Jon Gruden?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by bat_082994, Oct 27, 2013.

1. bat_082994

bat_082994 Helluva Engineer

Jon Gruden said in an interview with the Ocala Star Banner, that I saw on Bleacher Report (take all that with a grain of salt), that he would like to coach again. Now, if CPJ does indeed get fired (I'm not saying he will), how would y'all feel about Jon Gruden? Would he even consider it?

2. bat_082994

3. Eric

Eric Retired Co-Founder Staff Member

Gruden would land a bigger job than Tech.

4. ATL1

ATL1 Helluva Engineer

Gruden would be the slash hire USC would love.

5. ramblinvak

ramblinvak Helluva Engineer

With his NFL experience and personality, he could easily rival Bama wherever he ends up in recruiting

6. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

As much as I like listening to Gruden and his obvious football knowledge I do wonder just how good a collegiate coach he would be. Certainly he's smooth and a good communicator but he has never had to be a recruiter, father figure, alumni smoozer and all the other things that go into being a collegiate head coach other than being a coach. He would be a top choice and any program but I can't see him accepting a position at anywhere but the likes of USC or Bama or TX. Oh and one other thing that's interesting about his coaching ability is despite the Super Bowl team his overall record as a head coach is 95-81 a rather pedestrian winning percentage of 53.9%.

7. Bigb

Bigb Helluva Engineer

Not going to happen. Seriously.

8. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Gruden would ned bigger guaranteed $'s than GT (or most schools) can/would offer. He loves the gig he has now.

9. GTJason

GTJason Helluva Engineer

You're not serious about his football knowledge right? He won the SB with Dungy's team and he is the 2nd worst mnf announcer I can remember, just kisses every player on the field's butt. The worst by far was jaws.

10. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

Yes I was serious about his football knowledge. As to his announcing abilities (or lack thereof) I didn't think to factor that into my post as it wasn't relevant ;)

11. ToddM

ToddM Guest

Couldn't afford him either way guys, perception is reality and his reputation as a football God is set, deserved or not-I don't know

12. vamosjackets

vamosjackets GT Athlete Featured Member

CPJ's not getting fired, so this is pretty dumb. Let Vad and Justin develop in this offense and let Roof continue to develop the defense and enjoy the ride.

13. bat_082994

I never said he was getting fired. Even though I have speculated earlier in the season that I thought he would be fired at the end of the year, looking at the options there isn't a realistic option that I'd rather have than CPJ next year. I made this thread bc I wanted to see what people thought about the idea.

14. kg01

kg01 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Geez, I think every fanbase has a "What about Jon Gruden?" thread.

If he returns to coaching it'll be to the NFL. That said, why would he return to coaching at all? He's getting paid comparable money and has a no-stress job at which he is apparently wildly successful (based on what they need him to do which is sound knowledgeable to the millions who don't really know the difference).

If on the off chance he goes to college he's certainly not coming to a place like GT where the landscape isn't necessarily set for the head coach to be successful (relative to a place like Bama).