (or a solid read) on every play.

Couldn't have asked for more from him. Let's just translate this to next week and get a W against a very strong UNC team. If we are 2-2 after 4 games, we are back on schedule per most of our expectations.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
At this stage in the rebuild I think we just need someone solid. I was a big Sims fan and TBH I thought we were completely screwed when I first saw Yates come in vs NIU. I will happily eat crow about that now. I understand that Sims has a higher ceiling than Yates, but we need a dude that just knows how to get it done right now. A lot of people say Deshaun Watson pushed Clemson to the top tier and I agree with that, but Deshaun needed a Tajh Boyd to lay the framework first. I think Yates may be our Tajh Boyd.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The only reason Yates never got a chance to compete for the starting QB job in the first place is because of how he looks in pads next to Sims. I mean, that’s not a minor thing as size and strength obviously matter. But it really is crazy how many limited game reps Yates he’s gotten until now in the CGC regime.

I’m sure Yates has gotten a lot better, but at one point he was literally 4th string behind Graham, Lucas Johnson, and Tobias. If he even gets a little more playing time over the last two seasons he’d be even better now. Water under the bridge but still odd he never even got a true shot when we were struggling at QB.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The only reason Yates never got a chance to compete for the starting QB job in the first place is because of how he looks in pads next to Sims. I mean, that’s not a minor thing as size and strength obviously matter. But it really is crazy how many limited game reps Yates he’s gotten until now in the CGC regime.

I’m sure Yates has gotten a lot better, but at one point he was literally 4th string behind Graham, Lucas Johnson, and Tobias. If he even gets a little more playing time over the last two seasons he’d be even better now. Water under the bridge but still odd he never even got a true shot when we were struggling at QB.
I don’t think that’s true. He looks way better this year than he did in his limited appearances last year. In 2019, I think he was redshirted because the whole offense was a ****show, and Collins didn’t want to waste a year of Yates’ eligibility. And given that there’s no guarantee he’ll get beaten out, that decision has a good chance at paying off. I’m glad that he can start for us for another 3 seasons after this one if needed.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s true. He looks way better this year than he did in his limited appearances last year. In 2019, I think he was redshirted because the whole offense was a ****show, and Collins didn’t want to waste a year of Yates’ eligibility. And given that there’s no guarantee he’ll get beaten out, that decision has a good chance at paying off. I’m glad that he can start for us for another 3 seasons after this one if needed.
Part of my thought process is how our coaches talk about him. Either way, I think we can both agree that had Sims stayed healthy and played at an above-average level, Yates might’ve not gotten a legitimate snap this year.

Also it’s really hard to come in at QB and play well in the limited snaps he had last year on a horrible team.

I’m sure the coaches thought Sims beat Yates out. But was it Sims’ potential that beat him out? Sims already has significantly more college game experience than Yates, and Yates looks like he’s on a completely different level out there. And I’m not sure we would’ve ever known that if Sims didn’t get hurt this year.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of my thought process is how our coaches talk about him. Either way, I think we can both agree that had Sims stayed healthy and played at an above-average level, Yates might’ve not gotten a legitimate snap this year.

Also it’s really hard to come in at QB and play well in the limited snaps he had last year on a horrible team.

I’m sure the coaches thought Sims beat Yates out. But was it Sims’ potential that beat him out? Sims already has significantly more college game experience than Yates, and Yates looks like he’s on a completely different level out there. And I’m not sure we would’ve ever known that if Sims didn’t get hurt this year.
That’s fair. The truth is that we don’t know how Sims would have played in Yates’ place this year. In the NIU game, he didn’t seem like himself or like the coaches had described. Maybe he would have continued the inaccurate throws or maybe he would have settled down and run the offense really well with his athleticism creating extra wrinkles that make it hard to defend. Yates has clearly improved a lot in both his mastery of the offense and his accuracy, but that doesn’t mean that Sims didn’t still legitimately beat him out in the offseason. I’ll just say that we’re lucky to have both of them and that neither has hit his ceiling yet. But Yates has earned the right to be our starting QB for the time being at least.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I have seen. I can't beleive Yates didn;t start the season. He is more polished, accurate throwing, knows the offense and is a better leader. The OC scared me right before the season started saying Sims was still making head scratcher decisions. Yates undoubtedly should be the QB. I thought he played really well yesterday and we should have unleashed him a bit more than we did. I understand the conservatism early given field position and wantng to stay in the game but as game bore on, it was obvious he had his emotions and thinking under control so let him rip. We were too conservative.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I was a big Sims fan and TBH I thought we were completely screwed when I first saw Yates come in vs NIU. I will happily eat crow about that now.

