Johnson Back To Basics

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Book 7-6 season 2014.

Bro, I am not a rah-rah type but did you happen to check out the schedule? my intramural team could get 8 wins easy and we all got out over 30 years ago. although we would probably forfeit the games that disrupted cocktail hour.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Bro, I am not a rah-rah type but did you happen to check out the schedule? my intramural team could get 8 wins easy and we all got out over 30 years ago. although we would probably forfeit the games that disrupted cocktail hour.

Not sold. Tulane was a bowl team last year and are opening up their first on campus stadium in like 30 years. I definitely don't think the GSU game will be easy.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-thomas-plans-to-run-triple-option/13516983/

Nothing really new here that hasn't already been discussed. Expect less gun yada yada yada TO yada yada what we do yada yada. Did you really commit to expanding the offense after just one season? Where was this dynamic powerhouse offense in 2012 & 2011? Book 7-6 season 2014.
Say what you will, but the offenses of 2011 and 2012 were better than last year and I'll tell you what it was primarily because of the extra crap that was put in and a QB that was not willing to take a hit; and please don't tell me it was because of the offensive line play as somehow the 2 are in no way related.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the QB play will be better and the OL line will be better. Passing will be better as well.

The QB pass rush is my biggest question mark, but I am going to depend on Freeman to break out early.

I'll take the over and put the floor at 8 wins.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
This season feels like a complete toss up to me. On the one hand, we don't have very much experience, with glaring concerns on the DL. On the other hand, it seems like we have more upside with more talented athletes on our roster than we've had so far under Johnson. I can usually muster up a stupid prediction for the season, but I've got no clue.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's a couple of tidbits I found interesting:

Meanwhile, Georgia Tech's 713 rushing attempts in 2013 were down from 808 in 2012. It was still a big number for almost every other program in the nation, but it was the Yellow Jackets' fewest since Johnson's first season.

(I did not know that.)

"Still people (say) we need to throw it more," Johnson said. "No. We need to complete it more and have a higher percentage and be in situations so that when we throw it, it works."

(Contrary to some beliefs, Johnson doesn't hate to throw the ball. Actually, he likes it very much... when it works. That's what he keeps telling folks but very few listen.)

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a couple of tidbits I found interesting:

Meanwhile, Georgia Tech's 713 rushing attempts in 2013 were down from 808 in 2012. It was still a big number for almost every other program in the nation, but it was the Yellow Jackets' fewest since Johnson's first season.

(I did not know that.)

"Still people (say) we need to throw it more," Johnson said. "No. We need to complete it more and have a higher percentage and be in situations so that when we throw it, it works."

(Contrary to some beliefs, Johnson doesn't hate to throw the ball. Actually, he likes it very much... when it works. That's what he keeps telling folks but very few listen.)

I can see how in our system, if we run the option well then we will pass more effectively. I think CPJ also mentions in the article that his system is built off the triple option. If you can't run the option well then all of the variations in the running game and your play action passing are less effective. You lose a lot of the deception and confusion that CPJ's system can cause.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if we see a game this year where we do not attempt a pass.

I would think it could happen in one of the first three games, but I would hate to waste the weapons we have at receiver right now. I would think that Johnson will throw if we've got guys who can catch it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we see a game this year where we do not attempt a pass.

I would think CPJ wants to take advantage of having Deandre Smelter. Plus, we have to show a willingness to throw the ball to keep the defense from loading the box.

That's not to say CPJ may just grind drives on the ground if we get up on opponents to milk the clock. I for one would welcome the death marches.