Jordan Usher is a beast.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wanted to give a shout-out to Jordan Usher and his play of late. We have definitely seen the "rise of the house of Usher!" Last year, he played fast and sometimes out-of-control. This year, he has kept that quickness and explosiveness, but harnessed it in a way that is controlled and in the flow of the game. I have really been impressed by how much he has upped his game--his court vision, his aggressiveness, his relentless defense, his improved shot, etc. Some of dunks have even been "Ish"-worthy (for those who remember Ish Muhammed).

I have no idea if he will move on or stay for the extra year, but if he does, I can definitely see him being our emotional team leader next year (taking the role that Jose has mostly played this year) and even being all-conference if he continues to get better.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just wanted to give a shout-out to Jordan Usher and his play of late. We have definitely seen the "rise of the house of Usher!" Last year, he played fast and sometimes out-of-control. This year, he has kept that quickness and explosiveness, but harnessed it in a way that is controlled and in the flow of the game. I have really been impressed by how much he has upped his game--his court vision, his aggressiveness, his relentless defense, his improved shot, etc. Some of dunks have even been "Ish"-worthy (for those who remember Ish Muhammed).

I have no idea if he will move on or stay for the extra year, but if he does, I can definitely see him being our emotional team leader next year (taking the role that Jose has mostly played this year) and even being all-conference if he continues to get better.

Go Jackets!

Bro, this train left the station a while ago. You just now jumping on?

Kidding. Usher has become an important part of this team. He's our X-factor. When he's on, it takes the pressure off our Big 3 (Jose, Moses, Devoe). As we saw against Syracuse, when Usher is playing well, he takes up slack if one of our Big 3 isn't on that day. If he's on, and our Big 3 are on, it's usually a blowout. Outside of his scoring, he's just a really good defender, and and plays with high energy at all times. As others have pointed out, he's taking a bit of an emotional leadership role lately as well.

I hope he stays another season. As I mentioned in another thread, he's just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. He got by with his almost elite athleticism last year and early this year, but now he's become a better overall basketball player. It's kind of the blossoming we saw the second half of last season with Moses. You look at the stat line he had against Syracuse (19pts, 7 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals) and you think about how that really is what we should see out of him more often. The ability is there.

GT11

GT Athlete

Kidding. Usher has become an important part of this team. He's our X-factor. When he's on, it takes the pressure off our Big 3 (Jose, Moses, Devoe). As we saw against Syracuse, when Usher is playing well, he takes up slack if one of our Big 3 isn't on that day. If he's on, and our Big 3 are on, it's usually a blowout. Outside of his scoring, he's just a really good defender, and and plays with high energy at all times. As others have pointed out, he's taking a bit of an emotional leadership role lately as well.

I hope he stays another season. As I mentioned in another thread, he's just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. He got by with his almost elite athleticism last year and early this year, but now he's become a better overall basketball player. It's kind of the blossoming we saw the second half of last season with Moses. You look at the stat line he had against Syracuse (19pts, 7 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals) and you think about how that really is what we should see out of him more often. The ability is there.
Again I said this when he came. Some of the know it alls said was crazy. He’ just like Jose. Both have that energy and heart it needs to win. I’ll take that type anytime. Did you hear him on the radio? Very articulate young man

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Again I said this when he came. Some of the know it alls said was crazy. He’ just like Jose. Both have that energy and heart it needs to win. I’ll take that type anytime. Did you hear him on the radio? Very articulate young man

You certainly did.

Special shout out to @bos :

Watched him at Wheeler while Pastner was all over that team recruiting mainly Jordan Tucker. Usher is not the most polished basketball player technically. He doesn't do any one thing great but does a lot of things well. He won't light it up, but can hit the three. His greatest attributes is his body and athleticism. He will be the most athletic guy on the team day one. Watch out of some exciting alley oops from Alvarado this time next year. Excited!

I think the one thing he did since that evaluation is he worked on his offensive game. He certainly has some nice tools in his offensive arsenal now...especially driving to the basket. His versatility that was pointed out in the comment is certainly true...and we see that he does a LOT of things well.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I have truly been impressed with the player development from this staff. The improvement for Jordan from last year to this year has been a thing of beauty. He affects the game in a number of ways. His offensive game is much better than last year. I have probably been most impressed with his court vision and passing. He has played excellent defense while at times guarding guys much bigger than him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yes he is.
Give your son an extra attaboy from us next time you talk to him please sir. He has really developed into a big time piece for our team. I couldn't be happier to see him improving (for us and for your family too).

I am curious, if you can shed some light on his development here. Do you get the sense it is him maturing, or has our staff worked with him on specific things to draw out and improve the developmental pace he has had? I am curious, because I do think Coach Rev is one of the best in the business, but it is hard to tell how much a difference just being with the team an extra year and learning the role he fills best for us has versus intentional, focused coaching.

Either way, wish you and your's the best, and Go Jackets!

HenryUsher

Georgia Tech Fan
Give your son an extra attaboy from us next time you talk to him please sir. He has really developed into a big time piece for our team. I couldn't be happier to see him improving (for us and for your family too).

I am curious, if you can shed some light on his development here. Do you get the sense it is him maturing, or has our staff worked with him on specific things to draw out and improve the developmental pace he has had? I am curious, because I do think Coach Rev is one of the best in the business, but it is hard to tell how much a difference just being with the team an extra year and learning the role he fills best for us has versus intentional, focused coaching.

Either way, wish you and your's the best, and Go Jackets!
He credits all the coaching staff , he thinks they are all top notch. But coach Wilkins is his dude. Transfers take time to get comfortable in a new scheme and system. All good. Go 🐝

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Was he on Packer & Durham, or somewhere else?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Usher is crushing it statistically but one thing you can’t quantify is his impact on team energy. His energy is contagious. You just see it coming. A steal and sprint out, or Jose and Usher making eye contact on a forth coming alley oop. Makes you get up out of your seat in anticipation. He can change the momentum in the game in one play at any time.

said it another thread, but really wish we could have live crowds. This team, and Usher in particular, bring some energy. You watch teams like Cuse and UVA suck the life out of games, and don’t really miss the live crowd. But when you watch GT...good lord, these boys bring some energy!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

He also plays a vital role in getting the others going. This version of Jordan is quickly becoming one of our most important players.

His ability to guard in the paint has allowed our small ball line up succeed. He’s really been good for us this year.