Johnson Back To Basics

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can't wait to read all of ATL1's stunning research on why you HAVE t0 pass to win. Should be riveting and thought-provoking...
We were ranked #121 in pass attempts per game last year. Auburn was ranked #118. We ran the ball 55 times a game last year to their 52. They attempted passes, on average, 5 more times a game than us last year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with you; in fact, I agree with you.

But while "The offense has been fine for the last four years" might be true overall, there were multiple games where that was just not true.

It's a team game and sometimes the defense has to cover for the offense and vice versa. In those 2 games I mentioned, the defense actually outplayed the offense.

Imo, this post reflects why you can make discussions frustrating. You actually agreed with the earlier post to which you had responded that the D has been the problem and the O has been fine but still responded confrontationally.

You also refer to games in 2013 while the OP had challenged 2011 and 2012 O. Our O was down in 2013, but still better than our D. You also chose our games against the #3 and #13 teams in F/+ D.

And, I still think the CU game was as much on the D as the O.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And, I still think the CU game was as much on the D as the O.

Our defense gave up 8.2 yards per play against Clemson. Our offense gained 6.2 yards per play. Defense was abysmal while offense was merely above average. (To be fair, Clemson was a top 10 offense last year.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our defense gave up 8.2 yards per play against Clemson. Our offense gained 6.2 yards per play. Defense was abysmal while offense was merely above average. (To be fair, Clemson was a top 10 offense last year.)

They otherwise only scored 55 on wf (56) and uva (59). However, if you look at ppd, they scored 4ppd against wf, 3.28 ppd ag uva, and 4.23 ag us.

While I don't know about personnel--we were in the game longer than either of them--they scored more efficiently against us than against any other team. Four teams including ncsu an bc held them to fewer than the 31 we scored on them.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
What? That doesn't make any sense.
I was slightly exaggerating. Defense was playing well after giving up a quick first TD, smothering Connette rest of the game. I think we still would've won even if we gave up 4 fumbles.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was slightly exaggerating. Defense was playing well after giving up a quick first TD, smothering Connette rest of the game. I think we still would've won even if we gave up 4 fumbles.

It makes even less sense with your explanation.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
All of a sudden Dukes getting looks from everyone? I doubt they stay in the top of the Coastal. And NC State was horrendous last year. Honestly, if everything goes well, and we have no injuries or woes on the O or D (i hope i didn't just jinx us) i see Tech atop the coastal at 10-2 at the Title game. But maybe I'm just an optimist..

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
GT vs Clemson 2013
Link

Go watch those 2 games and tell me how it was the D's problem in those games. In both games, the defense played decently but the offense was inept.

Not sure I follow you here regarding the Clemson game. The offense started slow, but played okay in the end. The defense was terrible -- really really terrible.

Clemson started the game by scoring on four of its first five possessions. While I will grant you the offense started slow, letting the other team score on four of the first five possessions is not usually a great recipe for success. The offense did finally get going and got it to 27-17 early in the third quarter. With good D and maintained offense, that game was still very much in reach. However, the defense then went on to allow four straight touchdown drives. Game over. The offense managed 14 more points, but it is almost impossible to win any game when the defense allows a team four straight TDs, particularly at a critical time in a comeback effort. Both sides of the ball deserve some blame for the loss, but any attempt to put the majority of the blame on the offense for that game is beyond me.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We left a ton of points on the field against Duke. Some plays their defense gave us and we just could not/did not execute. That was the point when CPJ said we need to get back to what we do and Vad was upset because he thought he had a great passing game. GT was 8 of 16 passes.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Clemson game was tough. GT started off with 4 offensive series in a row of 3's and out. Clemson has a top offense and that many three and outs to start the game is mentally tough on any defense. Don't forget the field position disadvantage of giving up the ball after a 3 and out after a kick off.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
We left a ton of points on the field against Duke. Some plays their defense gave us and we just could not/did not execute. That was the point when CPJ said we need to get back to what we do and Vad was upset because he thought he had a great passing game. GT was 8 of 16 passes.

This is a good assessment as well. I think that getting back to our bread and butter is our best chance of helping the passing game in this offense (and helping us win games for that matter). Some folks don't like Johnson's offense, which is fine. For us to have offensive success under the current head coach, I think we need to get back to basics.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
The basics is what drove opposing DC's nuts the first 5 years with CPJ I am glad to see us going back to them. I will say this though, in the limited time JT was in the game last season I believe against BYU we came out showing the diamond then JT came under center and we ran a kind of quick play and seemed to catch the BYU D off gaurd. Hope to see some of that this season. Really ready for 8/30 for it to be live, the off season is killing me!!