Jim Morris - Final Trip to Russ Chandler

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach Morris is retiring at the end of the season. This weekend marks his final trip to Russ Chandler. I spent many hours (poorly prioritizing my time at Ga Tech) in the late 80's at Russ Chandler watching Coach Morris dominate the competition. It was a different era.. one I miss... where speed & small ball were more prevalent. He was very good at it and put an entertaining and productive product out on the field. I still remember nudging elbows with my buds giddy with confidence every time Ty Griffin reached 1st base (via walk or hit) because on the VERY next pitch...he'd be standing on 2nd with another stolen base.

I took a look at the coaching history at Ga Tech (see below). Things that jump out at me:

- Coach Morris has highest winning % percentage all time at Tech at .674
- Coaches Morris and Hall (over the last 37 years of baseball at Ga Tech) account for 62% of all the wins in the 119 year history of baseball at Ga Tech.
- Ga Tech has had only 4 baseball coaches since the end of WWII - Joe Pittard, Jim Luck, Jim Morris, and Danny Hall
- Bobby Dodd was a terrible baseball coach. :inpain: ...according to these numbers. Who knew?
- John Heisman had 59 "fewer" wins (163) in 14 years coaching baseball than points in a single football game against Cumberland. (y)

upload_2018-3-27_21-47-32.png