Jon Gruden?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Jon Gruden said in an interview with the Ocala Star Banner, that I saw on Bleacher Report (take all that with a grain of salt), that he would like to coach again. Now, if CPJ does indeed get fired (I'm not saying he will), how would y'all feel about Jon Gruden? Would he even consider it?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
As much as I like listening to Gruden and his obvious football knowledge I do wonder just how good a collegiate coach he would be. Certainly he's smooth and a good communicator but he has never had to be a recruiter, father figure, alumni smoozer and all the other things that go into being a collegiate head coach other than being a coach. He would be a top choice and any program but I can't see him accepting a position at anywhere but the likes of USC or Bama or TX. Oh and one other thing that's interesting about his coaching ability is despite the Super Bowl team his overall record as a head coach is 95-81 a rather pedestrian winning percentage of 53.9%.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Jon Gruden said in an interview with the Ocala Star Banner, that I saw on Bleacher Report (take all that with a grain of salt), that he would like to coach again. Now, if CPJ does indeed get fired (I'm not saying he will), how would y'all feel about Jon Gruden? Would he even consider it?

Not going to happen. Seriously.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
As much as I like listening to Gruden and his obvious football knowledge I do wonder just how good a collegiate coach he would be. Certainly he's smooth and a good communicator but he has never had to be a recruiter, father figure, alumni smoozer and all the other things that go into being a collegiate head coach other than being a coach. He would be a top choice and any program but I can't see him accepting a position at anywhere but the likes of USC or Bama or TX. Oh and one other thing that's interesting about his coaching ability is despite the Super Bowl team his overall record as a head coach is 95-81 a rather pedestrian winning percentage of 53.9%.
You're not serious about his football knowledge right? He won the SB with Dungy's team and he is the 2nd worst mnf announcer I can remember, just kisses every player on the field's butt. The worst by far was jaws.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You're not serious about his football knowledge right? He won the SB with Dungy's team and he is the 2nd worst mnf announcer I can remember, just kisses every player on the field's butt. The worst by far was jaws.

Yes I was serious about his football knowledge. As to his announcing abilities (or lack thereof) I didn't think to factor that into my post as it wasn't relevant ;)

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ's not getting fired, so this is pretty dumb. Let Vad and Justin develop in this offense and let Roof continue to develop the defense and enjoy the ride.
I never said he was getting fired. Even though I have speculated earlier in the season that I thought he would be fired at the end of the year, looking at the options there isn't a realistic option that I'd rather have than CPJ next year. I made this thread bc I wanted to see what people thought about the idea.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Geez, I think every fanbase has a "What about Jon Gruden?" thread.

If he returns to coaching it'll be to the NFL. That said, why would he return to coaching at all? He's getting paid comparable money and has a no-stress job at which he is apparently wildly successful (based on what they need him to do which is sound knowledgeable to the millions who don't really know the difference).

If on the off chance he goes to college he's certainly not coming to a place like GT where the landscape isn't necessarily set for the head coach to be successful (relative to a place like Bama).