You changed your mind on something based on personal observation rather than make the observation fit your preconceptions???? My good man, you are an anamoly on the internet. Congratulations. I didn't think there were any more freethinkers around. We need more of your type here in cyberspace.

BTW, most of us were unsure about Yates. But I think he the most critical component for being a succesful QB and that trait cannot be taught. It's inherent imo.

LibertyTurns

Banned
From what I have seen. I can't beleive Yates didn;t start the season. He is more polished, accurate throwing, knows the offense and is a better leader. The OC scared me right before the season started saying Sims was still making head scratcher decisions. Yates undoubtedly should be the QB. I thought he played really well yesterday and we should have unleashed him a bit more than we did. I understand the conservatism early given field position and wantng to stay in the game but as game bore on, it was obvious he had his emotions and thinking under control so let him rip. We were too conservative.
Yeah it’s hard to be enamored with the staff’s personnel choices. There’s all the hype, then you watch the performance on the field. We got Yates, Dontae and you have to wonder else what may be lurking particularly on the OL that’s riding the pine watching someone else struggle eating up all the snaps.

This game at least has restored some patience in my mind as we wait to see how player development and the starting line ups, playing time unfolds. I wasn’t expecting much other than being able to point to a couple things & say “there’s improvement”. We found a QB, we should have erased doubts that Dontae is just a garbage time stat machine, Charlie Thomas is leading by example, etc.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The real head scratcher with me is our OC in the "Red Zone". There seems to be a real pattern here, I know Clemson is tough in the RZ, but I'm not just speaking about the Clemson game, I'm looking back since CDP has arrived, there seems to be a pattern here of real head scratchers of what the hell are you doing fella?? Also what are you doing trying to run Mason wide against a team like Clemson, listen I love JM but lets face it he ain't the swiftest in the room. CDP seems to do really well outside the RZ, but we go in the tank with our play calling and execution in the RZ. Again I understand nobody does well against Clemson in RZ.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the 'Effort-based' is part of the reason we see better game-players not getting playing time. The staff likes the idea that you earn playing time by effort in practice. That's good when everyone is equally talented, but I've hired many of a 3.9 grad who studied hard to get the grades and found that the 3.1 engineer who is super-sharp just gets-it more and delivers better outcomes (creative solutions, insights into problems, ability to see patterns, etc.)

Practicing hard is nice, but only results matter on Saturday.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The real head scratcher with me is our OC in the "Red Zone". There seems to be a real pattern here, I know Clemson is tough in the RZ, but I'm not just speaking about the Clemson game, I'm looking back since CDP has arrived, there seems to be a pattern here of real head scratchers of what the hell are you doing fella?? Also what are you doing trying to run Mason wide against a team like Clemson, listen I love JM but lets face it he ain't the swiftest in the room. CDP seems to do really well outside the RZ, but we go in the tank with our play calling and execution in the RZ. Again I understand nobody does well against Clemson in RZ.
Hard to be real good in the Red Zone when your OL is the weakest part of the team.

DEJacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
The Sims vs Yates battle reminds me of the Trask vs Franks QB battle at UF a couple years ago. Sims is obviously the more athletic quarterback and looks the part of a big time QB while Yates is less athletic but makes decisions that aren’t going to cost the team games.

901jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah it’s hard to be enamored with the staff’s personnel choices. There’s all the hype, then you watch the performance on the field. We got Yates, Dontae and you have to wonder else what may be lurking particularly on the OL that’s riding the pine watching someone else struggle eating up all the snaps.

This game at least has restored some patience in my mind as we wait to see how player development and the starting line ups, playing time unfolds. I wasn’t expecting much other than being able to point to a couple things & say “there’s improvement”. We found a QB, we should have erased doubts that Dontae is just a garbage time stat machine, Charlie Thomas is leading by example, etc.
You talk about folks hidden on the OL. I saw Lay in the game a few times. I know he filled in admirably last year during some injuries/COVID but you have to wonder why we are still playing walkons with a full compliment of scholarship OL available.